Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums
Universal Capstan Motor

Go Back   Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums > Tape, Taping and Tape Machines > Reel To Reel

Reel To Reel All discussions pertaining to reel to reel decks. These include general usage, recording, playback, and service questions. For subjects related to tape itself, see the Open Reel subforum under this one. Obscure service subjects that don't quite fit go in the Help and Do It Yourself subforum.

Donate to Tapeheads!

Old 01-05-2016, 09:51 PM
Burning Tape

The OFFICIAL Crown Cabinet Thread

I just had to do. We needed an 'official' thread.

I'll post the early black-banded cabinet pics and info when I'm at the other computer.

Others, please post pics and any other info you have on currently available cabinets for Crown tape machines. Since they are rack mountable all those standard racks would work but this is about nice on display stereo cabinetry.
Old 01-06-2016, 06:09 AM
Triageaudio enthusiast (Tapeheads Supporter)

Crown Cabinets

I got lucky and bought from Craig's list an old SX-724 that was in a Taveren instead of a juke box. I scored this "black banded" cabinet you started your thread about. Also along with the deal was 5 brand new still wrapped in plastic 10.5" Scotch blank tape on nice metal reels with boxes. I had to clean nicotine off of everything the only thing that worked for me was believe it or no was WD-40. SX-724 pictured with a mint condition travel case. I posted them on my gallery also.

http://imgur.com/gallery/OQvI2
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (103.4 KB, 79 views)
Old 01-06-2016, 06:35 AM
audiophool deluxe

I'll take pics of my early black banded one later that my SS824 is in.
One of my best friends is a master carpenter/cabinet maker and audiophile/musician. I showed him my cabinet and he said he could make them no problem. He is going to make me one for my SX824. He also said he would be willing to make them for others and he can make them custom heights and finishes depending on your needs.
He has built me several speaker cabinets in the past and also built the solid cherry base for my Marantz SLT-12u.

Dave
Old 01-06-2016, 02:06 PM
Burning Tape

OK, I warned you that I was coming back to this thread.

Here is an SX-724 in the Black Banded Crown Cabinet.

This machine is sporting the ever lovely Sony NAB adapters in sexy silver and black evening wear pinned to the machine with the thread on cones used to hold the 7" reels on the deck. One option for those that do not have the correct parts for the Crown NAB adapters. This is fiddly but it is much better than the cheap plastic plugs that are on the bay for 25 bucks or so. I tried the Teac TZ-612, twist lock on and off but the 7" retaining cones were too big to hole the Teacs. Haven't tried the Pioneer or the similar but much better fitting Tandbergs plugs with the 7" retainers.

As you can see the cabinet is 2 RU taller than needed as it has the tape counter at the top and a vented 1 RU blank at the bottom

Other views of this cabinet without the gear:

and

Here is a CX-824 showing the same cabinet in a better light with only on open space, at the bottom, filled with a Crown D-40 power amp. The CX electronics are 4 RU tall, the SX is just 3RU tall. Add speakers and this is a Tape Recorder, self contained able to play tapes out in the wilds or your living room or wherever.

If I don't see some fine examples of the later Jeln cabinets, I will grab them from somewhere and post them.

If I don't get Silkysam to show up and post his nice-racks.com slanted rack he recently got, I'll send him an annoying PM. Then we have to get the others that know folks that can make the Jeln replica cabinets or new designs to show up and provide contact information so all those with loose Crown decks held together with a rack rail can decide if a nice cabinet is for them.

I'll leave the inclusion of the travel cases up to those that have them to decide if they want to be in the 'OFFICIAL' Crown Cabinet Thread or not.

Last edited by Mark J; 01-06-2016 at 02:12 PM.
Old 01-06-2016, 06:15 PM
The King of CROWN!

Smile

I'll post some pictures this weekend.
Old 01-07-2016, 06:40 AM
aka The Tape Man

Reelspin

My SX 822 in the original JELN Cabinet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1928.jpg (64.6 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1929.jpg (66.1 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1960.jpg (63.5 KB, 53 views)

El Magnifico "live and let live"
Visit: http://mortechpr.wix.com/cassetteadventures
Old 01-07-2016, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Magnifico View Post
My SX 822 in the original JELN Cabinet.
El Magnifico - If that cabinet is original JELN ? Someone please shed some light on this JELN cabinet maker. The cabinet I have is a Crown model 19C - I'm not getting this JELN cabinet everyone talks about. I'm about to drag my radial armed saw out of the back of my garage buy a lot or two of walnut and make a half a dozen really nice racks and offer up for sale, if you guys keep it up.
Old 01-07-2016, 07:52 AM
R2R hoarder and vintage stereo addict

Smile

Still waiting on the annoying PM!
Old 01-07-2016, 10:23 AM
aka The Tape Man

It seems to me that Jeln made the cabinets for Crown, AFAIK.

Old 01-07-2016, 10:38 AM
Burning Tape

The Jeln-made cabinets were the Crown offering starting in about 1973/4. The amp I bought in Nov 74 had the banded cabinet but the Jeln was seen very shortly after that.

The Jeln cabinet would be the easiest to duplicate as it is just the four pieces with each side piece having a thick piece of thinned particle board recessed on the front and top and extended on the bottom to act as feet and interlock with the recess in the top. This piece was painted black. On a reproduction I might consider making this piece out of hardboard. These were available in 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 19 and maybe other RU heights with and without vents and deep or shallow. Used on all the gear that Crown offered during the heyday in the US Home market, 1974-1982 or so.

A bay search will yield a number of cabinets for the gear in the lower number RUs and pictures to get an idea of the build I've explained.

Pictures offered on some of the smaller units, I have 2, 3, 4 and vented, non-vented, shallow and deep units, provided if requested since this is the Official thread.

Silky, now that you have seen the thread, grab the url of the pics in your other post and put them here if you would or post some new pics of your nice-rack.

Last edited by Mark J; 01-07-2016 at 10:42 AM.
Old 01-07-2016, 12:03 PM

Reelspin

Here are the pics of the empty cabinet front and side then the Crown in place and finally the Crown finished with tape counter and splicing block.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (91.6 KB, 58 views)
Old 01-07-2016, 12:06 PM

Sorry always have trouble posting pics with phone
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (89.7 KB, 51 views)
Old 01-07-2016, 04:36 PM
Jammis Archivivist

Where did you get those caps on your reel retainers? The original ones aren't tight enough with metal reels.
Old 01-07-2016, 05:11 PM

Here are the pics from my home computer. Sorry about the duplicates.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg crown1.jpeg (110.2 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpeg crown2.jpeg (107.6 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg crown4.jpg (133.3 KB, 59 views)
Old 01-08-2016, 05:14 AM
aka The Tape Man

Reelspin

Those adapters are not Crown, I believe. They were used by Ampex, Scully, Otari and other old machines if I'm not mistaken. I saw a couple of those at Fleabay for sale but I wasn't sure if they fit on my Crowns.

Old 02-13-2016, 08:58 AM
Serious Tapehead

Finally, a proper case for the Crown

I've been working about a month on finishing the new cabinet for my Crown. It is finally complete and looks great. I have this thread to thank for turning me on to nice-racks.com and their "Rackmaster" David Tatelbaum.

I sent Dave an e-mail asking about his slanted face rack. I wanted to discuss the dimensions of the rack and possible material options. He agreed to reduce the depth of the piece to better fit the tape deck and offered several hardwood options. Dave was great; he happily quoted me different hardwoods including mahogany, walnut, cherry, and even rosewood.

I decided on walnut and Dave made the rack out of some gorgeous American walnut and shipped it to me unfinished, as we agreed.

I wanted a nice, multi-coat, hand-rubbed oil finish like one sees on expensive speakers, headphones, and other high-end audio equipment. The only way to afford such a labor intensive finish is to DIY. Fortunately, I work from home and am able to spend the 1 to 2 hours per day required for an extended period.

The case is finished only with Danish oil and wax. No stain, filler or other product was used. In order to get the gloss, wet sanding is required along the way. I did not want to eliminate all of the grain with the wet sanding, but enough to give a nice gloss.

So.... 28 coats of Danish oil, nine wet sandings, and four coats of wax later: I finally have a case worthy of the tape deck.

Many thanks to Dave and those here for all the help.

The first photo shows the case with a wash coat of oil on the inside as protection; you can see the difference in color the oil alone makes. The second photo is after the outside was finished, dried and waxed. The third photo has "Skelvis" showing off the gloss, the forth shows the unit at night with the Furman lights switched on and the last photo shows my entire rig.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Crown Case 1.jpg (78.6 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg Crown Case 2.jpg (111.2 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg Crown Case 3.jpg (67.7 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg Crown Case 4.jpg (57.3 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg Analogatorium.jpg (71.3 KB, 54 views)
Old 02-13-2016, 09:45 AM
Burning Tape

Nice but we need to know how you did the finish. Products and process in a couple sentences should be good. I just take the old cabinet, clean aggressively with something that will remove dirt and oil (probably some of the finish) and then lightly sand. Finish is Watco Danish Oil a couple coats followed by Howard's Feed & Wax. done but not a nice gloss finish like you have.

Looks great. Thanks for posting.
Old 02-13-2016, 01:15 PM
Serious Tapehead

Sure, Mark.

Finish is Watco Danish Oil, natural.

The piece arrived rough sanded. I sanded at 150 grit, then at 220 grit.

Without cleaning off the sawdust from the 220, I wet sanded in the first coat of oil in by hand with 320 wet or dry, after about 30 min. wipe off across the grain and let dry overnight. After drying, dry sand with the grain lightly then apply second coat of oil and wet sand at 400 with the same cross grain wipe-off and light dry sanding after overnight drying.

Two coats (one per day) oil then after drying, wet sand with distilled water and electric sander at 600. Four more coats and another wet sanding at 600, and again four coats and a last wet sanding at 600. All wet sanding from here on is with the last coat of oil dry and distilled water.

Two more coats then a wet sanding at 1500, two more and 1500 again, then two more coats and wet sanding at 2000, two more and 2000 again. Finally six coats with only brass wool polishing between. Use fine brass wool or 0000 steel wool after every coat.

Then, after drying for five days, I finished with four coats of Briwax burnished in with a brush. 28 coats of oil and 4 coats of wax total.

My research told me I was in for a big job, but I had the opportunity so I did it. I think a better initial wet sanding of the oil itself, with an electric sander instead of by hand, might give the same effect with fewer coats. Someday I'll find out if I ever try this again. Walnut is an open-grained wood, but a closed grained wood like maple would not require so much sanding.
Old 02-13-2016, 03:30 PM
Burning Tape

Thanks. Good thing you work at home with the time to take breaks and get the steps done.
Old 02-13-2016, 03:34 PM

Nice Find!

The oldies but goodies are out there. I bought this one a few days ago.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (67.8 KB, 45 views)

Would you like to see your company or site here?  CONTACT US
For more Tapeheads affiliates and links, see the Links and Resources page.