Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums
High quality analog audio tape for professionals and enthusiasts alike.

Go Back   Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums > General Audio Discussions > Turntables and Vinyl

Turntables and Vinyl Discuss all facets of vinyl, including players, stylii, care and maintenance, and of course... records.

Donate to Tapeheads!

Old 09-08-2017, 10:27 AM
Buh-bye.

Plastic Sleeves on new LPs.....

Should these all be tossed in the trash?

They seem to be hard on the record.

The Mo-Fi sleeves seem so much nicer.
Old 09-08-2017, 10:46 AM
Lover of all things TECH!

I've seen reviews that indicate they are some of the best, if not the best. I generally re-sleeve, not with MoFi's tho. If an album comes with the kind of thicker clear plastic that I think you're describing, I leave them. I haven't noticed scuffs or static so far.

I like the albums that come with paper sleeves with the poly on the inside... just seems easier to get them in and out IMO.

Picture?
Old 09-08-2017, 10:57 AM
Turn it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaryAudio View Post
Should these all be tossed in the trash?

They seem to be hard on the record.

The Mo-Fi sleeves seem so much nicer.

What are you referring to as "these"? In what way do you believe them to be hard on the record? There is a lot of mythology tossed about regarding protective sleeves.

Here is a good article on the topic:

https://positive-feedback.com/Issue38/lp_sleaves.htm

And yes, the Mo-Fi sleeves are quite nice. But that doesn't necessarily mean that the original sleeve is bad. Depends on the sleeve.
Old 09-08-2017, 10:58 AM
Serious Tapehead

I really like the "blake" record sleeves from ClearBags. Thinner and crystal clear. Not likely 100% as durable, but if your're not mishandling shouldn't be a problem. I like seeing the artwork through a clear sleeve like these much better. They fot very snugly, so you can also buy a slightly larger version for thicker doubles and such.

I agree on those inner sleeves with the poly inside the paper. I ordered some generic versions for cheap off Amazon and they have glue residue all over about half of them. Anyone know the best deal on paper lined poly inner sleeves? Mo fi seem as cheap as any from what I've found.
Old 09-08-2017, 12:16 PM
Buh-bye.

Both ORG and Audio Fidelity use a plastic bag that seems pretty cheap and looks like it would trap moisture.
Old 09-08-2017, 01:32 PM
Serious Tapehead

Since vinyl is 100% waterproof a bit of moisture won't hurt it. Maybe the label might suffer but if you've ever tried to remove a album label you'll find them to be tough as nails. However London Records used a plastic lined paper sleeve at various times.
Old 09-08-2017, 01:45 PM
self-proclaimed pro-tracker

I like the plastic sleeves, they've been around for decades too. I have a stash of NOS Discwasher VRPs. I also have a stash of plastic Recoton sleeves, they were sold folded up into a rectangle so when pulled out of the original package, they are full of creases. I haven't noticed any marking on the vinyl caused by the creases though.

The inner sleeves I would discontinue using is those damn cardstock sleeves some recent LP releases have been coming with. Most (if not all) of these are glossy picture sleeves. Be careful removing the record from the sleeve, and place it in a new normal paper sleeve or better yet a plastic sleeve/plastic lined sleeve. Keep the original "cardstock" inner sleeve in the jacket and just slide the record in its new sleeve in along side it.

I've noticed some cheap plastic sleeves do tend to cause a little of static electricity.

Last edited by nitroengine; 09-08-2017 at 01:52 PM.
Old 09-08-2017, 02:34 PM
Serious Tapehead

The inner sleeve? I'm not really a big fan of them. They're a bit of a pain to get the record in and out of. I like the sleeves that are paper lined with plastic, but those aren't too common.
I've also heard of those plastic sleeves sticking to the record.

The outer shrink wrap over the jacket should be tossed away, unless it's those thick sleeves that used record stores often put on their records.
Old 09-08-2017, 03:45 PM
Don't Be Square - Sine Waves Dude!

I have been collecting records since the early 1980's. So, say, 30+ years. I always replaced the inner sleeve with a MoFi or similar sleeve (some are VRPs) if it did not come with one. I also used a plastic outer sleeve to protect the jacket.

All of those 30+ year old albums are still like new, have travelled with me in my military career (two moves to and from Germany and several local moves, and several state to state moves). The jackets show very little wear or 'rings'. The albums themselves are clean, unscratched and play as if almost new and warrant a true Mint or Mint- condition. For both the album and the jacket.

I've always tossed the shrinkwrap.

Just my experience.
Retired USAF, Solder Melter. Not to old to Learn, Teac X-2000R, Otari MX-5050 BIII-2 (X2) and BII-2H, Yaqin MC-100B Amp, SD-32A CD Player, Pro Ject Tube Box DS2 Phono Preamp, VPI Prime Signature, ADS & 16.5, Soundsmith Voice & Lyra Delos on Separate Arms, Madisound Zaph ZRT 2.5 Speakers, Teac 2A Mixer and MB-20 Bridge, Nobsound Headphone Amp

Last edited by JimTimP; 09-08-2017 at 03:49 PM.
Old 09-08-2017, 06:31 PM
Analogue Addict

For the record protection inner sleeves I have always used Goldring Ex-Static but for the outer plastic album covers I have always discarded them. I discard the outer sleeves as I donít have space, they all add up.
Old 09-08-2017, 07:39 PM
Serious Tapehead

As far as inner sleeves go, I now use PE inner sleeves with rice paper, like MoFi makes and have in the past bought some polypropylene lined paper sleeves and those are quite decent too. I also need to buy more inner sleeves and Sleeve City has good prices on quality sleeves, as is Bags Unlimited.

As for outer sleeves, I need to buy more as I don't have enough and many of the newer LP's I have bought (new or used) that come with an outer sleeve use the 3mil PP sleeves, occasionally, I've gotten the thinner 1.5mil versions and I don't like those as much as they are thin, easily crinkles and at times they simply tear and I had one do just that especially if they are like cellophane in quality.. I also have bought in the past the Poly Ethylene outer sleeves in I think the 3Mil ages ago, and they are cloudy but have held up well though. Bought those locally at my favorite record store even if they don't look as nice, but they do protect the sleeves from developing ring wear if non had developed previously and it keeps what ring wear there is from getting worse.

my system Kenwood KD12-RB turntable, SHURE M97xE cart, Muffsy PP3 phono pre, Receiver: Sherwood RX4030R, TEAC A4300SX R2R, Denon DCM-370 CD changer, Speakers: sansui SP1700 and in testing/restoration phase, Sansui SP-3000, eMachines PC for multimedia use and recently got a Nakamichi BX100 cassette deck
Old 09-09-2017, 12:06 AM
Serious Tapehead

No reason to toss the shrink wrap especially if there is a hype sticker on it. It's an old wives tale that doing so causes warping. Just the other day I played a record that I bought new in the early 90's. Still in shrink and that record was shipped to Europe and back when I lived there for 5 years. Still perfectly flat and plays like new.
Old 09-09-2017, 05:08 AM
Boy's bright, but he don't allways listen!

Same experience 50sMonoFan, all mine in the shrink are still all flat. No problems with shrink wrap here.

As far as sleeves, hell I never had a problem with any but the damn plastic ones that bunch up. I only replace old decayed paper ones that have turned brownish yellow over the years. Looks to me much to do of nothing but if it makes you feel better then buy expensive sleeves, one must have confidence in ones own gear.

Need a Teac recapped? Heads installed? I do that! Contact me thru a PM.
Old 09-10-2017, 01:29 PM
TapeHeads.Net Member

1. I have encountered some shrink wrapping that was so tight that the album cover bent a little after the album was taken out.

2. I've heard that polyethylene is not so good for vinyl, but could never substantiate this. Many old classical records (notably RCA, also some Deutsche Grammophon) used paper sleeves lined with polyethylene. I have a number of these, but they were also played on inferior equipment by my grandfathers, so I cannot say if the sleeve deteriorated the record more.
Some PE sleeves on old Eterna (East Germany music label, mostly classical) LPs have deteriorated totally - gone all ratty and milky, so I replaced these with new PP sleeves.

3. I have VRPs in some records and find them more static-prone than generic polypropylene and paper sleeves.

4. If the inner sleeve is made of shiny paper with stuff printed on it, I almost always replace it with a paper and PP sleeve, leaving the original sleeve loose. I also have some PP only sleeves and sometimes I snip them to fit inside the original shiny paper sleeve and put the record inside the PP. I do the same for some plain coarse paper sleeves.

Anyway, I always open the sleeve up as much as I can and slide the record in as far as I can with my middle finger under the center hole - that usually reduces the amount of contact of the vinyl with the surface of the sleeve (that's a bit Captain Obvious, I guess, but there it is - for the record :-)
Old 09-10-2017, 02:45 PM
Turn it up!

I've never worried much about the sleeve contacting the album a bit, as the music is in the grooves, not on the surface.

I do think it's important to use a sleeve that keeps the record nice and dry (as with lined paper sleeves)..not because water will damage the vinyl, but because of microscopic mold growth which can start when the LP is stored in a humid environment, which in turn creates debris and therefore noise in the grooves.

I also believe a lined or plastic sleeve to be important in keeping microscopic paper debris from being deposited into the grooves.
Old 09-10-2017, 03:26 PM
Serious Tapehead

While I agree that all paper sleeves are not ideal as they can leave bits of paper flecks on the record surface, ensuring you have to brush the LP before playing or pops/clicks abound but as far as truly scratching your records, most likely not but they can leave light scuffs that generally affect anything as far as play-ability goes.

By the same token, I'm not anal about ensuring the sleeves touch the surface of the LP as it'll not be touching the groove itself.

my system Kenwood KD12-RB turntable, SHURE M97xE cart, Muffsy PP3 phono pre, Receiver: Sherwood RX4030R, TEAC A4300SX R2R, Denon DCM-370 CD changer, Speakers: sansui SP1700 and in testing/restoration phase, Sansui SP-3000, eMachines PC for multimedia use and recently got a Nakamichi BX100 cassette deck
Old 09-11-2017, 04:21 AM
Serious Tapehead

Kenwood KD 650 turntable

sorry wrong area

Last edited by Gerryherft; 09-11-2017 at 04:23 AM. Reason: wrong area

Would you like to see your company or site here?  CONTACT US
For more Tapeheads affiliates and links, see the Links and Resources page.