Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums
High quality analog audio tape for professionals and enthusiasts alike.

Go Back   Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums > Tape, Taping and Tape Machines > Reel To Reel

Reel To Reel All discussions pertaining to reel to reel decks. These include general usage, recording, playback, and service questions. For subjects related to tape itself, see the Open Reel subforum under this one. Obscure service subjects that don't quite fit go in the Help and Do It Yourself subforum.

Donate to Tapeheads!

Old 12-12-2015, 03:22 PM
Serious Tapehead

The one that does work, however.....

I have another deck, a Teac X-2000R. It does everything right, play, stop, rewind, record (line in and mic). Have not tired the auto reverse.

It does have a couple issues. The main one is that the right spindle assembly is set too far back to the point where the assembly rubs against the front plate of the deck. I can see two set screws on the motor shaft where I can loosen and move the assembly forward. It does not need much maybe a 1/32" or so.

As I was taking the back off the deck I heard something rattling around. Two screws fell out as I removed the cover. Guess where they belong. They are the set screws for the left spindle assembly! This explains the screeching noises from the reel locations.

The question is, how far do I move them forward? Doesn't this effect the alignment of the tape in the tape path as it approaches the tensioners and heads?

Another question on this deck.
I recorded a line in CD the other day. I set the meters a tad hot intentionally though still around 0 db(?). Upon playback the meters showed an output around -10 (db?) or less. I had to really crank the output on the deck and volume on the amp to get to listening pleasure. The sound was still very noticeably better than the blue ray player, my former CD player, and the ripped mp3 (yeah I know 16 bit n all that). Still the tape sounded better than the source. From my experience that is not normal, garbage in, garbage out. Apparently that is not true. Then again it could be bias on my part too.

But the question is how to get a better output or what the heck am I missing here?

Again, thanks in advance for these questions.

Teac X-2000R, Otari MX-5050 BII 2 (x2), Tascam 32-2, Pioneer RT-707, Teac X-700R
Old 12-12-2015, 03:51 PM
Serious Tapehead

Could be dirty heads or the type of tape you used or both.
Most likely dirty heads. Clean them with a Q-tip soaked in alcohol.
Old 12-12-2015, 04:06 PM
Serious Tapehead

The tape is new ATR.
I cleaned the heads. There was not any residue on the either playback and record heads (two each) but the erase heads were filthy. I also cleaned the pinch rollers and capstand (?) roller which keeps sheading black residue on the Qtip. Not sure I got it completely clean.

I still do not have it back together yet as I am waiting to see how far forward to move the spindle units.

Thanks

Teac X-2000R, Otari MX-5050 BII 2 (x2), Tascam 32-2, Pioneer RT-707, Teac X-700R
Old 12-12-2015, 04:11 PM
Serious Tapehead

Do you have other tapes ? Pre-recorded ones ? Do they sound ok ?
Old 12-12-2015, 04:13 PM
Serious Tapehead

Ah, I just found the solution to the reel table adjustment (what I was calling the spindle in the service manual.

It says to put a Teac reel on the reel table with tape and move the table forward will the tape does not rub on the reel. That was the other problem I needed to ask about.

Consider this a lesson learned. The service manuals are worth something.

Thanks

Old 12-12-2015, 04:37 PM
Serious Tapehead

The reel tables should be adjusted so the tape winds onto the reel hubs in a position that is centered between the two reel flanges. If one of the reel tables is secured properly and tape winds onto a reel installed on it correctly, you should be able to set the other reel table to the correct position by measuring the distance between the back side of the reel table and the face plate on the "good side" and adjusting the reel table position on the "bad side" to match. In a pinch I have used index cards to measure and match the gaps.
Old 12-12-2015, 05:07 PM
Rockin' The Suburbs

X-2000R is a worthwhile machine, but a bit of a bear to work on. Unfortunately the design of that deck is, well, inferior to the X-1000R of previous years in many ways.

One gentleman you should have a talk with on this machine is Skywavebe. Once he's done complaining about this model (and rightfully so) he can offer you some real help getting this machine back up to snuff.

Pioneer RT-707, Nakamichi ZX-7 & CR7, Technics SL-220 / Shure V15
McIntosh MC-30, Nakamichi CA5, Klipsch Epic CF-3 speakers
Old 12-12-2015, 05:35 PM
Serious Tapehead

Someone obviously had thing open and did not properly re-assemble it per the rattling lock screws for the left reel table. With both reel tables loose on the motor shafts I loaded a full reel on the left and threaded it to the right. Winding the tape forward by hand I shifted the reel table forward where the tape did not touch the flange at any point in the full rotation of the reel. Once I locked down the right reel I swapped the reels and did the same for the left. Both were way off.

Now that all is reassembled it works perfectly......to my inexperienced self. Starting play no longer jerks the tension arms around. There is no grinding whatsoever, no squeal. Fast forward and reverse function noiselessly except for the wind off the reels. Successful adjustment so far.

I am now recording for real instead of testing. I have cleaned the heads. We will see how this recording works.

I did try a radio station production tape when I first got the deck and yes it was weak. I had to pump the output to about 80% and increase the amp to about 50% to get to a comfortable listening level. At that time I was afraid to kick the output up that much because it was popping like crazy for the first 30 minutes. Since it has stopped that behavior. I understand that this is common on these decks if they have been sitting for awhile.

Old 12-12-2015, 06:34 PM
Jammis Archivivist

The output knob should be set at 3'oclock when recording. You should see less volume difference when recording. My X-700 says "cal".
Old 12-12-2015, 06:46 PM
Serious Tapehead

As Jonny Ramone said, when setup properly for recording the OUTPUT knob should be set and left in the "CAL" position which corresponds to 3 o'clock or "8" on the scale. The LINE input knob should then be used to properly adjust the recording level as indicated on the VU meters.
Old 12-12-2015, 07:24 PM
Serious Tapehead

It all seems to be working smoothly.

Recording with output on cal and input to where VU reads around 0. The deck is no longer popping so I am not afraid of damaging the amp or speakers. I can hear how crappy some of these CDs really are. Not sure if I am wasting my time recording them. I guess it is time to either get the Technics SL-1900 fixed or buy another turntable then start shopping for vinyl.

Old 12-13-2015, 01:06 PM
Serious Tapehead

I have the same deck. The output knob stays at "cal" for me, I only adjust volume on my amp during playback. When I record I use headphones and monitor the tape, adjust that way. On playback the meters do tend to read a bit lower number but the SQ and volume are fine, zero clipping/saturation/distortion, sounds glorious....And I am not using high end tape.
I just posted a video of a my deck and song the OP was asking for, mine is on page 2.

Would you like to see your company or site here?  CONTACT US
For more Tapeheads affiliates and links, see the Links and Resources page.