Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums
Universal Capstan Motor

Go Back   Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums > General Audio Discussions > Turntables and Vinyl

Turntables and Vinyl Discuss all facets of vinyl, including players, stylii, care and maintenance, and of course... records.

Donate to Tapeheads!

Old 04-20-2017, 11:23 PM
TapeHeads Newbie

Need Help: Yamaha TT-400U canīt play records

Hello everyone, I write this post to search for help with my turntable.
I bought it some time ago, but it doesnīt work properly. When you put the Lp the arm aproachs it to play it, but it never falls into the groves and goes back, standing near the disc and never playing it
Here is a video to show the problem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6UjCJHg4ls

My knowledge about electronics itīs minimal and i canīt fin any information that helps me to fix this so I ask here for help.

Thanks for reading and enjoy the music
Old 04-21-2017, 01:41 AM
In loudness we trust

I would start with the internal mechanics. There are a lot of levers, springs and cogwheels that work together to enable the automatic features.

Clean out old lubricant and give the inside some general TLC.
Old 04-21-2017, 04:50 AM
Serious Tapehead

Have you tried looking for a schematic? It may be available on hifi engine or down below at stereo manuals. Below the posts is a list of sponsors as links, just tap on the appropriate one to access their site.

Hifi engine e.com is free, you just need to register. Stereo manuals is a paid site, but the quality is so much better than hifi engine as hifi engine's scans are all over the place quality wise.

As said already, it's mechanical. You can also use this deck manually as well I'm sure. That would mean manually setting the arm down by hand instead.

I st likely needs old grease cleaned out and decreased with lubriplate 105, a quality grease that does not turn to glue like the old stuff does.

Good luck!

my system Kenwood KD12-RB turntable, SHURE M97xE cart, Muffsy PP3 phono pre, Receiver: Sherwood RX4030R, TEAC A4300SX R2R, Denon DCM-370 CD changer, Speakers: sansui SP1700 and in testing/restoration phase, Sansui SP-3000, eMachines PC for multimedia use and recently got a Nakamichi BX100 cassette deck
Old 04-21-2017, 07:27 AM
Serious Tapehead

Have you tried a record not so badly warped? It looks like the cartridge gets hit by the warp and all stops.
Retired USAF, Solder Melter. Not to old to Learn, Teac X-2000R, Otari MX-5050 BIII-2 (X2) and BII-2H, Yaqin MC-100B Amp, SD-32A CD Player, Pro Ject Tube Box DS2 Phono Preamp, VPI Prime Signature, ADS & 16.5, Soundsmith Voice, Madisound Zaph ZRT 2.5 Speakers, Teac 2A Mixer and MB-20 Bridge, Nobsound Headphone Amp
Old 04-21-2017, 12:25 PM
TapeHeads Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimTimP View Post
Have you tried a record not so badly warped? It looks like the cartridge gets hit by the warp and all stops.
Yeah, jaja. Sorry for the warped record, but yeah I tried with some other (before and after this record) in so much better conditions, but it simply doesnīt work. The arm doesnīt fall on the groves, it only tease me xD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by john from seattle View Post
Have you tried looking for a schematic? It may be available on hifi engine or down below at stereo manuals. Below the posts is a list of sponsors as links, just tap on the appropriate one to access their site.

Hifi engine e.com is free, you just need to register. Stereo manuals is a paid site, but the quality is so much better than hifi engine as hifi engine's scans are all over the place quality wise.

As said already, it's mechanical. You can also use this deck manually as well I'm sure. That would mean manually setting the arm down by hand instead.

I st likely needs old grease cleaned out and decreased with lubriplate 105, a quality grease that does not turn to glue like the old stuff does.

Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by svampen View Post
I would start with the internal mechanics. There are a lot of levers, springs and cogwheels that work together to enable the automatic features.

Clean out old lubricant and give the inside some general TLC.
I search on HifiEngine but they only have the owners manual, not the service :(. Still i will make the posible for buy the service manual on the StereoManuals (i think that they got it, but i will ask). And i will do the cleaning and the lubricant change, I want to make it work.
Really, Thanks :D
Old 04-21-2017, 01:20 PM
In loudness we trust

Hm. On the other hand, I read this TT have some automatic detection of the record size.
In the vid it seems to go beyond the first track and then slowly out again, like it is looking for something.
The behaivour might be caused by it is not "seeing" the record?

Might be something blocking the sensor? It is probably some sort of light/reflection sensor around the area where the needle is.
Old 04-21-2017, 09:27 PM
TapeHeads Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by svampen View Post
Hm. On the other hand, I read this TT have some automatic detection of the record size.
In the vid it seems to go beyond the first track and then slowly out again, like it is looking for something.
The behaivour might be caused by it is not "seeing" the record?

Might be something blocking the sensor? It is probably some sort of light/reflection sensor around the area where the needle is.
A sensor? Were did you read it? And were is it? I never saw it. Let me check but, it has a button were the plate goes, and it gets pressed when the LP is on top. Thatīs the sensor?
Old 04-22-2017, 10:38 AM
Serious Tapehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeloArias View Post
A sensor?..it has a button were the plate goes, and it gets pressed when the LP is on top. Thatīs the sensor?
Yes that is it. To me the behavior seemed too, like the size sensing is not working.
Old 04-22-2017, 11:27 AM
Serious Tapehead

In stop mode try to push down the arm lifter with your finger, see if it goes down smoothly. If it was sitting unused the arm lifter might not work smoothly so you have to press it down several times before trying to play.

Last edited by NEMOaudio; 04-22-2017 at 12:00 PM. Reason: the picture
Old 04-22-2017, 11:37 AM
Serious Tapehead

Like everything else, if you don't use the gear for a long while, grease etc will dry up and seize and will require you to clean out and relube.

This also goes for the lift as it is either grease fitted, or hydraulic (a viscous oil inside a shaft with a plunger that forces the lift to be damped to slowly lower the arm) though many automatic players use a mechanically greased mechanism for raising/lowering the arm.

my system Kenwood KD12-RB turntable, SHURE M97xE cart, Muffsy PP3 phono pre, Receiver: Sherwood RX4030R, TEAC A4300SX R2R, Denon DCM-370 CD changer, Speakers: sansui SP1700 and in testing/restoration phase, Sansui SP-3000, eMachines PC for multimedia use and recently got a Nakamichi BX100 cassette deck
Old 04-23-2017, 01:31 PM
TapeHeads Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by archeo View Post
Yes that is it. To me the behavior seemed too, like the size sensing is not working.
Um... i donīt know. The mechanism seem to work well, the button get pressed but i donīt know...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEMOaudio View Post
In stop mode try to push down the arm lifter with your finger, see if it goes down smoothly. If it was sitting unused the arm lifter might not work smoothly so you have to press it down several times before trying to play.

I tried pressing the arm lifter but is all the way down. I tried moving the adjusting screw but doesnīt do anything, then i try to lif it all the way up and I can but when I release it, the arm lifter falls all the way down.

Would you like to see your company or site here?  CONTACT US
For more Tapeheads affiliates and links, see the Links and Resources page.