Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums
High quality analog audio tape for professionals and enthusiasts alike.

Go Back   Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums > Tape, Taping and Tape Machines > Cassette

Cassette All discussions pertaining to cassette decks. These include general usage, recording, playback and service questions. For subjects related to tape itself, see the Cassette Tape subforum under this one. Obscure service subjects that don't quite fit go in the Help and Do It Yourself subforum.

Donate to Tapeheads!

Old 08-11-2014, 10:06 AM
TapeHeads Newbie

Pioneer Elite CT-91 Issue

Hello All,

New to the forum but have several cassette tape decks, however My Pioneer Elite CT-91 is playing just a little fast not chip monk fast but a little fast. Can this be fixed without taking it to a tech? Thanks for any advice.
Old 08-11-2014, 10:45 AM
Skywave Tape Deck Repair

Yes and No.
Yes, you can do the adjustment at home IF you have an alignment tape and the wow and flutter meter or frequency counter. The adjustment should be detailed in the service manual and is very easy- first clean tape path and make sure you do not have old belts otherwise you are chasing a ghost.

No- With no tools such as an alignment tape and measuring equipment off to the Technician it goes otherwise you are more likely to get close but not as exact as that deck can be.

Sam Palermo, BSEE , ProSquad Member
Skywave Tape Deck Repair- Chicago area
(630)616-0932 Office/ Email skywavebe@sbcglobal.net
Past Teac/Tascam Lead Service Technician at Chicago Factory Service, Sony too still doing repairs.
http://s609729863.onlinehome.us/tape...uipment-repair
Old 08-11-2014, 11:12 AM
Serious Tapehead

There is free software available for checking playback speed:

http://www.techmind.org/audio/#mustun

An accurate speed alignment cassette is needed, and of course a PC with soundcard to run the software.

For TH members interested in DIY tape speed adjustment, I wonder if someone can offer a 3KHz speed alignment cassette at reasonable cost as a service to members, for example within $25 USD. For speed checking only the tape doesn't need to be full track.

For example, someone with a fully serviced Nakamichi Dragon or Revox B215 can simply record a 3KHz tone onto a good C-60 cassette with quality shell and it should be usable for speed adjustment purposes, and possibly even with low enough residual W&F for deck wow & flutter measurements.
Old 08-11-2014, 11:53 AM
Serious Tapehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by scan80269 View Post
There is free software available for checking playback speed:

http://www.techmind.org/audio/#mustun

An accurate speed alignment cassette is needed, and of course a PC with soundcard to run the software.

For TH members interested in DIY tape speed adjustment, I wonder if someone can offer a 3KHz speed alignment cassette at reasonable cost as a service to members, for example within $25 USD. For speed checking only the tape doesn't need to be full track.

For example, someone with a fully serviced Nakamichi Dragon or Revox B215 can simply record a 3KHz tone onto a good C-60 cassette with quality shell and it should be usable for speed adjustment purposes, and possibly even with low enough residual W&F for deck wow & flutter measurements.
Actually, there is free software available for checking playback speed and W&F measurement.

Cheers

Alex

P.S. - if there is enough demand for it (at least ten tapes ordered), I may do a special run of speed tapes for Tapeheads members only on, say, C-20 cassettes at 20 + postage. To save on postage to the US I can send a number of tapes to one member and he would distribute tapes further. That way postage to the US can be as low as 1.20 per tape if I send 10 tapes in one parcel.
Old 08-14-2014, 12:02 PM
Serious Tapehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.N.T. View Post
P.S. - if there is enough demand for it (at least ten tapes ordered), I may do a special run of speed tapes for Tapeheads members only on, say, C-20 cassettes at 20 + postage. To save on postage to the US I can send a number of tapes to one member and he would distribute tapes further. That way postage to the US can be as low as 1.20 per tape if I send 10 tapes in one parcel.
OK, I've recorded ten tapes and can offer these to Tapeheads members at 20 + postage. Details are here.

Cheers

Alex

Would you like to see your company or site here?  CONTACT US
For more Tapeheads affiliates and links, see the Links and Resources page.