Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums
High quality analog audio tape for professionals and enthusiasts alike.

Go Back   Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums > Music and Tunes > Music and Tunes

Music and Tunes Music is why we do this. Talk about your favorite artists, albums, and songs here.

Donate to Tapeheads!

Old 08-27-2013, 06:47 AM
Serious Tapehead

Fantasy Park '75

I just acquired 5 3600' 10" reels marked "Fantasy park" with time and date in 1975. All 5 tapes have different times over 2 days, now I may have been stoned back then so I googled it to find a not real 48 hour concert with all big names of the time. I think there would be more than 5 tapes for 48 hours, at least 3 more,,,. Any body have this? The full 48 hours? How many are in the full set? But then these may be blank as well, I was not buying what is on them. One of them has inside the cover "The Rolling Stones side 1 + 2", its going to be interesting to spin them and see,,,,,

Last edited by Scorpion8; 08-27-2013 at 09:02 AM.
Old 08-27-2013, 08:37 AM
Rest In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWise View Post
I just acquired 5 3600' 10" reels marked "Fantasy park" with time and date in 1975. All 5 tapes have different times over 2 days, now I may have been stoned back then so I googled it to find a not real 48 hour concert with all big names of the time. I think there would be more than 5 tapes for 48 hours, at least 3 more,,,. Any body have this? The full 48 hours? How many are in the full set? But then these may be blank as well, I was not buying what is on them. One of them has inside the cover "The Rolling Stones side 1 + 2", its going to be interesting to spin them and see,,,,,
Ah yes, "Fantasy Park, The Rock Concert That Never Was"..... Remember it well, I tried to stay up the whole time for that and had a stack of R2R tapes at the ready to record it. I have many hours of it, unfortunately I pased out a couple of times for several hours that weekend, I think it was Memorial weekend that took place.

I'm getting setup to digitize my tapes to CD, I'd like to work out a deal with you, maybe between what we both have, we might have most of if not all of the concert. Where are you located?

I also have another concert called I think, Satcom 1, it's a similar deal.

Fantasy Park was completely made up in a studio using masters of various artists and they dubbed in announcers, the sound effects of the crowds, the sounds of the weather, wind storm-rain-lightening........sound familar? It's a made up Woodstock.........but boy they sure had some great music!
Old 08-27-2013, 04:35 PM
Serious Tapehead

I am near Tulsa, Oakhurst Oklahoma, one of the guys that worked on it was from Tulsa, started out at KAKC AM 970. And yes I would be interested in working something out to get both of us a full set. but then I may have blanked tape coming, IDK. I prefer to stay analog though, They also did another in 76.
Old 08-27-2013, 06:57 PM
Rest In Peace

Quote:
I am near Tulsa, Oakhurst Oklahoma, one of the guys that worked on it was from Tulsa, started out at KAKC AM 970. And yes I would be interested in working something out to get both of us a full set. but then I may have blanked tape coming, IDK. I prefer to stay analog though, They also did another in 76.
I think the one in '76 is the Satcom I, they were done by the same people I think........
Old 08-28-2013, 03:30 AM
Serious Tapehead

In the pics of them,
10 11 75 RM (RM?)
teac model 3340s

On one of them inside the cover:
Rolling stones
8:30 PM Sat
#8 - 10 11 75 (reel number 8?)
Sides 1 and 2

I wonder if these are at 15 ips
Old 08-28-2013, 06:58 AM
Rest In Peace

Quote:
In the pics of them,
10 11 75 RM (RM?)
teac model 3340s

On one of them inside the cover:
Rolling stones
8:30 PM Sat
#8 - 10 11 75 (reel number 8?)
Sides 1 and 2

I wonder if these are at 15 ips
Well if they are, then you only have half the music you thought you had. Do you have a way to test them?
Old 08-28-2013, 09:57 AM
Serious Tapehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy1 View Post
Well if they are, then you only have half the music you thought you had. Do you have a way to test them?
I have an akai gx-630d-ss, one volume needs replaced, but it plays full output. I think I have found the part, but its out of a gx-400d-ss, IDK if its the same. I have others but this is the only 10" I have, for now ,,,, LOL of course it doesn't run 15 ips either...,,,, Alvin!!!!

I have found OLD threads googling from folks looking for this, maybe someone that has parts of it wants other parts will find this thread and join up/in!
Old 08-28-2013, 10:07 AM
Serious Tapehead

That model teac runs 7.5 and 15 ips it is 4-track, 4-channel, stereophonic/monophonic 3 head. My bet is going to be they are 15 ips!
Old 08-28-2013, 11:05 AM
Rest In Peace

Quote:
I have an akai gx-630d-ss, one volume needs replaced, but it plays full output. I think I have found the part, but its out of a gx-400d-ss, IDK if its the same. I have others but this is the only 10" I have, for now ,,,, LOL of course it doesn't run 15 ips either...,,,, Alvin!!!!

I have found OLD threads googling from folks looking for this, maybe someone that has parts of it wants other parts will find this thread and join up/in!
Don't know if this helps or not, I have a GX-260D parts unit, if the pots are the same, your welcome to them. Maybe Sam or PS might know. Have you tried cleaning the pots with De-Ox ?

I have a deck that does 15ips...........It's a Tascam 32...........
Old 08-29-2013, 04:41 AM
Serious Tapehead

That teac does record at 15 ips,,,,, in 4 ch
Old 09-05-2013, 05:38 AM
Serious Tapehead

The reels are here, boxes did not fair well, but reels look good! I have (not tested yet) reels #4, 5, 6, 7 and 8 as marked. I have contacted the seller to see if has any more of the set, but it was gone before I got these. I ask him to pass on my contact info to see if I can get a copy of the rest of them. Long shot but maybe,,,,, also he said there was 10 of them. Looks like I have 1/2 of the set, maybe,,,,
These are noted to be recorded on both sides, so maybe they will also be at 7.5 ips to save tape when recorded!
Old 09-05-2013, 05:48 AM
Rest In Peace

Quote:
The reels are here, boxes did not fair well, but reels look good! I have (not tested yet) reels #4, 5, 6, 7 and 8 as marked. I have contacted the seller to see if has any more of the set, but it was gone before I got these. I ask him to pass on my contact info to see if I can get a copy of the rest of them. Long shot but maybe,,,,, also he said there was 10 of them. Looks like I have 1/2 of the set, maybe,,,,
These are noted to be recorded on both sides, so maybe they will also be at 7.5 ips to save tape when recorded!
What kind of tape is it?
Old 09-05-2013, 06:24 AM
Rest In Peace

Doing a little research, I came up with this from Wikpedia.......

Fantasy Park

(Rod) Serling's final radio performance, which he recorded just a few weeks before his death, was even more unusual: Fantasy Park was a 48-hour-long rock concert aired by nearly 200 stations over Labor Day weekend in 1975.[46] The program, produced by KNUS in Dallas, featured performances by dozens of rock stars of the day, and even reunited The Beatles. It was also completely imaginary, a "theatre-of-the-mind for the 70s", as producer Beau Weaver put it, using record albums recorded live-in-concert, plus crowd noise and other sound effects. (Allegedly, rock fans all over the country flooded participating stations with phone calls wanting directions to Fantasy Park; some even hitchhiked in attempt to actually attend the fake show.) KNUS General Manager Bart McLendon recruited Serling (his old teacher) to record the host segments, bumpers and custom promos and television spots.

Serling himself wrote the disclaimers, which aired each hour:

"Hello, this is Rod Serling and welcome back to Fantasy Park.....the crowds here today are unreal."

"This is Fantasy Park...the greatest live concert....never held."
Old 09-06-2013, 03:23 AM
Serious Tapehead

Quote:
Don't know if this helps or not, I have a GX-260D parts unit, if the pots are the same, your welcome to them. Maybe Sam or PS might know. Have you tried cleaning the pots with De-Ox ?

I have a deck that does 15ips...........It's a Tascam 32...........
Yes I have tried cleaning, I knew it had this problem when I picked it up as the volume shafts both would slip right out. The front pot and the rear pot are dead. On your part, is it a 4 gang 50k ohm? Part would need to from a SS unit. If it is I will pull the pot out and measure the shaft diameter. I found 1 from a gx440d ss, but it is 10k and the shaft size is larger.

I have resistors coming in today to build a bridge and have fixed volume until I can find another option!
Old 09-06-2013, 03:27 AM
Serious Tapehead

Quote:
What kind of tape is it?
Maxel ud 35-10

Edit Tape #8 plays in stereo,

Last edited by RWise; 09-06-2013 at 12:17 PM.
Old 09-06-2013, 03:41 AM
Serious Tapehead

Quote:
Doing a little research, I came up with this from Wikpedia.......

Fantasy Park

(Rod) Serling's final radio performance, which he recorded just a few weeks before his death, was even more unusual: Fantasy Park was a 48-hour-long rock concert aired by nearly 200 stations over Labor Day weekend in 1975.[46] The program, produced by KNUS in Dallas, featured performances by dozens of rock stars of the day, and even reunited The Beatles. It was also completely imaginary, a "theatre-of-the-mind for the 70s", as producer Beau Weaver put it, using record albums recorded live-in-concert, plus crowd noise and other sound effects. (Allegedly, rock fans all over the country flooded participating stations with phone calls wanting directions to Fantasy Park; some even hitchhiked in attempt to actually attend the fake show.) KNUS General Manager Bart McLendon recruited Serling (his old teacher) to record the host segments, bumpers and custom promos and television spots.

Serling himself wrote the disclaimers, which aired each hour:

"Hello, this is Rod Serling and welcome back to Fantasy Park.....the crowds here today are unreal."

"This is Fantasy Park...the greatest live concert....never held."
That is it! Beau Weaver started his career here in Tulsa at KAKC radio. A local fav at the time! I remember the hype about the Beatles getting back together, which we all know did not happen. No word from the guy I bought these from on whether or not he knows where the rest of the set is. It would be great to have this in the library!

I find this thread when I google Fanasy Park, so maybe anyone that is looking for this will find us and join up! I am most willing to share to get the rest of this set!

Of course I have not played these yet, parts should be in today to build a bridge and "patch" the volume out! I have put them on and turned them to see they are not damaged/bent.

IF these are 4 channel, wouldn't that use all tracks on the tape? They are marked to be recorded on both sides, and IF the person how done the dead was worried about tape use, just maybe he also recorded 7.5 the slow speed for the teac, high speed for my akia, LOL I so hope I can play these!!!
Old 09-06-2013, 03:57 PM
Serious Tapehead

Only have half what I hoped for, they are only one sided so far, maybe a song or 2 on the flip side. Nothing after the Stones,,,,
Old 09-07-2013, 08:31 AM
Rest In Peace

Quote:
Only have half what I hoped for, they are only one sided so far, maybe a song or 2 on the flip side. Nothing after the Stones,,,,
That's what I was afraid of............

Here's what I have on tape:

Moody Blues

Harry Chapin

Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young

Bob Dylan

Allman Bros.

Van Morrison

The Beatles Reunited (almost 90 minutes)
Old 11-02-2014, 05:38 AM
Serious Tapehead

It is nice to roll these from time to time

And now that we have more member a plug to see if anyone else has this set or part of it.
Old 02-28-2016, 10:04 AM
TapeHeads Newbie

Fantasy Park

Was chief engineer for radio station KAUM-FM in Houston right before the concert. Quit right before the concert. It was summer of 1975 when it was broadcast in the Houston marketplace. I have 11 of the big Ampex reels that I used to record it. Some are 15 IPS and some are 7.5 IPS. It was recorded on a Teac 3340S machine. Best concert ever.

Here is what I have:

Bands at Fantasy Park (Jun 27-29th, 1975)

Chicago: Fri evening
Elton John: Fri night
Led Zeppelin
Joe Walsh: (missing)
Eric Clapton (& Creme)
Shawn Phillips
Pink Floyd
Carly Simon
James Taylor (& Carol King)
Poco: (missing) Sat 5 AM
Alvin Lee: (missing)
Eagles: (missing) Sat sunrise
Linda Rondstad: (missing)
Dave Mason: (missing)
Steve Miller: (missing) Sat morning
John Denver
Beach Boys
War
Grand Funk
Yes
Deep Purple: (have only 1 cut)
Rolling Stones
Cat Stevens
The Who
Stones: Sat evening
Moody Blues
Fireworks: Sat night
Marshall Tucker Band: (missing)
Allman Brothers Band: (missing end) Sun AM (rain?)
Seals & Crofts: (missing start)
America
Joni Mitchell: (missing end)
Doobie Brothers: (missing)
Loggins and Messina: (missing middle & end) Sun 3 PM
Crosby/Stills/Nash/Young: (missing start)
Dylan: (missing middle)
Beetles

Willing to share?

Last edited by KAUM96; 02-28-2016 at 10:13 AM.

Would you like to see your company or site here?  CONTACT US
For more Tapeheads affiliates and links, see the Links and Resources page.