Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums
Universal Capstan Motor

Go Back   Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums > Tape, Taping and Tape Machines > Cassette

Cassette All discussions pertaining to cassette decks. These include general usage, recording, playback and service questions. For subjects related to tape itself, see the Cassette Tape subforum under this one. Obscure service subjects that don't quite fit go in the Help and Do It Yourself subforum.

Donate to Tapeheads!

Old 05-19-2017, 06:33 AM
TapeHeads.Net Member

Frustrated Dragon Power Supply Problem - Please help!

Hi all,

So, my Dragon started acting up yeterday and I found that the Auto Azimuth belt had to be replaced. Replacing the belt wasnt too hard, but after I had the unit back together, I plugged it in and... nothing. The counter lights up and thats all.

So I started investigating if I accidentally disconnected something... and I noticed that I smashed pin 1 of CN-34 a against the chassis, causing a short! Oh no...

I obviously fixed the short, but +12V on CN-34 and -12V on CN-10 are dead.
I measured resistance on the +12V pin of CN-34 and it shows a 70 Ohms resistance to ground, which I also think is too low. Not sure what is causing this.

I tested Q402 and it measures fine. Im not very familiar with the Dragon electronics so I have no idea what to look for and where. All I know is that this accidental short made something fail. Fuses are OK.

Im so sad right now, what was a simple belt change now made my Dragon an expensive paperweight!

I appreciate any input.
Old 05-19-2017, 03:16 PM
Highly Biased

Open fuse? That is what should happen with an accidental short. Each secondary of the power transformer has its own fuse.
Old 05-19-2017, 03:53 PM
Serious Tapehead

Like Nakdoc said. (see below pics)

100_5979.jpg 100_5980.jpg

You will see the original Fuses are pigtails & soldered in.

I suggest you convert them all to clip in fuse holders like I did. See below.

100_5981.jpg

100_5983.jpg

100_6017.jpg

Note: I did not damage or modify the original board that can be seen. I only had to slightly open the solder holes in the board so the clips could be inserted flush with the board (like a factory job) & soldered in. My fuses were not blown so all I did was fold the pigtails under the fuses & clipped the fuses into the holders.

Note #2: I did NOT need cut the cable ties or unsolder any wires from the Fuse Board to remove the original Fuses & drill a little bigger holes to solder in the Fuse Clips.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by 390FE; 05-19-2017 at 03:56 PM.
Old 05-19-2017, 07:04 PM
TapeHeads.Net Member

Hi guys, thanks for replying.

Fuses were OK, they did not open, not sure why! I guess current never rose high enough and something blew first.

I spent the afternoon reading the schematics and figured some transistor should be bad. After some testing, found Q403 defective, that was the problem.

OK, so now I have it working again but have another question: I noticed one of my level adjustment trimpots to be 'noisy'. After taking it apart, I found it is actually broken. Where am I gonna find a replcament for this? Any ideas?
Old 05-19-2017, 07:46 PM
Serious Tapehead

Can you post some clear pics of it along with it's ohm value?
Old 05-20-2017, 01:24 PM
Highly Biased

The controls usually show up as a unit on ebay, and they sell for a lot. I would post a request here, and maybe you'll discover someone with one to spare.
Old 05-21-2017, 06:47 AM
TapeHeads.Net Member

I have a attached a pic so everyone knows what Im talking about.

If they run for a lot, that probably means this things break often, as many need them. I didnt even know mine was broken and to be honest I never pushed it hard or anything that could explain the damage. I guess they are not very sturdy. I guess I'll just have to find a fix without replacing it...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Foto 20-05-17 08 46 37.jpg (62.0 KB, 13 views)

Would you like to see your company or site here?  CONTACT US
For more Tapeheads affiliates and links, see the Links and Resources page.