Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums
High quality analog audio tape for professionals and enthusiasts alike.

Go Back   Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums > General Audio Discussions > Receivers, Amps, and Preamps - Solid-State

Receivers, Amps, and Preamps - Solid-State The heart of every system. Discuss your amps, receivers and control amplifiers here.

Donate to Tapeheads!

Old 02-12-2018, 11:37 AM
TapeHeads Newbie

Quadraflex 969 right channels extremely loud on FM

Hi there, new to the forum, and fairly new to the vintage audio scene in general. I've got a problem that I'm hoping some more knowledgeable guys can help me out with. I picked up a Quadraflex 969 today in very nice shape, was even in the original box. Everything works as it should except for on thing. When playing FM both right channels(Main and Remote) are extremely loud and distorted. The problem does not occur under AM, Phono, Aux 1 or 2, it only happens when FM is selected.

Information on these receivers seems to be scarce, but if anyone has any insight to what could possibly cause this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

EDIT: I discovered that the problem also happenes on all channels when switched to mono, also regardless of input, not just FM. But when switched to stereo the problem exists only in the right channels on FM as I previously said.

Last edited by Rashettee; 02-12-2018 at 02:43 PM.
Old 02-12-2018, 08:16 PM
Serious Tapehead

Hi and Welcome.

Does the volume control have any effect on the sound? Same goes for the tone controls. What doest it sound like when adjusting them?

It sounds like the volume control circuit needs repair, maybe clean the pot, maybe a bad solder joint or faulty pot.

It is possible the control switches need cleaning also.
Old 02-13-2018, 11:46 AM
TapeHeads Newbie

Thanks for the reply, the volume control seems to be working properly, adjusting it doesn't worsen the problem, just makes it louder. The right channel just starts out loud and distorted, even at 10% on the control, it seems around 5x louder the left channel.

I just cleaned all the pots and switches but had no effect.

Would you like to see your company or site here?  CONTACT US
For more Tapeheads affiliates and links, see the Links and Resources page.