Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums
High quality analog audio tape for professionals and enthusiasts alike.

Go Back   Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums > General Audio Discussions > Turntables and Vinyl

Turntables and Vinyl Discuss all facets of vinyl, including players, stylii, care and maintenance, and of course... records.

Donate to Tapeheads!

Old 09-21-2017, 05:03 PM
Serious Tapehead

The later pressings of CSN

Back in 1969 I bought a fresh early pressing of Crosby, Stillis & Nash. I played it to death to the point that it looked like an old juke box hit record with a million plays on it. My soon to be wife in the early 70's had it and her meticulous care of it found it better than my copy. So in 1978 or so I bought a new copy and not only did it have a horrid slick jacket but the ink was washed out and faded looking. I didn't like the sound of it all that much. It had been remixed in a way that the stereo separation was sort of the same only different? On my original copy the final guitar note in Helplessly Hoping was slightly panned more in the left channel and as that note blossomed it was brought to dead center pan which gave the note and fade something of a robust signature. If nothing else it showed that the mixing half been done with care and really thought through.

I wonder what the modern reissues are like and I wonder if the CD suffers from the same "lazyness of detail" that the late 70's had. Also the late 70's was the heyday of counterfeit records and there were many albums in my region then that were counterfeits.

I suppose this can help demonstrate that even in the good old days records could be badly made for one reason o the other.
Old 09-21-2017, 09:53 PM
Oxide Particle Collector

I find that all pressings are subject to limitations. My original CSN album was lost in a flood in my mom's basement some 30 + years ago, and since then I have purchased 3 copies: a Nautilus Super Disc and 2 slick cover versions...none of which equal my long lost original. They were all boomy on the bottom and sharp on the high end. Not at all pleasing to the ear and nothing like the original pressing lost so long ago. My memories of that CSN album are so crisp and clear and I will continue my search until I find a suitable replacement. I keep reminding myself it is the journey not the goal.....
Old 09-22-2017, 04:42 AM
Serious Tapehead

I have that album; it's a re-issue but I don't think it sounds too bad, except there's one section of Wooden Ships where one channel cuts out abruptly and then fades back in, that irritates the hell out of me. I've never heard anything that bad on any other record... well I've got a Dave Clark Five record where the source tape was riddled with dropouts, but those can be tuned out.

Also, my copy of Deja Vu (also a re-issue) has the bass cranked up WAY too high. It doesn't sound bad at all when I turn the bass down, but I still shouldn't have to do that.

Both LPs were bought used, so I don't know when exactly they were re-issued.
Old 09-22-2017, 01:03 PM
Live Long and Prosper..

I have first pressings of both and they sound absolutely outstanding in every way. If you by chance ever com across an early pressing of "So Far" on vinyl pick it up. It too is unbelievably good. Even the original release CD of "So Far" is first rate, and remember that's a CD. Not sure about reissues or remasters here, never had the need for either on any of these titles. The CD of "So Far" is one of the best AAD CD's I've heard to date.

Not sure who mastered it without looking, but whoever it was did a top notch job IMO.

Would you like to see your company or site here?  CONTACT US
For more Tapeheads affiliates and links, see the Links and Resources page.