Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums
High quality analog audio tape for professionals and enthusiasts alike.

Go Back   Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums > General Audio Discussions > Turntables and Vinyl

Turntables and Vinyl Discuss all facets of vinyl, including players, stylii, care and maintenance, and of course... records.

Donate to Tapeheads!

Old 09-03-2017, 10:18 AM
Serious Tapehead

Cary

Didn't want her day ruined.

Please, if that's how she feels, then she needs to understand how YOU feel and not let her feelings override yours all the time.

If someone gets like that, then I have NO use for them, plain and simple. There are times when both have to give and take and let the other enjoy their interests and let them coexist.

But knowing how you come across here, I can partly understand why her feelings as you try to hammer your feelings on US about how bad digital is and how great vinyl, or analog is, irregardless of how good/bad each can be.

my system Kenwood KD12-RB turntable, SHURE M97xE cart, Muffsy PP3 phono pre, Receiver: Sherwood RX4030R, TEAC A4300SX R2R, Denon DCM-370 CD changer, Speakers: sansui SP1700 and in testing/restoration phase, Sansui SP-3000, eMachines PC for multimedia use and recently got a Nakamichi BX100 cassette deck
Old 09-03-2017, 10:49 AM
Buh-bye.

You just made my point.

A friend of mine runs the HiFi shop here.

I would never tell anyone to go in there. He's openly hostile to people and if you mention vinyl and tape he goes nuts.

The last downturn ruined his outlook completely.

She knew the salesman would say something nasty. It's just the world we live in.

Like me, she protects the feelings that are cultivated in our house.

Almost every store now has the feeling of a car dealership.

I love the fact that It's not part of my life at all.

I ordered all my latest electronics etc online......................
Old 09-03-2017, 11:21 AM
TapeHeads.Net Member

@Lance L.

There's one thing you may not be taking into account. If your wife bought the LP in 1963, that makes it 54 years ago (!!!). She says she played it only a couple of times. I say, things that happened 50 years ago are cloudy at best. You simply can't remember, unles you're a cyborg. All other things considered (bad equipment, damaged needles), there's no knowing what the LP went through in all those years.

And another note, about pressing quality. This is my main argument against the LP as "the ultimate medium". I have hosted a number of "pressing comparison parties" and there were some instances where the differences between various pressings were mindbogglingly jaw-dropping. All the bass, no highs, Silky highs, cardboard bass, stereo image from surround sound to mono etc. And no, Japanese mint LPs don't always sound the best.
If "kids" buying used LPs today are not aware of this, they may be in for some undeserved disappointments, through nobody's fault.
A nice example of this was Peter Gabriel's "Melt" album. My Canadian copy sounds sort of flat, but otherwise plays all right. Then we played my friend's English copy. It had such awesome bass (Collins' drum pattern on the beginning of "Intruder"), we just sat there looking at each other in disbelief. It went deeper than your typical Prodigy record. It was unbelievable.
The catch is, my buddy had a fixation on getting an English pressing of the album. He must have been looking for it for a year or two. But when he finally got it, man....

So you can't just get any pressing of any album and expect it to play like any other. It's a hit and miss affair that ends up costing serious money if you don't know what you're after. And it doesn't necessarily have to be the holy glorified "first press".

So, coming back to the LL's rant - maybe the record got milled down on the first run, maybe it was a bad press. Hard luck. I wouldn't lose sleep over it.

Last edited by Sandflyer; 09-03-2017 at 11:46 AM.
Old 09-03-2017, 11:39 AM
Serious Tapehead

Agree here, and a good example is Led Zep II, when first released, it was pressed hot and had great sound quality, full, rich, dynamic etc but at the time, it was too much for most lower end record players and turntables to track without jumping out of the grooves.

So it was remastered/recut at a lower level and that is what we're stuck with and it's flat, undynamic in comparison.

I h ave heard different copies of an album and have had one exponentially better than another due to one pressing being so much better, due in some part to being a lower stamper pressing than the less good sounding copy.

But as you have said, and others too, when you get a good pressing of a well mastered LP, it can sound phenomenal. I played Can't Buy a Thrill by Steely Dan today in honer of Walter Becker's life and it's a great sounding album, but here again a halfway decent deck with a halfway decent cart/phono stage and the rest of the system downstream helps things a great deal as having a great sounding LP will be moot if the rest of the setup is not up to snuff.

my system Kenwood KD12-RB turntable, SHURE M97xE cart, Muffsy PP3 phono pre, Receiver: Sherwood RX4030R, TEAC A4300SX R2R, Denon DCM-370 CD changer, Speakers: sansui SP1700 and in testing/restoration phase, Sansui SP-3000, eMachines PC for multimedia use and recently got a Nakamichi BX100 cassette deck
Old 09-03-2017, 12:03 PM
Serious Tapehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandflyer View Post
@Lance L.

There's one thing you may not be taking into account. If your wife bought the LP in 1963, that makes it 54 years ago (!!!). She says she played it only a couple of times.
However I've known my wife for a very long time. I know her passions are music and books. He passion for music and her records was such that even when we were courting she never let me borrow her records. Her collection than as today was sleeves stored in the proper audiophile manner of closed end out. Her tastes in music would have precluded a penchant for early Bob Dylan and her only two often played Dylan albums are Nashville Skyline and Blood On The Tracks. So when she said she paid little attention to Freewheelin' I believe it.

Nope what we have here is an album pressed back when it was current and for whatever the reason it is a dud simple as that. Not so simple is that I had to go through three copies of then current reissues of Blonde On Blonde in the late 70's to find one that was on par with my original 1966 pressing. Not only that but the pressing I finally did keep is barely as good as the original. However my 5.1 SACD blows every vinyl I have of Blonde out of the water.
Old 09-03-2017, 12:09 PM
TapeHeads.Net Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Lawson View Post
...even when we were courting she never let me borrow her records...
Pow! - that's when the man with the hammer shouts "SOLD!"

OK, if the records 'n' archives are impeccable, I humbly retract my suspicions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Lawson View Post
...my 5.1 SACD blows every vinyl I have of Blonde out of the water.
Yeah, I can say the same for my DVD-audio 40th anniversary edition of In the Court of the Crimson King.

Last edited by Sandflyer; 09-03-2017 at 12:12 PM.
Old 09-03-2017, 12:41 PM
audiophool deluxe

You got me curious as I have both a moneo and a stereo copy that I bought when I was in High School. I dug out the stereo one that is a 3A,B pressing and ran it through the VIP and its playing now. Still on side one but no sonic anomalies so far except the odd crackle here and there but not many.

SONY PS-X800
Dynvector LOMC 23MR
Korn Lavatories SP-100 with all FET MC card installed.

Actually I am amazed at how little surface noise there is. Very quiet background overall. I played this a lot when I was young but usually played it all the way through as I did most my LP's. Its still shiny with a few light surface marks that don't affect anything. Super quiet between tracks. I had reasonably nice equipment from the start as I got my Dad's hand-me-downs at first. I probably haven't played this in more than 30 years.

Dave

Last edited by DaveInVA; 09-03-2017 at 12:46 PM.
Old 09-04-2017, 12:35 AM
An Awesome Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phonatacid
You cleaned it with "wood glue?" What exactly does that mean?
Wood glue is VERY GOOD for removing the most dirt,etc from the surface......
Old 09-04-2017, 06:47 AM
Serious Tapehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInVA View Post

You got me curious as I have both a moneo and a stereo copy that I bought when I was in High School. I dug out the stereo one that is a 3A,B pressing and ran it through the VIP and its playing now. Still on side one but no sonic anomalies so far except the odd crackle here and there but not many.

SONY PS-X800
Dynvector LOMC 23MR
Korn Lavatories SP-100 with all FET MC card installed.

Actually I am amazed at how little surface noise there is. Very quiet background overall. I played this a lot when I was young but usually played it all the way through as I did most my LP's. Its still shiny with a few light surface marks that don't affect anything. Super quiet between tracks. I had reasonably nice equipment from the start as I got my Dad's hand-me-downs at first. I probably haven't played this in more than 30 years.

Dave
I decided to run another cleaning on my Freewheelin' which included soap and water, 99% alcohol and naphtha. I reasoned that this would cut/loosen all water soluble debris, all non water and non hydrocarbon contamination and all hydrocarbon contamination. I figured I'd re record the dub too. However a test listen confirmed that this record's problems are not on the record surface but rather in the grooves themselves. Classic bad pressing. I left the dub as first recorded no reason to change it.

BTW Dave when was your Freewheeling pressed? Does it have a red label with white lettering or red with yellow lettering? Red with yellow is 1970 and later. Mine is red with white lettering.

Last edited by Lance Lawson; 09-04-2017 at 06:50 AM.
Old 09-04-2017, 07:24 AM
Serious Tapehead

If original, it's the classic "2-eye" label from 1963-1969 but that does not mean that copy was pressed at the time of the album's release or close thereafter but could be a later pressing from say, 1966, and it all depends on when it was bought new.

Old 09-04-2017, 08:46 AM
audiophool deluxe

My moneo copy is a 2-eye but haven't looked at the deadwax for the stamper yet.
The stereo copy I likely bought '69-70 and its got the yellow text and is pressing 3A,B.

Dave

Would you like to see your company or site here?  CONTACT US
For more Tapeheads affiliates and links, see the Links and Resources page.