Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums
High quality analog audio tape for professionals and enthusiasts alike.

Go Back   Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums > General Audio Discussions > Turntables and Vinyl

Turntables and Vinyl Discuss all facets of vinyl, including players, stylii, care and maintenance, and of course... records.

Donate to Tapeheads!

Old 08-17-2017, 04:04 AM
Serious Tapehead

Vinyl wilderness years - 1998-2008

Who remembers these years and how did it affect your vinyl listening?

I remember it really well, charity shops with signs 'no LPs' in the window, racks bulging with used records, nobody seemingly interested. Well I was, and in 1998 bought myself a new turntable - the Technics BD22 - as my old Memorex machine was showing signs of wear.

I picked up dance 12" singles quite easily and always ordered the vinyl version of LP's where I could. I did buy some limited run 7" singles but they sounded HORRIBLE and like a bad MP3. Straight from the CD master I suppose.

I always was looking for better though, but nobody really seemed to care and the choice of TT's was either those £10,000 glass platter jobs or junk dressed up as good - the Thorens I bought to 'upgrade' from the BD22 was tat, not even a pitch control - and the speed was off to boot. Then I found Expert Stylus and they fitted a nude gem in place of the Technics conical - BIG improvement. I also ordered a custom made phono stage - 'Jazz Club' it was called.

After a bit I started to see vinyl making a comeback but I always felt disappointed that it nearly died off completely as it is not what it was even after it became popular again - and much more expensive too (especially styli).

Anyway, this week I did upgrade my old BD22 to a QD33 I found on eBay locally - and am happy with that. The BD22 was still going strong after 20 years but starting to get a bit erratic.

So how did you survive the 'wilderness years'?
Old 08-17-2017, 05:10 AM
Analogue Addict

I donít know, it never really affected me as I had good record shops near me. The charity shops had plenty of records too, I had to be careful what I bought as most of the records even though cheap were in a shocking state.
I felt the record players were plentiful too in all price brackets from say £300 and up.
Old 08-17-2017, 08:18 AM
Serious Tapehead

I left the US in November 1998 and went to the Czech Republic for 5 years. Spent those years traveling around Eastern Europe digging vinyl. It was great.
Old 08-17-2017, 08:34 AM
Todays Tom Sawyer

It really didn't affect me either. I stupidly dumped my record collection in 1992 along with nearly everything else I owned when I joined the Navy, not wanting to be tied down by lots of "stuff" in storage somewhere. Besides, CD's made vinyl "obsolete", right? So I kept my CD's and DAT's but ditched the vinyl and all my cassette tapes.

By 2006, still in the Navy but with a home and family, I started rebuilding my 2 ch stereo system. I found a Technics SL-1600mkII in a thrift store, nearly complete but beat up. I repainted the plinth, rebuilt the entire mechanism, replaced the missing parts with originals and started rebuilding my vinyl collection. First order of business? Replacing the LP's I used to have! Well, you know what they say, "Hindsight is 20/20"! FF to today, I have well over 100 albums, many that I had owned previously, but some brand new ones too.
Old 08-17-2017, 08:56 AM
Turn it up!

No real effect on me, other than to create a buying opportunity. I never stopped listening to and acquiring vinyl, even though I did also add CD/digital to my systems. I have nearly 1500 LPs now (and have purged the collection of stuff I found that I didn't enjoy anymore several times), probably a third of which were purchased when vinyl was at its lowpoint...prices were great then, and you could find a lot of good-condition used albums that you really wanted (unlike today).
Old 08-17-2017, 09:03 AM
Serious Tapehead

I never got out of vinyl. I stopped buying music for a while, because life got in the way.

A few years back I cleaned out my 'electronics workshop' leaving me room to set up my stereo properly. I always enjoyed making tapes, fiddling with the buttons, getting it just so, so I kinda picked up where I left off. Cleaned all my albums wit a Disco Antistat. Sold 100+ albums I knew I was never going to play again (Chaotic Dischord and Discharge anyone ?), and got some classic rock ones instead. Sins, the stack is still 700 albums high, but there must be 200 replaced by now.

Bought a few more tapedecks and turntables since. I just enjoy it.
Old 08-17-2017, 09:04 AM
Aiwa

That was the best time to buy new vinyl, because at the same time the CD mastering was the worst.
But i mostly bought second hand vinyls. They were cheap !
In 2003 i've found a store where 33 were 0,75Ä and 45 were only 0,15Ä
Bought them by dozen and played them at the radio station where i was dj.

Ah good times, music for cheap.
Nowadays the CDs are cheap good times continue
Old 08-17-2017, 09:38 AM
Analogue Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcbluesman View Post
(and have purged the collection of stuff I found that I didn't enjoy anymore several times)
I struggle to remove stuff I am not listening to anymore, as my collection says something about me. Every one of them says something about me at that point in my life, so they all stay even the embarrassing ones.
I have been busy adding them all into a database so I donít keep buying duplicates. If you want to see whatís in the database so far click here, I still have loads more to do. It feels like an uphill battle, but it will be good when all is done.
Old 08-17-2017, 10:21 AM
Catch the Spirit of a True ΩPIONEER

Vinyl was merely one of those "Mysterious Old Things my Folks Occasionally Used" as a pre-teen kid in the 80's, and did not actually become a thing for me until around 2000,
when my parents handed me down the very same component Hi-Fi my dad used while working model kits in his Art Room in the 80's,
a mid-70's NIKKO reciever, early-80's RS REALISTIC Graphic EQ, late-80's PIONEER Dual-Well Deck, and 70's BSR CHANGER TT. oh, and a pair of no-name three-way floorstanders.

it all sounded OK, for a start, far better than the PANASONIC dual-cassette boombox that previously served for a Stereo, and that BSR TT, -mod. 200BAX- lasted me until around 2007, when i found an early-70's REALISTIC/ELAC Changer for almost free,
-mod. MIRACORD 46- my first TT of at least a reasonable weight and quality, an unequivocal step up from the BSR, and the price certainly couldn't have been better.

that ELAC lasted me until about 2012, when i found a mid-70's KENWOOD locally for free, -mod. KD-1033- not nearly as robustly built as the ELAC, but a much better performer overall.

the KENWOOD lasted less a year, when i just couldn't deny myself the decent PIONEER TT i long pined to complete my all-PIONEER system with, and i ended up settling online for a mid-70's PL-112D,
the best looking and best condition model i could afford at that time, with plans to step up to a higher-end PIONEER model the first chance i got.

well, it's 2017, and i still have the PL-112D. i've it's service manual, owners' manual, original sales' brochure and it's original headshell,
upgraded with OFC LITZ lead wires and an AUDIO TECHNICA PRO-11E Cart/Styli.

it's about as complete, and as in nice a condition overall, as i'm likely to ever have, especially as the online values of vintage TTs have skyrocketed
since i bought this PIONEER, most of the higher-end vintage models that i had had my eye on, now priced well out of my reach.

i began humble in TTs, still am humble, by most measures, but i consider myself lucky to own the mid-70's entry-level PIONEER that i currently have,
in fine condition for 40-odd years of age, simple and easy to service, complete with documentation, and pretty swell-sounding to boot...

Last edited by Tasuke; 08-17-2017 at 10:31 AM.
Old 08-17-2017, 11:43 AM
Serious Tapehead

Smile

I abandoned vinyl and cassette in 1998, no problem for me, I only had 7 records as a kid (kept to this day) all my tapes were worn out.

I had a decent set of tannoys, a technics CD player and amp and sony minidisc that sounded great (and I could finally afford blanks that were coincidentally about the same price as a TDK ma 90 at the time)

Cherio tape and vinyl!

I didn't even think about it again until 2013 when I went crazy and went and got a turntable again.....been spiralling out of control ever since!! So glad I had this mad idea 23 tapedecks,6 pairs of speakers,3 turntables, 2 x 8 tracks and 5 walkmans ago.

All I can say is my life changed for the better!

Played on an ever increasing amount of equipment that just keeps following me home......
Old 08-17-2017, 11:44 AM
Serious Tapehead

Oh, and I forgot the two reel to reels!😆

Played on an ever increasing amount of equipment that just keeps following me home......
Old 08-17-2017, 12:55 PM
Buh-bye.

We're out of the woods at this point!!!

http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/98...M_Vinyl_Record
Old 08-17-2017, 01:42 PM
Analogue Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasuke View Post

well, it's 2017, and i still have the PL-112D.
I remember the Pioneer PL-112D that was my first turntable. I kept it for about 6 months then I traded it in for a Linn Axis. I kept the Axis for a while not sure how long. I then traded it in for a Roksan Xerxes. The Xerxes I kept for years, I then later gave it to the friend I bought my first turntable from. After the Roksan Xerxes I then got the Acoustic Solid One to One the one I have now, I have not had the urge to change the One to One I love it.
Old 08-17-2017, 04:28 PM
Serious Tapehead

Thanks for the input. Good to see a few others who never ditched the format and kept the lights on as it were.

My BD22 really fostered my love for vinyl and with headphones on I spent many evenings immersed in some classic albums. Can't ask for more can I? I see that there are some almost new examples on eBay for about £400 so I may well pick up a spare while I can.
Old 08-17-2017, 05:06 PM
Tapeheads Supporter

Like others here, I just used those years as buying opportunities. I'd built a sizeable collection early on through demo discs that came into the radio stations where I worked, or bought albums at $1 per disc from a record service for radio stations. While I shifted a lot of purchasing to CDs in the 80s, when sealed vinyl came up for sale, I bought it. I also upgraded my turntables slowly through the years from a Dual 601 to a Denon DP-15 to a Revolver and finally, to my current VPI/SME 309 combination that I've had since the very late 90s.

When a really great sounding disc comes out, it's always fun to give it a spin but my collecting days are pretty much over - I've got all the titles I'm interested in from back in the day. I'm purchasing new music on hi-res downloads until people can start making decent vinyl pressings again.
Old 08-17-2017, 06:18 PM
Turn it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linear View Post
Thanks for the input. Good to see a few others who never ditched the format and kept the lights on as it were.

My BD22 really fostered my love for vinyl and with headphones on I spent many evenings immersed in some classic albums. Can't ask for more can I? I see that there are some almost new examples on eBay for about £400 so I may well pick up a spare while I can.
Am I interpreting the exchange rate correctly? That would be $500 for a BD22!! While certainly not a bad table, it was/is very much an entry level deck. They go for less than $100 on ebay in the States (often with new belt and stylus).
Old 08-17-2017, 07:52 PM
TapeHeads.Net Member

Fortunately, I never made any rash decision to get rid of my vinyl collection back in those times. Still though, this collection has only grown very slowly for many years now. I admit that I've pretty much changed over to collecting CD's instead, which is the collection that has really been expanding for me, but I'll always enjoy the experience of listening to my LP's & 45's whenever I get the urge to.
Old 08-17-2017, 08:17 PM
Serious Tapehead

I never did either, and around 1999-2000, discovered Audio Asylum and remain active there for a while until the drama there got too bad and I lost interest a few years later and was buying vinyl like it was going out of style for the at the time pretty much NO budget, but at that time, I was finding good vinyl at the GoodWill in Seattle for what, .50-1.00 per LP, in good shape and many 70's-80's rock stuff, now what you mostly find are the erzatz stuff, you know, Ray Conniff etc, Sing Along Mitch albums, old Herb Alpert and the TJ Brass (I have a few of those myself!)

.I also bought a what, 5 new reissues on vinyl of old albums, such as a Sun Ra LP, Thelonious Monk's 1967 album, Straight No Chaser from Columbia of all things on vinyl, along with a then new reissue of Surrealistic Pillow by the Jefferson Airplane (1967), you get the drift.

That's about the time I first got the Kenwood that I still rock to this day and in 2000 I think it was, bought the Ortofon Super OM-10 cart and in 2006, upgraded that to the current SHURE M97xE and I've since then upgraded the phono stage to the Muffsy PP3 from Skrodhal in Malmo Sweden as a kit in early '16 to upgrade and have as a project I was so desperate in need of one, and it proved to be just what the doctor ordered and prompted me to buy a decent soldering station.

Throughout all this time, I did get into CD but never lost my love for vinyl though! I've been jonesing to replace my current table with a better one since 2000 or so and hope to do so eventually!

However, kind of stopped buying for a while, or much anyway, and now purchase the occasional album when I can.

Seattle never completely lost its record stores, and new ones have sprung up over the past decade or so, and where I live now, there are 5 just north of me and since last summer when I first moved into my house, I have bought the occasional album and even at $24 per LP, I have no regrets for some are well worth that. The thrift stores are still hit and miss these days though.

my system Kenwood KD12-RB turntable, SHURE M97xE cart, Muffsy PP3 phono pre, Receiver: Sherwood RX4030R, TEAC A4300SX R2R, Denon DCM-370 CD changer, Speakers: sansui SP1700 and in testing/restoration phase, Sansui SP-3000, eMachines PC for multimedia use and recently got a Nakamichi BX100 cassette deck

Last edited by john from seattle; 08-17-2017 at 08:22 PM.
Old 08-18-2017, 09:18 AM
Serious Tapehead

In my case it was just a PIA to go through the trouble of selling the albums especially since many were never again released on any other formats. But my last albums bought in the original vinyl age were in the early eighties. When I bought music again in the mid 90's and later it was CD. With rare exception all of my 90's and newer purchases are digital. In very recent time I have purchased some new vinyl. However I don't kid myself that I'm making the best sonic choice when I do buy vinyl. For me vinyl is a physical aesthetic choice as opposed to a ultimate best sound choice.
Old 08-18-2017, 12:54 PM
Buh-bye.

With MoFi re-issues I used to buy both the CD and vinyl. The vinyl almost always wins.

Hence the values.

I don't own any SACDs except for a few that I bought when they first came out.

The new vinyl sleighs everything except tape copy's.

I know a guy who has 4000 reels.

Rumour has it some studio guys aren't very ethical.

Heard a great story about Steve Hoffman. Don't know if I should repeat it here.

Would you like to see your company or site here?  CONTACT US
For more Tapeheads affiliates and links, see the Links and Resources page.