Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums
Universal Capstan Motor

Go Back   Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums > General Audio Discussions > Compact Disc

Compact Disc The forum to discuss CDs, equipment, hardware, and recordable media. SACD and DVD goes here, too.

Donate to Tapeheads!

Old 09-09-2017, 10:42 PM
Serious Tapehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20tajk7 View Post
It's just ePayer's bullshit, "digital" doesn't mean "better".
as a generic statement out of the context, yes, digital does not mean better.
digital only provides the conditions for a thing to be better. compare vhs with dvd and the conclusions are clear. then set your sat dish to one of the italian teleshops channels and draw other conclusions

here were mainly two resons why early cds had some quality issues.
1. the initial quality of the adc, which were st ok by today standards
2. the entire process before duplication (aad, add, rarely dad) - analogue lovers prefer to forget that the best vinyls before the cd were those so-called "digital" lps.
also, in some occasions, there were cases of cds made after tapes sent for vinyls

so, in my view chris g is right, ddd is better.
the only problem was that the new toy, the middle D has been abused by idiots in their quest for the maximum soud presure, and contributed to the quality decay of the cd.
Old 09-10-2017, 12:12 AM
Hoarder Extraordinaire

Everything being equal, I would say that the 'DDD' CD's are going to sound better overall but doubt that it translates into them being more valuable or collectible. I think first pressings and imports that were produced in lower quantities count more for dollar value than how the source material was recorded.

I just picked up the first Flim and the BB's CD 'Tricycle' and I specifically picked out the first 1983 version as I think that there were at least 2 more pressings that followed. Looking at past auctions it seemed that the only other one that had sold was another 1983 copy. Darned if it didn't play perfectly straight through on my antique CD player. If I put in a CD that was released in the 90's let's say, it would be skipping all over the place. So that is why I seek out the early pressed CD's.

That said I still prefer analog over digital.
Old 09-10-2017, 12:33 AM
Serious Tapehead

the original, 60 min cds had a larger track pitch, maybe this is why
they also had a higher linear speed, of 1.4 instead of 1.2 actual, but this should work with all players....
Old 09-10-2017, 03:12 PM
Serious Tapehead

Hey, you want to come over and see my cd collection?

It's up to around 5500 titles now.

J
Old 09-10-2017, 05:48 PM
Serious Tapehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghitulescu View Post
as a generic statement out of the context, yes, digital does not mean better.
digital only provides the conditions for a thing to be better. compare vhs with dvd and the conclusions are clear. then set your sat dish to one of the italian teleshops channels and draw other conclusions

here were mainly two resons why early cds had some quality issues.
1. the initial quality of the adc, which were st ok by today standards
2. the entire process before duplication (aad, add, rarely dad) - analogue lovers prefer to forget that the best vinyls before the cd were those so-called "digital" lps.
also, in some occasions, there were cases of cds made after tapes sent for vinyls

so, in my view chris g is right, ddd is better.
the only problem was that the new toy, the middle D has been abused by idiots in their quest for the maximum soud presure, and contributed to the quality decay of the cd.
Yes, I agree. DDD properly mastered sounds excellent! I guess that's why all those gold CDs (MSFL, Ultradisc, DCC classics) all sell for high prices on eBay. But I don't think those CDs are DDD mastered. Probably AAD, or ADD.
Old 09-12-2017, 03:41 AM
Just Enjoying the Music

Quote:
Originally Posted by john from seattle View Post
Except that analog, vinyl especially never did totally die out, it soldiered on and is making a roaring comeback in recent years.
Well, it was near extinct. There were only a few "downtown" record store locations that either carried or imported it. Most stores didn't carry vinyl here in Canada between 1991 and 2008.
Old 09-12-2017, 06:44 AM
Serious Tapehead

I think CDs will eventually become very collectible. They were pretty much the last physical format available and that actually paid some attention to sound quality. Since CDs, everything has gone into thin air and is just downloaded or streamed with more attention paid to convenience than sound quality. There are always at least some people who will search out the sound quality and I think the vinyl revival has shown how people like to own physical media. Right now, you can go to flea markets or garage sales and stock up on piles of CDs for very, very low prices. If you want to corner the market that emerges in another decade or so, start snapping them up, although you may have to hold onto them for quite some time.
Old 09-12-2017, 07:05 AM
Serious Tapehead

Everything was convenience... whether the sound was kept, improved or degraded...
Here's Peter Goldmark holding the same amount of "duration" in his hands, as contained in the 78s next to him...

The CD holding almost twice as much as the bigger LP

and by comparizon an LP holding the same amount of music as the CD

finally to ...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg inventor-peter-goldmark-standing-next-to-tall-storage-tower-holding-78.jpg (164.8 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg cd.lp.1.jpg (9.4 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg lp cd.jpg (20.4 KB, 23 views)

Would you like to see your company or site here?  CONTACT US
For more Tapeheads affiliates and links, see the Links and Resources page.