Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums
High quality analog audio tape for professionals and enthusiasts alike.

Go Back   Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums > General Audio Discussions > Turntables and Vinyl

Turntables and Vinyl Discuss all facets of vinyl, including players, stylii, care and maintenance, and of course... records.

Donate to Tapeheads!

Old 09-11-2017, 04:24 AM
Serious Tapehead

Kenwood KD650 Turntable

Hi, Had that unit for close on 35-40 years and for the last 20 years it hasn't been used. It has a Rotel headshell and a stanton 300 stylus/cartridge........if those are the correct words. Heavy marble type base and original lid. Anyway took it out and plugged it and in and it started with seemingly no problems. Haven't put a record on it yet, but before I do. Is there anything I should do to make sure all is Ok....lubrication, cleaning etc. It has been well looked after and well stored but just not used. Also is it a good unit and worth keeping (along with My Otari MX50050 B2 R2R and Luxman SQ507x and Nakamichi 1000 II) Going back to analogue. Look forward to your helpful replies. Thanks in advance. Gerry
Old 09-11-2017, 05:43 AM
Serious Tapehead

You bet all those units are good stuff!!

I use kd650 as well, rare table usually fetches $500usd!!

I have a hard copy of the service manual and haven't done much to mine in 10 years, other than repair the dampening mech. You should be able to download owners and service manuals at vinylengine.com
Old 09-11-2017, 08:03 AM
Burning Tape

That KD-650 is the best unit in your list. As Bolly said it is a great table. Although I prefer the ergonomics of the earlier non-quartz locked KD-500/550, the KD-600/650 is a better table. I've had all but the KD-550. the 50 indicates it came with a tonearm and the arm Kenwood supplied is a very good one.

There isn't any maintenance required to put the unit back in service if all the lights are working. If you need lights, there are 4, I think, just use the table and enjoy as they just indicate the unit is on and then if the speed is locked or not.

The headshell and cartridge are the low points on that unit. It can for sure use some of the best cartridges available today if you want to go that direction as you get further into the enjoyment of records. Don't get too concerned about finding a KD-650 replacement headshell, for the cost on the bay, when found, you can get a very nice aftermarket unit if the Rotel isn't a strong, rigid unit, don't know, can't see it. But that table deserves a decent headshell, probably with azimuth adjustment. Heck if you jump in deep enough, just swap out the tonearm and move that table up the performance curve as far as you like.

But first, kick back, relax and enjoy a truly great turntable.
Old 09-12-2017, 08:20 AM
Serious Tapehead

I'll make a suggestion, even if the hinges are cracked now, disconnect them and just lift the cover off and on... If they're not cracked still disconnect them as they break easily and are very rare!!

Make sure you balance the tonearm correctly too... how's she spinning??

Would you like to see your company or site here?  CONTACT US
For more Tapeheads affiliates and links, see the Links and Resources page.