Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums
High quality analog audio tape for professionals and enthusiasts alike.

Go Back   Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums > General Audio Discussions > Receivers, Amps, and Preamps - Solid-State

Receivers, Amps, and Preamps - Solid-State The heart of every system. Discuss your amps, receivers and control amplifiers here.

Donate to Tapeheads!

Old 09-19-2017, 10:52 AM
Serious Tapehead

Joining analog to modern HT receivers.

I have a bit of an odd setup.

I have what I like to call my "analog ecosystem". It consist of my turntable and cassette decks connected to a Yamaha C-60 preamplifier.

Then I have my "digital ecosystem". It consist of my home theater PC and Blu Ray player connected to my HT receiver (Anthem MRX-300) via HDMI.

I have the pre-outs of the Yamaha C-60 connected to an analog input on the home theater receiver, but this makes use of the volume control on the Yamaha C-60. Would I be better off connecting the two sections together by running the tape 2 record OUT to the analog input on the HT Receiver instead of using the pre-out?

Second question.. I'd like to do some recording from the receiver. Would running the Zone 2 analog OUT to the Tape 2 playback inputs work?
Clearaudio Concept TT : RP1 TT modded : Nakamichi 582 : Nakamichi BX-300 : Onkyo Integra TA-2800 : NAD 6300: Yamaha K700x2 : HT Computer running Jriver MC : Rotel RCD-950 CD : Anthem MRX300 HT Receiver : Rotel RB-1080 : Rotel RC-972 pre : Rotel RB-980BX : Yamaha C-60 pre : Yamaha M-60 : Vandersteen 2CE sigs : Triangle Celius : Klipsch Chorus II : Polk Audio RTiA3 : Polk Audio RTiA1
Old 09-19-2017, 11:29 AM
Serious Tapehead

Run the line out, "REC OUT", of the preamp into the analog line in of the HT receiver. The Zone 2 out of the HT receiver should be line-level, so it should be alright. Check the owner's manual.
Old 09-19-2017, 08:18 PM
Serious Tapehead

I've been kicking around doing an HTR upgrade for awhile.

I'm torn on whether or not I can (or should) get the Yamaha C-60 pre-amp out of the chain. I'm using its built in phono preamp which I think is pretty decent. I do have a Pro-ject Phono Box SE preamp I could use as an alternative, but some of the new top end receivers are coming with phono. On the tape end, I have a DBX-400 to connect my decks to.

I've been looking at receivers in the $2K price range. Lots of nice options which almost makes it harder to settle on one.

Right now the top three I'm seriously considering are:

Anthem MRX-720
Marantz SR7012
Yamaha RX-A3070

I use it for music 90% of the time, and all three have there pros and cons. The Yamaha and Marantz are feature laden and have the latest audio codecs, streaming options, and 4K video. That being said, the Dolby Atmos and DTS:X stuff are things that I will never use (not putting speakers in/on the ceiling). The streaming crap isn't needed either. I have a HT computer that can do all that stuff. I really just need 7 channel Dolby True HD or DTS Master.

Part of me says to screw all the features and room correction stuff. Go with something like a Rotel RSX-1562 or Cambridge Audio CRX200 that is built for audio. If/when the day comes to replace my Panasonic V10 plasma and go 4K, I'll pony up for a 4K UHD Blu Ray player with dual HDMI outputs.
Clearaudio Concept TT : RP1 TT modded : Nakamichi 582 : Nakamichi BX-300 : Onkyo Integra TA-2800 : NAD 6300: Yamaha K700x2 : HT Computer running Jriver MC : Rotel RCD-950 CD : Anthem MRX300 HT Receiver : Rotel RB-1080 : Rotel RC-972 pre : Rotel RB-980BX : Yamaha C-60 pre : Yamaha M-60 : Vandersteen 2CE sigs : Triangle Celius : Klipsch Chorus II : Polk Audio RTiA3 : Polk Audio RTiA1

Last edited by Vorlon; 09-19-2017 at 08:21 PM.
Old 09-20-2017, 07:15 AM
Lover of all things TECH!

Deleted post... sry

Last edited by Sawtooth; 09-20-2017 at 07:48 AM. Reason: Post wasn’t really relevant.

Would you like to see your company or site here?  CONTACT US
For more Tapeheads affiliates and links, see the Links and Resources page.