Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums
Universal Capstan Motor

Go Back   Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums > Tape, Taping and Tape Machines > Cassette

Cassette All discussions pertaining to cassette decks. These include general usage, recording, playback and service questions. For subjects related to tape itself, see the Cassette Tape subforum under this one. Obscure service subjects that don't quite fit go in the Help and Do It Yourself subforum.

Donate to Tapeheads!

Old 04-20-2017, 05:44 PM
Sendust for brains

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analogtape View Post
ignorance is bliss. Just because one doesnt understand dont mean it dont make sense. Maybe its beyond ones scope of depth and intelligence. I cant help that.
Oh, I'm 100% certain that everyone here, including me, understands perfectly.

I RESTORE VINTAGE AUDIO AND VIDEO GEAR. Master technician for Concept, Quadraflex, Calibre, Pioneer and Sony. Endorsed by Richard Schram for Concept product restoration. Factory technician for both Yamaha and JVC. Sonics consultant for Denon. Pacific Stereo store manager, service manager, Central Service lead tech, liquidator at our demise. Pacific Stereo curator. Infinity IRS dealer. Music buyer for one of the first CD retailers in the USA. Authorized servicer for virtually every brand on the planet at one time or another. Music addict. Mastering & recording engineer, weaned on a Neve (no other console sounds like a Neve!). Industry-respected ears. Head Tapehead.

Need vintage audio & video repair and restoration, or unobtanium semiconductors and parts? Ask me! And do visit the website: pacificstereo.net
Old 04-20-2017, 07:38 PM
Serious Tapehead

How many can do this test and hear a difference?

http://www.npr.org/sections/therecor...-audio-quality
Old 04-20-2017, 08:49 PM
Serious Tapehead

why are some all bent outta shape about the few decks i feel should sell for less than what they are getting. Arent we allowed to voice our opinion and discuss it without getting offended.
Old 04-21-2017, 01:27 AM
Serious Tapehead

For such issues Forum need a separate section.
"Nac vs. ..."
Old 04-21-2017, 03:37 AM
Nakamichi Spoken Here

If the Dragon was named the ZX-10, no one would call anything a "ZX-10 Slayer or Killer". It is used because it is a well worn novel/movie phrase that "cleverly" fits a marketing situation where Nak used "Dragon" to evoke an image for any piece of equipment that was innovative. There is a Dragon turntable and Dragon CD player. Only, their more commonly known and most successful cassette deck has the exposure for the phrase to make sense in context. It means nothing.
Old 04-30-2017, 06:21 AM
TapeHeads.Net Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaryAudio View Post
How many can do this test and hear a difference?

http://www.npr.org/sections/therecor...-audio-quality
These are the silliest comparisons possible. Played back on a computer, there is almost no difference. Ever.

Played back through a competent DAC, (not necessarily pricey) like say my DacMagic 100, you will hear a difference. And burned to disc using some form of "bit perfect" software, then played back on a supporting disk player through same DAC where you are removing the source from the noise of computer hardware, you REALLY hear a difference.
Old 04-30-2017, 08:40 PM
Hoarder Extraordinaire

I think the "Dragon Killer" reference started as a way for sales people and the buyers of said machines to express that they have a similar quality product without spending as much as the true 'king of the hill'. Let's face it, everybody has a different taste in components and there are some nice cassette decks that don't have the same cred as a Dragon. So this is a way to differentiate those nicer decks that might fly under the radar.
Old 05-01-2017, 06:00 AM
aka The Tape Man

Reelspin

Just keep in mind this basic Marketing rule used in what it's called "Comparative Marketing": almost every time, the comparative marketing is used by the follower. The leader never use it. It doesn't have to. When you compare a product to another product is because you are basically admitting the superiority of the one you are comparing yours against. Remember, Marketing is just about people's perception. The Dragon has been adopted as a kind of standard by many,so it makes sense to use it as a rule to measure any deck that is not a Dragon against it. It's not the machine itself which acquired that status. The people made it.

WHO CARES? As Silky Sam says, I don't have a Dragon because what people says or believe. I could care less. I have it because I like it. As simple as that.

El Magnifico "live and let live"
Visit: http://mortechpr.wix.com/cassetteadventures

Would you like to see your company or site here?  CONTACT US
For more Tapeheads affiliates and links, see the Links and Resources page.