Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums
High quality analog audio tape for professionals and enthusiasts alike.

Go Back   Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums > Tape, Taping and Tape Machines > Cassette

Cassette All discussions pertaining to cassette decks. These include general usage, recording, playback and service questions. For subjects related to tape itself, see the Cassette Tape subforum under this one. Obscure service subjects that don't quite fit go in the Help and Do It Yourself subforum.

Donate to Tapeheads!

Old 02-07-2018, 04:21 PM
TapeHeads.Net Member

Sony K679ES

Hey All,

A guy bought me a Sony cassette deck with a capstan motor that squeaks like crazy and freezes up. Is there any hope for fixing the motor or should I see if he wants me to replace it? Side question, it it worth replacing? Also, how would I fix the motor? Would a spray with Deoxit or contact cleaner do any good or just harm?

Thanks
Matt

Last edited by Matt Mincer; 02-07-2018 at 05:31 PM.
Old 02-13-2018, 10:56 AM
TapeHeads.Net Member

K679ES capstan motor

I have one of these decks waiting on the bench for a capstan motor,I did the belts a year or so ago..I was going to use the Pacific Stereo universal capstan motor-it looks to be a fit..The ES decks were really nicely laid out,I cant stand to part with this one over a simple motor.
Old 02-13-2018, 01:03 PM
Todays Tom Sawyer

Most capstan motors are actually a motor within an outer casing. The front bearing is no problem to access but the only way to reach the rear bearing is to remove the outer casing cap, withdraw the inner motor casing, unsolder the regulator board from the motor, then remove the rear cap for the motor to access the rear bearing. Don't forget to hold the brushes out of the way before you try and remove the cap!

A lot of work but it can be done. Of course a new PS UCM is just the ticket to avoid all of that.

Would you like to see your company or site here?  CONTACT US
For more Tapeheads affiliates and links, see the Links and Resources page.