Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums
High quality analog audio tape for professionals and enthusiasts alike.

Go Back   Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums > Tape, Taping and Tape Machines > Cassette

Cassette All discussions pertaining to cassette decks. These include general usage, recording, playback and service questions. For subjects related to tape itself, see the Cassette Tape subforum under this one. Obscure service subjects that don't quite fit go in the Help and Do It Yourself subforum.

Donate to Tapeheads!

Old 02-28-2009, 09:02 AM
TapeHeads.Net Member

Pioneer Elite CT-41

Hi:

Has anybody had any experience with this deck? There's not a whole lot of information on the internet for this particular model. I only know that this is essentially the same as Pioneer CT-900S that sold for $800 in 1991. 3 head with Super BLE and Dolby S on board. Shouldn't be too bad, no? I have an opportunity to pick one up with less than 10 hours on it, for $35 plus shipping ($25-$30). Is this a good deal?
Old 02-28-2009, 09:06 AM
Serious Tapehead

Thumbs up

That's a super deal for that deck. That's not a bad deal for any deck that works,
I think you'll find the Pioneer elite CT-41 to be a very fine deck.

Nakamichi:Dragon,LX-5,700,600,500,BX-100/2,BX-2
Yamaha:KX-1200U/2
B&O: Beocord 9000
Pioneer:CT-F950,CT-F9191
Aiwa:F990
Kyocera:D801
Old 02-28-2009, 09:06 AM
ǝɔıloԀ qǝM

I had one a number of years back and foolishly sold it. I'd say that price is very good. I sold mine on ebay for approximately $150 three or four years ago. If in good condition I'm sure it would still sell in that same price range.

Welcome to TapeHeads.

A nickel from yesterday isn't worth a half dollar today.
Old 02-28-2009, 06:18 PM
Serious Tapehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingcrab View Post
I have an opportunity to pick one up with less than 10 hours on it, for $35 plus shipping ($25-$30). Is this a good deal?
Do not hesitate for this price. This is one of the finest decks coming from Pioneer. It has the same 3 motor mechanism which is employed in the TOTL CT91/93 decks (and I believe the same headset), what I like about it is that is so easy to service. Well thought of deck regarding construction. It comes with cheaper components, and simplified circuits, compared to its predecessors CT-800S/CT-91/CT-93 but still very nice deck.
For connoisseurs like us it will come as a pleasant new addition to our audio collections.

D.
TT: Empire 598, tonearm: Jelco sa750d, cart: Denon DL110, Denon 103R, step-up: CineMag CMQEE 3440A
Amp: Kenwood KA-127
Speakers: Klipsch KSF 8.5
Old 02-28-2009, 06:52 PM
TapeHeads.Net Member

Thank you all for your positive comments. I am going to get it and report back.
Old 03-01-2009, 11:55 AM
Inactive

Thumbs up

Quote:
Thank you all for your positive comments. I am going to get it and report back.
! We'll anxiously await. Welcome to TH btw!
Old 03-01-2009, 06:23 PM
TapeHeads.Net Member

Here's a teaser picture. Sorry about the quality. I didn't take it, the seller did. Question though, I thought Elite models come with side panels. Also the finish doesn't look piano black at all. Maybe because flash was used?
Old 03-01-2009, 07:12 PM
Inactive

Thumbs up Nice!

That is a pretty deck, as to the side panels, most came with. Your example may have had it's taken off for space reasons for where it was placed, ask the seller about it, they might still be around, you could also have a pair made up in something exotic.

I was tempted to bid on this ES http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=320341141415 recently, though the winning bidder was active in other auctions and my gut told me they were willing to go much higher, I didn't have the scratch. I Got a real nice Denon DN-790R instead!
Old 03-01-2009, 07:17 PM
ǝɔıloԀ qǝM

I think they could be purchased either way with or without the side panels.

stuwee the Sony Deck came with wood side panels also. I had that same ES deck a few years back with the wood side panels.

A nickel from yesterday isn't worth a half dollar today.
Old 03-01-2009, 08:00 PM
BlazeES

Cool

***in response to the ES deck side panel side discussion...***

Strangely enough, not all ES decks came with side panels as a default. It was primarily market driven. ES components that made their way into a few select retail chains would typically come without and then be offered as an upgrade - 100 buckaroos for a set of two. The more exclusive "mom and pop" joints that were designated ES Authorized channel retailers (there were only a few in NorCal back in the day and they had those bitchin cool Sony ES logo neon signs in their windows and/or showrooms) would generally offer the units with side panels as a default because they were typically catering to the "higher end" purchaser, one that would eventually build a complete system, that matched. The Federated's, Pacific Stereo's and such would more often then not just sell a single component to a customer with a black set of gear in his home rack absent of side panels. It was more of a "add-on" market approach as opposed to a system sale/investment one. I have 1st hand experience with Authorized outfits that offered, for instance, the TAN-80ES and TAN-55ES (mono-block capable power amps) without side panels (later in the nineties when things started to go digital) - as shipped from the factory. It was a goofy practice if you ask me - but again it comes down to the market and cost savings.

There are simple "rule of thumb" considerations on ES components that are tell tale:

1) If you're lucky to score a ES component with the original box, and it's being sold without wood panels, then the styro-inserts will accomodate the raw unit snugly - as in - no room for the panels.

2) In the case of no original box, check the sides of the unit, the side panels had unique vibration deadening "mastik" strips that always left marks on the metal case, sometimes only faint enough to see at an angle or in certain light, but present none-the-less. Now granted, if someone removed them when new to fit into a rack, markings generally will be absent. But that would depend how long the unit sat on the self in the back of the store. Remember, the early nineties was a relatively severe recession period here AND in Japan. The exclusive network use to allocate and move inventory around the US channel. Oddly enough, some ES components produced between 88 and 92 never sold, bounced around the channels, went back to Sony and finally found homes in Sony Outlet centers across the states.

One more side note, when ES components did come with side panels, it was a courtesy for Sony to include a set of shorter screws to accomodate buttoning up the unit if the owner chose to "shave the sideburns" so to speak. These screws were philips head with a built in washer like flange surrounding the actual screw head and were coated black in color. If you ever come across a deck with differing screws, someone in the ownership chain removed the panels and couldnt account for the original shorter depth screws.

Or it could indicate that the unit was serviced along the way as well...

By some knucklehead
Old 03-01-2009, 09:58 PM
TapeHeads.Net Member

My two other decks...
IMHO, the JVC is the better of the 2. PB and record both fantastic, no Dolby mistracking. The Denon's playback is equally good, and record is very good also, if Dolby NR is turned off. With Dolby C enabled, it's definitively not as good as the JVC. With the JVC, I particularly like the digital read out of the peak hold and the large Rec level control, which is adequately damped and scaled in 1 db steps, allowing for precise input level adjustment.
Old 03-01-2009, 10:23 PM
BlazeES

Oh yeah!

The JVC digifine units were JVC's "coming of age" considering they had way more expertise and resource investment in VHS, SVHS and DVHS technology at the time.

After the DRM-33HX and DRM-44HX, Denon started to cut corners and get gimicky. No disrespect Bro! Just call em like I see em.

Keep that JVC maintained. It's a keeper dude...and the metering system is awesome.
Old 03-02-2009, 12:18 PM
Serious Tapehead

Quote:
My two other decks...
The Denon's playback is equally good, and record is very good also, if Dolby NR is turned off.
This tells me that the record sensitivity is off. You need to find the pot and adjust the record sensitivity such that there is no audible difference with Dolby and without Dolby in recording mode.

D.
TT: Empire 598, tonearm: Jelco sa750d, cart: Denon DL110, Denon 103R, step-up: CineMag CMQEE 3440A
Old 03-02-2009, 01:11 PM
Serious Tapehead

Stuwee, what a shame you couldn't get that Sony 700 ES. That is a really sweet deck! I recall that back in 1987 when it came out, it held the all-time record with one of the mags here in the UK for their measurement of speed stability and wow & flutter. They rated as one of THE best decks, period. This in the same issue where they reviewed the Nak Dragon, CR-7, and Tandberg 3014!

BlazeES, that's really interesting info on the side panels, thanks. I had always wondered, especially as I have a Hitachi FT-5500MD (FT-007) tuner that seemed never to have had the wood side panels. However, I have seen a couple of others that did have them and the tiny holes are present to take the corresponding screws. The previous owner swore that was exactly how he bought it years previously, so maybe it all makes sense now... I'd really like to have the panels fitted again but the chances of finding a set are slim to nil!
Old 03-02-2009, 01:58 PM
TapeHeads.Net Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimitar Georgiev View Post
This tells me that the record sensitivity is off. You need to find the pot and adjust the record sensitivity such that there is no audible difference with Dolby and without Dolby in recording mode.

D.
Are you talking about the record sensitivity knob that is found in decks such as SONY TC-K707ES or Aiwa AD-F810? This Denon doesn't have that, it only has an output level control when you play it through headphone or speaker. The JVC doesn't have it either, but I literally cannot tell the difference sonically between Dolby off, Dolby B and Dolby C. The tape hiss level is different of course. The Denon just sounds a little muffled when NR is engaged when I monitor recording. Dolby B is somewhat better than Dolby C.
Old 03-02-2009, 09:12 PM
Serious Tapehead

Quote:
Are you talking about the record sensitivity knob that is found in decks such as SONY TC-K707ES or Aiwa AD-F810? This Denon doesn't have that, it only has an output level control when you play it through headphone or speaker. The JVC doesn't have it either, but I literally cannot tell the difference sonically between Dolby off, Dolby B and Dolby C. The tape hiss level is different of course. The Denon just sounds a little muffled when NR is engaged when I monitor recording. Dolby B is somewhat better than Dolby C.
Yes. You will have a pot somewhere on the board with the record amplifier but you need the service manual to identify it. You may have even two such pots - one per channel. Then you mark the current position on the pot and gently tune it until the difference with and without Dolby B/C disappear using the Monitor.

D.
Old 03-17-2009, 10:44 AM
TapeHeads.Net Member

Well, the machine arrived yesterday. It is heavy (about 18 lbs), the footprint is almost square (a little bit narrower than normal, but much more deeper than usual). Cosmetically it is in very good condition, no mark on the face at all. There are some small dings and dents toward the rear of the top cover. These I can deal with.

I immediately put it through paces. Everything works fine except one big problem. One of the main feature of this deck doesn't work: Dolby S. In Dolby S mode, playback produces no signal and record lays no signal down on the tape. This is kind of a weird issue that I have never heard of. When I switched the NR mode to off, B or C, they all work fine in both record and playback. But when I switch to S, I can definitely hear switching happening inside the deck and right away sound is cut off. There is no switching sound between other noise reduction modes, only when switching in and out of Dolby S. Almost seems like the switching is cutting off the signal path when in Dolby S. Anybody ever experienced this sort of symptom?

Other than that the machine works flawlessly. I'll see if I can take some pictures tonight and post them.
Old 03-17-2009, 01:41 PM
Serious Tapehead

In my totally un-technical opinion maybe it is only the Dolby S chip out of sorts and can be replaced as a simple plug in chip? I don't know why it wouldn't still record a music signal just without Dolby S encoding. I'm sure that someone here will be able to give you a true cause.
Old 03-17-2009, 08:08 PM
TapeHeads.Net Member

Some photos:

Old 03-17-2009, 08:14 PM
Serious Tapehead

Super nice deck for a total price of $75 with shipping! I've always been curious about the ABLE system. Tells us how well does this works.

Would you like to see your company or site here?  CONTACT US
For more Tapeheads affiliates and links, see the Links and Resources page.