Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums
High quality analog audio tape for professionals and enthusiasts alike.

Go Back   Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums > General Audio Discussions > Scores, Woulda-Coulda-Shoulda and Tall Tales

Scores, Woulda-Coulda-Shoulda and Tall Tales Big scores and other bar stories. Get something you've been wanting for 20 years? Find something on sale for 90% off? In the right place at the right time? Miss that elusive piece? Tell us about your sweet finds and epic fails.

Donate to Tapeheads!

Old 12-23-2017, 06:28 PM
Live Long and Prosper..

Christmas Score, thanks SANTA and the audio gods!

He shoots he scores!!!!...

Hot off the market, and saved from E-Waste dumpster, are you ready for this,..

Realistic STA-2000! This thing is heavy heavy man, wow. Seemingly well equipped it's P/O claims to have smoked the thing trying to power it up without using a Variac. According to what I've read the last 10 minutes, these are very highly regarded, well built, the Shacks most powerful 'Monster Receiver' for 1978. If weight is any indicator it's a monster alright.

To me the looks put it somewhere between a Pioneer and a Concept receiver. lots of buttons and switches all there too. A little rough some surface rust on the lit corners where dirt sat for a long time, the wood is all there and restorable with little fuss. The paint I'll powder coat or take to the body shop and have the painter prime and paint it black next time he has a black car in the booth to paint, then I'll slip him a 20$, once it's baked.

So Tapeheads experts, what say you about this gem in the rough? it's a keeper if it can be repaired, perfect to use on my workbench or for an extra kit for Mrs Macman.

I also scored a early 80's Technics mini receiver. It's normal length but 1/2 depth and 2/3 height as popular receivers were sized back then . I remember that Technics line silver or black that used an STK amp module. In the same haul, I also picked up a similar size Pioneer receiver, with built in graphic EQ, lots of plastic in front, from a mid-late 80's BPC rack system stereo, when Pioneers consumer level lower priced gear took a big nose-dive. This one also has the STK module I saw inside. The Technics is all metal reasonably heavy, and looks to be worth fixing, now that is a perfect bench testing unit, with the Pioneer as backup or for spare parts if nothing else.

The Realistic is the deal here. I'll post photos before I start the clean up and diagnostic phase. I have Christmas duties to perform, another Christmas tree ans decorations to put up.

Please post your thoughts ideas, and memories about the Realistic, the Technics, even the Pioneer. I'll post the Pioneer and Technics model numbers later as well.
Old 12-23-2017, 08:55 PM
Serious Tapehead

That is ONE of Radio Shack's best receivers. This mini Monster at a conservitive 75wpc RMS was their first entery into high power receivers. It got rave reviews and it's improved replacement the 2000D also got rave reviews.

These are excellent receivers well worth restoring. I have the D version and it is great, built like a tank, a lot of good clean power (with a good amount in reserve). I also have another Realistic mini Monster the STA-2200 as well as their Monsters STA-2100, 2100D & 2300 all built like tanks, sound and look great to boot! Excellent build quality and will easily and gladly take lots of abuse and come back for more dishing out it's brand of justice and loving it!

I know you WILL LOVE this mini Monster Realistic receiver.

Merry Christmas!!!
Old 12-23-2017, 09:47 PM
Serious Tapehead

Radio shack made some really underrated audio gear in the 80s.
Aiwa ADS-950 USA, ADS-950E Europe, Akai GX-M50, Carver TD-1700(Aiwa AD-F780/AD-F880) Nakamichi Dragon, ZX-9, RX505, Deck 2, Pioneer CT-S920S, Revox B-215, Sony TCK1ESA, TCK717ES, Yamaha KX1200U, KX530, KX393.
Old 12-24-2017, 04:47 AM
Serious Tapehead

Congrats man, but its always curious that something heavy must be always something good sounding.

My family are in motorbike racing since three generations and be shure: heavy is totally out !
Old 12-24-2017, 04:54 AM
Serious Tapehead

Photo would be nice.
Aiwa ADS-950 USA, ADS-950E Europe, Akai GX-M50, Carver TD-1700(Aiwa AD-F780/AD-F880) Nakamichi Dragon, ZX-9, RX505, Deck 2, Pioneer CT-S920S, Revox B-215, Sony TCK1ESA, TCK717ES, Yamaha KX1200U, KX530, KX393.
Old 12-24-2017, 07:39 AM
Serious Tapehead

Nice saves, Phil. Concentrating on the Realistic STA-2000 - that receiver is worth putting some time and attention into. I have been a longtime fan of Realistic vintage components. I have had several Realistic receivers which I bought for $40, or less, then resold to my kids' friends who wanted a receiver to power their turntables. The most recent Realistic receiver was an STA-2080. It was in flawless condition and it is currently on consignment sale at Innovative Audio. I traded a few components in order to get it. It sat for quite awhile, unsold, at my local hang-out "The Volume Room."

The Realistic gear of the 70's to 80's are undervalued. Buying a comparable Pioneer of the same specs will cost you anywhere from 20% - 40% more.

Here is my STA-2080 sitting atop my Pioneer SX-1980. I have a couple of videos of it in operation, too.

Nando.
Old 01-13-2018, 02:40 PM
Live Long and Prosper..

I managed to finally pull the lid and bottom of then dig into it. I found 3 of the Channel A (1, Left etc) with 3 resistors turned to ashes, 2 regular 1/2 watt and the other a 1 Watt orange in color, the others are the typical tan type. Oddly enough, no blown fuses,.. and I forget the position and ratings off the top of my head, they are written down in my notes, along with 2 failed Zener diodes, at minimum 2 small driver transistors. I didn't pull the OP transistors, all 4 complementary pairs match, and along with everything else inside looks fine and original, no signs of tinkering or other repairs.

There are some other things needed, including bulbs, a decent deep clean and complete checkover. My plan is to make it well enough to look it over while up and running, from top to bottom. Then I can make a full list of parts to restore it. Right now, the plan includes all LED lighting, a full recap replacing all 'lytics, filter caps, & each polar 'lytic smaller than .47uf in the audio paths using non-polar Wima film caps, as well as any tantalums scattered about. While it's apart, all the small parts go thru the US cleaner, the top and bottom get a fresh coat of spatter paint after light sanding. Wood sides, I either veneer them again, or make a new set from furniture grade plywood then stain and poly to taste. Each individual PC board will be cleaned while servicing them, to remove any glue, dirt or other detritus. All heat stressed smaller transistors and diodes will also be replaced. The small signal boards for Phono stage and tone circuits will get the same treatment, as well as all switches controls and relay. All rear panel phono and speaker posts are similarly be serviced or repaired if needed.

Being a receiver, the tuner AM & FM sections will need my full attentions via a full recap then alignment. I will do those last after I get the HP 8640 Generator, and Sencore SG165 or similar unit, to set each section up. I have not decided on what I want or need along with the HP8640 for performing complete alignments. Perhaps I will start another thread dedicated to the subject.

It'll take me a bit to raise the $$ for parts to do the Full Monte, I have customer work here to do in the meantime. Once I do get focused on it, the time needed for completion may take over a month or more. Customer pay work here has to be done to pay the bills, any personal gear takes a back seat.

Those other 2 receivers (Pioneer and Technics) I picked up with this Realistic are completely repaired and operating again. I'll post separate threads with a full description of what was done for each. People seem more interested in the STA-2000, I can't say I blame them. It's a nice, affordable, well designed receiver. I plan to use these other 2 receivers as guinea pigs to learn on for setting up AM and FM/Stereo tuner sections using the SG165 and HP8640 together. The better of the 2 will perform bench duty, the other a back up. The STA-2000 goes into a second system for Mrs Macman, she's been patiently waiting for over a year for something she can use while doing things around the house or while chilling out.

I plan to do a full thread in TH's DIY with photos, completely documenting the process for anyone interested. My Camera batt's are still dead 3 weeks on now. Once I get to BJ's, I'll pick some more up, then post photos. What I need are a dozen AA Eneloop batteries and charger, that way I don't need to buy batteries every couple weeks when shooting photos or videos.

I might start shooting video on this very project, to get some idea of the entire video-making process. If it works, I'd like to possibly start a YouTube channel, one where others can follow along if interested.

Last edited by macman007; 01-13-2018 at 03:07 PM.
Old 01-13-2018, 11:12 PM
Serious Tapehead

The STA-2000 uses wedge bulbs and sockets like the automotive 194 and instrument cluster 1/4 ~ 1/2 twist sockets like used on cars from the 80s back into the 60s. This should make it VERY easy to convert to LEDs at a very low cost. And IF you need those sockets just look on Ebay in the automotive sections for instrument cluster bulb sockets to get the best price. They will be sold in lots of like ten for like a couple bucks total, WAY cheaper than any auto/parts store.

Good luck on your resto of this Mini Beast, hope it is an easy fix and resto.

Would you like to see your company or site here?  CONTACT US
For more Tapeheads affiliates and links, see the Links and Resources page.