Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums
High quality analog audio tape for professionals and enthusiasts alike.

Go Back   Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums > Service, Restorations, Helpful How-Tos, Parts and Manuals, Ads and More! > Uncategorized Help and Do It Yourself

Uncategorized Help and Do It Yourself Got a technical problem or question that doesn't really belong in any of our ordinary (reel-to-reel, cassette, etc.) categories? Ask it here.

Donate to Tapeheads!

Old 01-14-2018, 07:20 AM
Skywave Tape Deck Repair

Here it is found.

Sam Palermo, BSEE , ProSquad Member
Skywave Tape Deck Repair- Chicago area
(630)616-0932 Office/ Email skywavebe@sbcglobal.net
Past Teac/Tascam Lead Service Technician at Chicago Factory Service still doing repairs.
http://s609729863.onlinehome.us/tape...uipment-repair
Now accepting MC, Visa, Amex & Discover Cards!
Old 01-14-2018, 07:34 AM
Serious Tapehead

This one is complete. https://archive.org/download/TheArtO...lectronics.pdf

"Well, art is art, isn't it? Still, on the other hand, water is water. And east is east and west is west, and if you take cranberries and stew them like applesauce, they taste much more like prunes than rhubarb does. Now, uh... Now you tell me what you know."
Old 01-14-2018, 10:07 AM
Highly Biased

I do not intend to be discouraging. Goodness knows I am a big promoter for "growing" a new crop of tape and audio technicians. What I am telling you is the books and courses cover general electronics to the extent that you'll be lucky to read even one chapter that pertains to audio. Add to that the hundreds of variations modern engineers have created in power supplies, amplifiers, and processing circuits, and the prospects of understanding these using general book knowledge is dim.
I took Physics 333 in college. It covered DC, AC, semiconductor modelling, and even had an intro to op-amps. But when I tried to repair a blown Dynaco Stereo 120 amp, it took a bloody week! Thank heavens for the "Cricket" transistor tester (and other crutches). it took me a year on the bench after college to Understand how circuit voltages can confirm that a transistor is working (or not). I capitalize Understand because a disconnect exists between the mathematical modeling of a circuit and the real thing.
Teaching yourself to solder, and having some great mechanical skills will be the best tasks for a beginner to focus on. If you are reading books, try to have a few pieces of equipment around that you can actually measure and observe. Get a receiver at Goodwill (one with discrete outputs) and print out the schematic. Read about DC and then look at the receiver's power supply. Read about AC, hook up your 'scope (another important instrument to learn!) and look at the AC signals in the receiver. Teach yourself where the AC is and where it isn't. Learn the differences between a transistor amplifier and a transistor switch. Learn which transistor terminals have gain and which do not. learn the difference between voltage and current gain. Learn about attenuation. Investigate the bandpass/bandwidth wonders of AC.
Above all, try to learn which tools to use, why and when to use them, and what their limitations might be. Digital voltmeters, oscillators, FM generators, AC voltmeters, oscilloscopes, DC power supplies, AC signal tracers, reference tapes, and component testers all tend to be found on a professional technician's workbench.
Old 01-14-2018, 10:40 AM
Todays Tom Sawyer

Thanks to Sam and Warren for finding the missing chapter 1. It's not good when a book to help learn about electronics, especially in a thread about learning electronics, is missing the first chapter, called Fundamentals. I'll be reading through this book in the days, weeks and months to come. You never stop learning!

Thank you gentlemen!
Old 01-14-2018, 11:33 AM
Serious Tapehead

Many thanks, Warren.
Old 01-14-2018, 01:55 PM
Skywave Tape Deck Repair

Great book Warren!
Learning Electronics beyond the theory can be hard at the beginning. Even when fresh out of 2 year college I could not build a transistor amplifier so I got out the old wireless bread board and resistors and a fresh 2N3904 and started in at making one myself- it doe snot work as easy if you just throw parts together. There is Bias, load lines, emitter bypass capacitors and coupling to deal with but after a time of study I did come up with a working circuit. There are lots of experiments that you can do to get ready to work on tape decks. Marlin P Jones and Assoc. is a place that you can get a lot of good parts and so good deals on Proto board or as they call them wireless bread boards. With a pile of telco wire to make jumpers, you can come up with all kinds of circuits and diagram them and then make then on more permanent boards. If you suspect a part is not working or good this is just the place to test it.
Check it out-
http://www.mpja.com/830-Tie-Point-So...info/24444+TE/

Sam Palermo, BSEE , ProSquad Member
Skywave Tape Deck Repair- Chicago area
(630)616-0932 Office/ Email skywavebe@sbcglobal.net
Past Teac/Tascam Lead Service Technician at Chicago Factory Service still doing repairs.
http://s609729863.onlinehome.us/tape...uipment-repair
Now accepting MC, Visa, Amex & Discover Cards!
Old 01-14-2018, 01:59 PM
Serious Tapehead

I'll 2nd that Nakmandan Gonna take many cups of coffee to get thru this one

John
Old 01-14-2018, 08:23 PM
Serious Tapehead

One of the things I really like about "The Art Of electronics" is that as they teach you the building blocks, they then show you how they are used in a circuit, so you do get the practical application. right after they explain how a transistor works, they show you a simple amplifier and explain it. At the end of each chapter are examples of "bad circuits" with explanations of why they are bad. It's like the Hitchhiker's Guide for electronic technicians. It just doesn't say "Don't Panic" on the cover.

"Well, art is art, isn't it? Still, on the other hand, water is water. And east is east and west is west, and if you take cranberries and stew them like applesauce, they taste much more like prunes than rhubarb does. Now, uh... Now you tell me what you know."
Old 01-14-2018, 10:05 PM
Serious Tapehead

I just downloaded "The Art of Electronics". It looks like a very good reference book. Thanks Warren.

Jeff
Looks like some sort of secreted resin. Yeah, but secreted from *what*?

Would you like to see your company or site here?  CONTACT US
For more Tapeheads affiliates and links, see the Links and Resources page.