Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums
Universal Capstan Motor

Go Back   Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums > Service, Restorations, Helpful How-Tos, Parts and Manuals, Ads and More! > Pacific's Restorations

Pacific's Restorations You can see all of Pacific's vintage gear restorations here.

Donate to Tapeheads!

Old 04-04-2015, 06:15 PM
Sendust for brains

So here's some photos.

Ugh. Really dirty, and damage that can't be fixed. I can't turn olume into volume, nor can I fix that gouge. But we can get to work on her and make her better. One of the things I do is remove the leaf switches and clean them. Here's what came off of them just with a brush and alcohol.

And here's what they look like after some TLC.

And long story short, she's much better. Of course, the covers for the front end and tuner section go on after this shot.

Playing some tunes on the bench. And I TOLD you it was mule time!

I RESTORE VINTAGE AUDIO AND VIDEO GEAR. Master technician for Concept, Quadraflex, Calibre, Pioneer and Sony. Endorsed by Richard Schram for Concept product restoration. Factory technician for both Yamaha and JVC. Sonics consultant for Denon. Pacific Stereo store manager, service manager, Central Service lead tech, liquidator at our demise. Pacific Stereo curator. Infinity IRS dealer. Music buyer for one of the first CD retailers in the USA. Authorized servicer for virtually every brand on the planet at one time or another. Music addict. Mastering & recording engineer, weaned on a Neve (no other console sounds like a Neve!). Industry-respected ears. Head Tapehead.

Need vintage audio & video repair and restoration, or unobtanium semiconductors and parts? Ask me! And do visit the website: pacificstereo.net
Old 03-23-2016, 03:16 PM
Sendust for brains

They just keep coming in. There have been several since the last post, but I thought everyone would like this one. Before and after!

This one has had something spilled in it. It's also had something splashed on the front. Corrosion is everywhere, inside and out. That puckered area on the right transformer will just come right off with the softest touch.

We make her all better.

Pretty ugly.

All the corrosion was removed and the transformers repainted. I currently don't have the ability to make the stickers, so we just let that go.

The owner was complaining of a noise in one channel. Well, I'm not surprised. Look at all of the loose fuses. Some of the clip sides were bent by me while inspecting the unit before I started to work on her. You can bend them with a feather. I wish I knew why this occurs. I have never seen it anywhere but in our products. All were replaced.

Here's the right side before...

And all done.

Left side and power supply before...

And fixed up.

This poor gal has been ridden hard and put away wet. Even the volume knob is a replacement.

We fix that. All of the spots on the photo above had to be removed with solvent and abrasives.

This one had a lot of stuff wrong with her and just plain busted. Connectors, knobs, corrosion, feet... The good news is that she's already been through burn-in and is now just sitting on the bench, loafing along and playing some XTC. I have to finish putting her back together, listen to her some more and then off she goes...!

I RESTORE VINTAGE AUDIO AND VIDEO GEAR. Master technician for Concept, Quadraflex, Calibre, Pioneer and Sony. Endorsed by Richard Schram for Concept product restoration. Factory technician for both Yamaha and JVC. Sonics consultant for Denon. Pacific Stereo store manager, service manager, Central Service lead tech, liquidator at our demise. Pacific Stereo curator. Infinity IRS dealer. Music buyer for one of the first CD retailers in the USA. Authorized servicer for virtually every brand on the planet at one time or another. Music addict. Mastering & recording engineer, weaned on a Neve (no other console sounds like a Neve!). Industry-respected ears. Head Tapehead.

Need vintage audio & video repair and restoration, or unobtanium semiconductors and parts? Ask me! And do visit the website: pacificstereo.net
Old 04-03-2016, 12:11 AM
Serious Tapehead

I can't believe we can put a man on the moon but there isn't a simple way to get lettering put on a stereo receiver faceplate. Doesn't it have to be silkscreened? It's hard to believe that no one has invented a simple way to accomplish what should be the simplest part of a restoration.

Last edited by NAD613; 04-03-2016 at 12:14 AM.
Old 04-03-2016, 08:09 AM
Sendust for brains

Typically they are screened with an ink that cures (don't know if it's a catalyst or UV). I just don't see how it would be possible to do it yourself.

Old 04-03-2016, 12:04 PM
Serious Tapehead

You'd think some type of stenciling or stamping device could be invented to do that.
Old 08-19-2017, 10:47 AM
TapeHeads Newbie

Smile

I live in Brazil and I have a Concept 16.5 (serial number 102167). Its excellent sonority and simple design enchanted me. Only today I have found your thread about restoration work and it is wonderful and very detailed.
Mauricio
Old 08-19-2017, 12:20 PM
Serious Tapehead

Wow!

Pacific, serious kudos to you, I wish I had taken a different career path years ago, how was I to know I would end up in awe of vintage gear fixers and myself having a fair bit that needs attention....

Great job and fascinating thread.

Played on an ever increasing amount of equipment that just keeps following me home......
Old 08-22-2017, 11:56 AM
Serious Tapehead

I can certainly vouch for his skills. I sent my Concept 16.5 to him last year, and holy cow does it ever sound good!! It performs amazingly well in every category. It was worth every penny!
Old 09-10-2017, 09:06 AM
Sendust for brains

That's very high praise indeed, thank you!

Old 09-11-2017, 09:59 AM
Serious Audio Nut/TapeHeads Member & Supporter

Fantastic work Pacific!

I can't wait until you can get to my Pioneer SX-1980

Keep up the excellent work!

Steve
RTR- TC-880-2, GX-400D-SS, 747, 747dbx CASS Dragon, 1000ZXL, TC K7II, TC K8B, TA-2066 TABLES - PX-2, PF1000 ELCASET - EL-5x2 and EL-7, MAG LOAD RCA 1YB-11 COND- Pro 7000 REC. SX-1980, QRX9001, QSD 1, HDVD PRE AMPS - CA-7x2 8-TRK - CR-80D-SS, GXR-82D, CR-81D, MDS -MDS JA555ES DCC - DD-92, DCC900 DAT - DTS-2000ES, DTC-700 VHS - VCR-953 LD - CLD-99, LD-870 CD - DCD-1015, SACD - SCD 777ES SPKRS - B&W 800, SP5500 PHONES - HD-600, HD-800, Bose QC3, QH-44 REC CLNR Nitty Gritty Mini Pro-2

Would you like to see your company or site here?  CONTACT US
For more Tapeheads affiliates and links, see the Links and Resources page.