Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums
High quality analog audio tape for professionals and enthusiasts alike.

Go Back   Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums > Tape, Taping and Tape Machines > Reel To Reel

Reel To Reel All discussions pertaining to reel to reel decks. These include general usage, recording, playback, and service questions. For subjects related to tape itself, see the Open Reel subforum under this one. Obscure service subjects that don't quite fit go in the Help and Do It Yourself subforum.

Donate to Tapeheads!

Old 04-04-2017, 07:16 PM
Serious Tapehead

There ARE a lot of original reel to reels still working!

Keep these posts coming! These are very old pieces of electronics and other then routine lubrication, pinch roller changes, and belt changes, it is amazing how many are still playing well, some even on a regular basis. Anybody noticing any pattern concerning brand names and longevity without major meltdowns, transistor failures, etc.? The real eternal workhorses of reel to reels.......????What about Otaris?
Old 04-05-2017, 03:08 PM
TapeHeads Newbie

I bought my AKAI GX-747dbx from Japan in June of 1984. It's still working well today, aside from the fact the meter lamps are burnt out and the tension arms need new belts and as such "hunt" when no tape is loaded. Deck still records and plays perfectly.
Old 04-05-2017, 09:27 PM
Serious Tapehead

I have a couple old "portable" r2rs.. the one is from 1963. All tubes. All that was done. Is belts. Thats it. Now the stop pads are gone. So hold that reel before stopping it. Now its only a mono deck. But it runs. My sony i got. Has had nothing done to it. But it seems to have no tension on supply reel. Which causes it to eat the tape. And on top of that the spring to enguage the play mode. Pih roller and head/foam pad movement does not work. But if manually applied. Operates just okay. That one is even stereo sound. Transistor amp. No tubes in that one
Old 04-06-2017, 10:25 AM
Serious Tapehead

My Teac X-2000R had a leaky capacitor during it's warranty period when I bought it in 1990. Then 20 years later I had the belts changed out. Other than that, it's been perfect.

My dad's X-10, which he bought new n 1980, which I now have possession of, has only had the belts changed. It's been a perfect machine.
Old 04-06-2017, 11:02 AM
Serious Tapehead

I think the bottom line here is that there is a huge amount of solid state equipment be it tape decks, receivers and amplifiers out there that work just fine without have ever suffered a failure. Perhaps the stuff being made since 2000 will have higher failure rates but the late 60's through the early 90's is almost bullet proof.
Old 04-06-2017, 02:43 PM
Serious Tapehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Lawson View Post
I think the bottom line here is that there is a huge amount of solid state equipment be it tape decks, receivers and amplifiers out there that work just fine without have ever suffered a failure. Perhaps the stuff being made since 2000 will have higher failure rates but the late 60's through the early 90's is almost bullet proof.
Im going to have to dig out that old one.. all tube circuits are 100% original and that works perfectly. Belts slip on low speeds. Only the faster speed works. And occasionally slips. It blew me away that thing still runs as good as it does for a unit made in.. it was either 1963. Or 1967.
Old 04-07-2017, 12:40 AM
Serious Tapehead

It is my understanding that "unrestored" must exclude even the change of belts.
Under "unrestored" must be understood only those servicing actions that are indicated in the user manual, namely the cleaning of heads and tape path including the rollers and, only if mentioned, oiling of bearings.
Old 04-10-2017, 10:01 AM
Serious Tapehead

OK, totally untouched? I was sold an Akai M-8 around 1997 for $20 with 3 tapes. I used it some. One day I got serious and cleaned the tape path and heads and recorded several tapes with it. It not only worked perfectly, it even had an auto stop feature when rewinding and it came to the end of the tape - the FF/RW lever returned to center! I gave this deck to a musician friend to record himself at the piano, drums, guitar, whatever in 2005.

Last I heard it still worked fine. This sucker was full of tubes too.
My System - Harman Kardon A-700 ~ Garrard SL-65 4-Speed Changer ~ Teac A-6300 ~ Teac X1000R ~ TEAC V-95RX cassette deck ~ Harman Kardon HK20 Speakers. I Own: Teac A-4300 ~ Teac A-4070 (x 2) ~ Akai GX-365D ~ Pioneer 1020L ~
Old 04-18-2017, 08:35 AM
TapeHeads Newbie

Reelspin Two stories: Teac X2000R; X1000R

I have a Teac X2000R that I bought new and used extensively until maybe 15 years ago when it developed some problems and my technician had moved away. It sat all that time until I decided to get back into R to R last year. Took it to a technician in Connecticut. It was an ordeal of 4 + months before getting it back. So much for the two week turnaround promised. In the meantime I searched eBay after reading some posts on several sites. I decided on searching for a Teac X1000RBL after reading one technician on this site (Skywave) recommendation that it is generally easier to work on, more reliable than the X2000R. Paid my money, held my breath and received a pristine appearing unit. Turned out it needed some minor work. Tape tension adjustment. Lube. Head alignment. And that was about it. Two week turnaround from Russ at New Jersey Factory Service. Very professional, reasonable rates and he instilled confidence. Russ came with recommendation too from Skywave. A longtime TEAC factory service tech as well. A totally different experience than with the tech in Connecticut who will remain nameless.
Happy to be back into recording and playing my tapes, most of which sound as good as when they were first recorded as much as 30-40+ years ago.
The X1000RBL is my main machine at this point in time. The X200R is relegated to backup.

Would you like to see your company or site here?  CONTACT US
For more Tapeheads affiliates and links, see the Links and Resources page.