Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums
Universal Capstan Motor

Go Back   Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums > Tape, Taping and Tape Machines > Other Tape

Other Tape Any analog format other than cassette or reel to reel; 8-track, Elcaset, microcassette, VHS, etc.

Donate to Tapeheads!

Old 04-03-2017, 10:35 PM
Serious Tapehead

S-VHS to USB cable

I just acquired a JVC HR-S10000U which is an amazing video recorder and wonder is there a cable available to connect the S-VHS to a USB plug for a flat screen television?

Jeff
Old 04-04-2017, 01:36 AM
Serious Tapehead

I believe the USB socket on TVs are for a different purpose...
Old 04-04-2017, 06:27 AM
Banned

I have seen some USB-shaped plugs that were wired for analog A/V, but those were usually meant as passive, space-saving custom cable adapters for portable TVs or DVD players, e.g.:

But these are just passively wired, not to be confused with active USB video/audio grabbers. If the OP is certain that his television has one of those "analog USB" inputs and can verify that both his TV's and the cable's pin configurations match, then sure, go ahead and buy one.
Old 04-04-2017, 10:21 AM
Serious Tapehead

Thanks guys.

The pictured cable is for USB to RCA, which is close, BUT what I need is S-VHS to USB.

As for the usage of the USB ports, I am not sure about that, but they are for input. I use a USB for my PVR which is nothing more than a computer generated picture. Why that wouldn't work with an analog video I can't imagine.

I do have a Diamond converter which is intended for S-VHS to computer and that works fine with my PC, but not with the TV. (I had thought it would.)

So I am looking for a S-VHS to USB cable without the conversion for PC.

Jeff
Old 04-04-2017, 11:00 AM
Serious Tapehead

There is no such S-Video or composite to USB cable other than the ones used for capturing analog video to computer not to TV and those contains a microchip in them, Sure you can find those cables on ebay from Chinese manufacturers that use them for their weirdly designed toys such as game consoles, media players and so on, that have no international standards what so ever. If you plug that cable in your VCR you don't get any picture but you will get smoke coming from your VCR because you are putting a 5V current into the video PCB of your VCR.
Old 04-04-2017, 11:01 AM
ǝɔıloԀ qǝM

The output of an S-VHS cable is analog and a USB cable carries raw digital signals.

Your tv's usb input will only accept a digital signal. You will need some sort of Analog to digital converter with the cable.

If your conversion cable doesn't work, your tv may not accept usb input but the port might be for testing troubleshooting only.

I use the usb ports on my Blueray players to play video from a portable hard drive/thumb drives though. You might try using your converter cable through your Blueray player if it has a usb input?

A nickel from yesterday isn't worth a half dollar today.

Last edited by Web Police; 04-04-2017 at 12:44 PM.
Old 04-04-2017, 12:24 PM
Seriously Illogical

Could it be you are confusing the flat shaped HDMI port for a USB port?
Old 04-04-2017, 01:02 PM
Serious Tapehead

Yes, one can confuse HDMI with USB but in the end you should follow what latreche34 said.

S-VHS is ANALOG so you can not simply use a cable to go to a DIGITAL input like USB/HDMI.
There are of course SCART to USB cables that are used to copy your video tape to a computer but not running them directly to a TV.
Old 04-04-2017, 01:20 PM
Serious Tapehead

What's the model of the TV?

The USB ports on older TVs can only display JPEGs. Newer TVs can play MP3 and MP4 files in addition to JPEGs. And depending how much power these ports output, they can also power Amazon Fire Sticks, Google Chromecasts, and charge some cell phones.

Does anyone know if there's such a thing as S-VHS to component cable/converter? Or even S-VHS to composite? That's the only solution I can think of besides getting a TV or monitor that has S-VHS inputs.
Old 04-04-2017, 01:25 PM
Serious Tapehead

I am feeling more and more stupid the further this project goes on. Yes I imagine I mistook HDMI for USB, as I don't honestly know the difference.

That said this Diamond Multi-media converter that I do have takes the S-VHS analog signal and makes it recognized by my PC, which is by definition digital. So the thought that comes to mind is, if the S-VHS signal can be recognized by my trusty computer why not the TV using the same converter?

I seem to be batting new and obsolete technology and being beaten by both! I spent nearly an hour trying to properly set all the info this massively complicated machine offers. Got the time right, including AM/PM, but the day, month, and year eluded me.

This is an editing VCR that can be used with two VCR's at the same time, controlled by the single remote. I feel like I need a doctorate in Physics just to read the THREE manuals.

Jeff
Old 04-04-2017, 01:27 PM
Serious Tapehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonChiChio View Post
What's the model of the TV?

The USB ports on older TVs can only display JPEGs. Newer TVs can play MP3 and MP4 files in addition to JPEGs. And depending how much power these ports output, they can also power Amazon Fire Sticks, Google Chromecasts, and charge some cell phones.

Does anyone know if there's such a thing as S-VHS to component cable/converter? Or even S-VHS to composite? That's the only solution I can think of besides getting a TV or monitor that has S-VHS inputs.
It is a late model Sony. If the exact model is important, I can provide it.
Old 04-04-2017, 02:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
.Does anyone know if there's such a thing as S-VHS to component cable/converter? Or even S-VHS to composite?
S-Video signals (S-VHS is a tape format, not a signal) can be easily converted to composite even with a passive adapter: just solder a small 10pF capacitor across the Y and C cables, and use Y as a composite input. Conversion to Component, RGB, VGA or HDMI in real-time is more complex and requires an active converter box.
Old 04-04-2017, 02:51 PM
Serious Tapehead

Quote:
Does not EVERY VHS recorder have a composite output, in addition to whatever higher quality options they offer?
Old 04-04-2017, 06:39 PM
Serious Tapehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tandbergguy View Post
That said this Diamond Multi-media converter that I do have takes the S-VHS analog signal and makes it recognized by my PC, which is by definition digital. So the thought that comes to mind is, if the S-VHS signal can be recognized by my trusty computer why not the TV using the same converter? Jeff
The computer uses a driver to drive the converter box or the card (in your case the Diamond MM) and a piece of software to display the video or capture it, your TV doesn't have that capability, If your TV is not equipped with a S-Video input you can get a S-Video to HDMI converter (it has its own power adapter).
If you go that route be careful of the cheap knockoffs, I can post pictures of a good quality one an knockoff one, But they are plenty out there and it's hard to judge.
Old 04-04-2017, 07:00 PM
Serious Tapehead

There are a bunch of analog to digital converters like you're looking for on ebay like this one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Composite-3R...YAAOSw6kxXHydV
I haven't tried them, but just type in S video and HDMI and you'll get lots to pick from ...some doing upconverting to 1080. You probably want to get one that has HDMI out since a lot of new 4k TVs don't have S-video anymore. Or you could get Component output too ...but even THAT'S becoming less frequent on new TVs.

If you want to record OTA programming, you might want to get an Analog to Digital converter that has an S Video output ...and there are several on Ebay that have both S Video out and HDMI out.

Most new 4k TVs, even the cheap ones do a pretty good job at upconverting signals (internally). My 55" 4K Philips ($298 Black Fri Walmart Special), upconverts a lot more clearly than my 4 yr old $2,500 55" 7100 series Samsung. I was watching Quincy of DVD the other day and it looked really clear in 4k ...almost like it was remastered. I was going to hook up my Super VHS VCR but haven't gotten around to it but I expect similar results with it.

Good luck!

Last edited by Jeepwalker; 04-04-2017 at 07:11 PM.
Old 04-04-2017, 07:32 PM
Serious Tapehead

Thanks, the seller might not ship to Canada, so I sent him a message. We'll see. It would be great to have the S-VHS connection work.

God, I LOVE this JVC VCR!

Jeff
Old 04-04-2017, 11:47 PM
Serious Tapehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tandbergguy View Post
Yes I imagine I mistook HDMI for USB, as I don't honestly know the difference.

USB (type A) is perfectly rectangular, the HDMI has 2 corners bevelled.
Old 04-05-2017, 01:20 AM
Banned

Also, are you sure that your TV doesn't have a S-Video analog input somewhere? At least with TVs sold in Europe, usually the SCART input has a configuration where it accepts a S-Video signal (separate Y and C signals), although finding a suitable S-Video/SCART adapter can be problematic: many are wired in a non-standard way (and the S-Video-on-SCART extension itself is non-standard).

For North America....well, I dunno. You guys always kinda got the short end of the stick when it came to TV connectivity
Old 04-05-2017, 06:18 AM
Aiwa

if there is SCART, maybe this can help
Old 04-05-2017, 09:02 AM
Serious Tapehead

Thanks guys, learn something new every day. Had I been a bit more observant I might have noticed that there is one HDMI and two USB ports, and both are labeled accordingly, had I bothered to look.

In answer to your question, I went over this Sony TV pretty carefully and unless they hid the S-VHS port in some completely obscure place, then no, it doesn’t have one.

The guy in California selling the powered converter for both RCA & S-VHS to HDMI does not ship internationally…… I asked him via email if he would, but no reply.

One thing led to another and I found his source in Hong Kong and purchased the adaptor for the same price US$29.99 and FREE shipping. The California guy wanted US$49 for shipping, so this is a much better deal.

I don’t know if this adaptor will actually work, but it looks very much like it might.

I will report back if this really works with a link to the source.

Thanks!

Jeff

Would you like to see your company or site here?  CONTACT US
For more Tapeheads affiliates and links, see the Links and Resources page.