Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums
High quality analog audio tape for professionals and enthusiasts alike.

Go Back   Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums > Tape, Taping and Tape Machines > Cassette

Cassette All discussions pertaining to cassette decks. These include general usage, recording, playback and service questions. For subjects related to tape itself, see the Cassette Tape subforum under this one. Obscure service subjects that don't quite fit go in the Help and Do It Yourself subforum.

Donate to Tapeheads!

Old 12-23-2016, 06:42 AM
TapeHeads.Net Member

New to forum, just picked up a Carver TD-1200

Greetings everyone, I just found this site and wanted to introduce myself.

I grew up with cassette decks in the 70's and 80's, and recently found an old box of cassettes I made off the radio way back when...

I wanted to hear what's on them, so I checked out a local thrift store and "voila!" - I found a nice Carver TD-1200 deck, but it's in need of a new play belt (already ordered!) and there may be something wrong with the brake that locks the spindles in place (FF/RWD barely work, because the pawls that lock the gears in place won't retract so they're buzzing and grinding and making a general racket.)

Looking forward to learning all I can from this site, and getting the TD-1200 up and hopefully running like new soon!
Old 12-23-2016, 07:45 AM
Serious Tapehead

A fellow Marylander. Welcome! The amount of knowledge here is amazing.
Myself not included.
Old 12-23-2016, 09:44 AM
Serious Tapehead

Welcome to Tapeheads!
Old 12-23-2016, 10:13 AM
Jammis Archivivist

Didn't realize they made decks. Looks nice. I'll assume it was made in Japan, but by who.....
Old 12-23-2016, 10:42 AM
Serious Tapehead

They didn't made decks, its an OEM deck, not shure made from Sanyo or Sony "Made in China" ?
Old 12-23-2016, 02:08 PM
TapeHeads.Net Member

The deck is stamped "Made in Japan", so it dates to before everyone moved their manufacturing to China.

I opened it up, it's going to be "fun" replacing the belt. The flywheel has a bearing on the back, as well as the capstan side, so I'll have to take the mechanism out and partly disassemble things to get a belt around it.

I'll have to cut some wires to remove the mechanism because many of the leads are soldered, instead of using connectors, and there's no excess length to work with. The deck seems to have been designed without much thought for servicing things down the road. CD's were in full swing when this deck was made, so I guess they figured "who's going to need a cassette deck in 10 more years, anyway?"
Old 12-23-2016, 03:25 PM
Confined tapehead

The play trim is a very strong clue, as NAD and Yamaha were the only ones to ever offer this feature. I think it's based on Yamaha KX-260; the features are almost equivalent;
  • Play trim
  • Bias adjust
  • Two motors
  • The front plate layout - cassette well to the left, transport buttons and counter center, the rest to the right
  • HX Pro
  • Produced 1990-1992
  • Weight ~4.5kg

Cheers, Richard
Old 12-23-2016, 03:34 PM
Confined tapehead

It's a NAD 6340

I am wiser now. I have changed my mind. The Carver TD-1200 has to be a NAD 6340. It has the exact same feature set, and almost the exact same layout.

Which means it has serious potential; I hope you can bring it back to life

Cheers, Richard
Old 12-23-2016, 07:27 PM
TapeHeads.Net Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by richlooker View Post
I am wiser now. I have changed my mind. The Carver TD-1200 has to be a NAD 6340. It has the exact same feature set, and almost the exact same layout.

Cheers, Richard
Thank you!

I believe you're right... the internals look identical, and the Carver switches look more 'modern' but everything is in the same place (I checked out other images of the NAD6340 in this forum.) This is going to help a lot with finding servicing tips.

I have the deck all buttoned up for now, but when the frenzy dies down after Christmas, I'll open it up again and post some photos. Hopefully I'll have the new belt soon, and can document fixing that. I never had a deck, back in the day, with HX Pro. The highest-end deck I owned had Dolby C and metal tape capability, which was state-of-the-art then and sounded pretty good. Can't wait to get this deck up and running, and hear what HX Pro adds.
Old 12-24-2016, 06:01 AM
Serious Tapehead

Quote:

Cheers, Richard
Wow ! Great news ! You can go to my site I have a lot pictures of the 6340 :

One of the best two header ever made. Its a real exquisite circle around this decks.

But "DynEQ" isn't written anywhere ? Look into the red circle, this is the DynEQ circuit with the 2 cal pots (on the bottom left side) for it. We must look into the service manual of the carver....

Last edited by lucky; 12-24-2016 at 06:09 AM.
Old 12-24-2016, 09:52 AM
Sendust for brains

Most Carver decks were OEMd by Sanyo. That NAD/Carver has "Sanyo" written all over it, from the look and clutter of the boards to the green plastic used on those filters.

I RESTORE VINTAGE AUDIO AND VIDEO GEAR. Master technician for Concept, Quadraflex, Calibre, Pioneer and Sony. Endorsed by Richard Schram for Concept product restoration. Factory technician for both Yamaha and JVC. Sonics consultant for Denon. Pacific Stereo store manager, service manager, Central Service lead tech, liquidator at our demise. Pacific Stereo curator. Infinity IRS dealer. Music buyer for one of the first CD retailers in the USA. Authorized servicer for virtually every brand on the planet at one time or another. Music addict. Mastering & recording engineer, weaned on a Neve (no other console sounds like a Neve!). Industry-respected ears. Head Tapehead.

Need vintage audio & video repair and restoration, or unobtanium semiconductors and parts? Ask me! And do visit the website: pacificstereo.net
Old 12-25-2016, 12:55 PM
Confined tapehead

I cannot find an electronic version of the service manual anywhere, but there's an original for sale here:

https://www.webstore.com/item,pgr,Ca...uction_details

Specs:

Cheers, Richard
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 89712-carver_td1200_tape_deck_with_manual.jpg (88.4 KB, 152 views)

Last edited by richlooker; 12-25-2016 at 01:04 PM.
Old 12-26-2016, 11:20 AM
TapeHeads.Net Member

Quote:
I cannot find an electronic version of the service manual anywhere, but there's an original for sale here:

https://www.webstore.com/item,pgr,Ca...uction_details
Thank you! I hope I don't need it, but we'll see - if/when I can get the new belt in there. Trying to remove the mechanism last week was like trying to solve a rubik's cube, so I stopped and put it all back together before I got in too deep.
Old 12-26-2016, 12:58 PM
Serious Tapehead

If its analog to NAD, there are only four or five screws to losen.
Old 12-27-2016, 11:23 AM
TapeHeads.Net Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky View Post
If its analog to NAD, there are only four or five screws to losen.
I removed the 4 screws that held the mechanism in place, and it was loose, but I couldn't seem to work it free and pull it out from the back (I did slide the tape door off, first, before anyone asks.) Since I didn't have any more time then to work on it, I decided the best course of action (while my memory was still fresh) was to put it back together, until the new belt arrived (hopefully today).

When I have it in front of me again, I'll see if maybe removing the anodized aluminum faceplate first will help. Perhaps on the Carver design, it needs to come out from the front?

In any case, this is my first attempt at repairing an old cassette deck, so forgive me if I may not seem like I know what I'm doing (I don't... )
Old 12-27-2016, 11:35 AM
Serious Tapehead

No, if its lose, it can be pull out to the back. But its not necessary to remove the drive. You can pull the belt behind the back capstan bearing. Only press the wheel to the front and move the belt through the gap.

Please dont do anything else, it cost the service man 5 minutes and you possibly not more the 20$ including the belt ! All other is damaging the deck !

Last edited by lucky; 12-27-2016 at 11:38 AM.
Old 12-27-2016, 03:08 PM
Serious Tapehead

What Sanyo deck is the equal to the Carver deck ?
Old 01-03-2017, 10:54 AM
TapeHeads.Net Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky View Post
No, if its lose, it can be pull out to the back. But its not necessary to remove the drive. You can pull the belt behind the back capstan bearing. Only press the wheel to the front and move the belt through the gap.

Please dont do anything else, it cost the service man 5 minutes and you possibly not more the 20$ including the belt ! All other is damaging the deck !
Thank you for this advice! I got the new belt in yesterday.

At first I thought "what gap?", because I couldn't see one at all. Turns out the rear nylon bearing isn't an actual bearing, it's more of a "cup" to catch the flywheel axle if it's pushed backwards, and even though it can't be seen, there's a slim gap (maybe 1mm) in there. I was able to fold a long piece of blue painter's tape lengthwise, and slip it through this gap, then I taped the new belt to the end of this 'tool', and pulled it through the gap with minimal resistance.

I owe you a beer!
Old 01-03-2017, 11:18 AM
Serious Tapehead

I drink Hemelinger ! Great that you got it !
Old 01-03-2017, 08:30 PM
TapeHeads.Net Member

Well, I'm going to have more work to do.

Playing back some old tapes, there was terrible wow & flutter, severe loss of mid and high frequencies, and random fluctuations in modulation levels, especially in the left channel.

The capstan/pinch roller are very smooth, but there's squeaking/grabbing from the supply/takeup spindles, so I suspect that's causing a lot of the wow & flutter. FF/RWD performance is very poor, too, probably from the same cause.

I have no idea what's causing the severe attenuation of high frequencies, or the modulation fluctuations.

I created a test WAV file with 60 seconds of white noise, 30 seconds of 3KHz test tone, and 30 seconds of 10KHz test tone; I recorded this to the deck, with record level optimized, then captured the playback. It shows the fluctuations, deadening in the left channel, and the increasing losses at higher frequencies.

I've cleaned the heads, but I haven't demagnetized them yet. I doubt this is responsible for the other problems, though.

Tomorrow I'll check/lubricate the spindles, to see if that fixes the wow & flutter issue. I'll also check for any fluctuations in the power supply output.

Last edited by vjp62; 01-03-2017 at 08:44 PM.

Would you like to see your company or site here?  CONTACT US
For more Tapeheads affiliates and links, see the Links and Resources page.