Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums
High quality analog audio tape for professionals and enthusiasts alike.

Go Back   Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums > General Audio Discussions > Turntables and Vinyl

Turntables and Vinyl Discuss all facets of vinyl, including players, stylii, care and maintenance, and of course... records.

Donate to Tapeheads!

Old 09-03-2017, 04:20 PM
Serious Tapehead

An 80's Classic!

We have John Cougar Melloncamp's Scarecrow. Actually this record came at the tail end of my original active music buying/listening phase. In any event the hits from it are still well known and the tracks I liked still echo favorably. It's was on the turntable a little while ago and it was like hearing it for the first time. A very strong heart felt record of that kind of true grit middle America.

Interesting is as disappointing as the recent Freewheelin' was this record is that good. It has been said the 80's were a bad time for vinyl. But 24 and 48 analogue multitracking was at it's zenith and as such records from this era are smooth and this one at least is quiet. All in all my memory of it being a good record is stirred to it being a better record than I remembered.
Old 09-05-2017, 02:24 AM
TapeHeads.Net Member

Sometimes I run ahead of myself and realize that I didn't quite mean what I wrote or how I wrote it.
When I was speaking of mid- and late 80s LPs being bad, I probably meant pressings of older LPs from the seventies - the matrices for these may have been worn out and no one cared to replace them with new ones.
New LPs, recorded in the 1980s could/ may have been very good. I don't have very many of those because in the 1980s I was mainly interested in older music, so in those years I was buying many older albums.
The albums recorded in that time - some were indeed very good (Marillion "Fugazi", Kate Bush "Hounds of Love" , Dire Straits "Love Over Gold" come to mind).

Would you like to see your company or site here?  CONTACT US
For more Tapeheads affiliates and links, see the Links and Resources page.