Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums
High quality analog audio tape for professionals and enthusiasts alike.

Go Back   Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums > Tape, Taping and Tape Machines > Cassette > Cassette Tape Media

Cassette Tape Media All aspects of tape itself; quality, characteristics, experiences, use and storage.

Donate to Tapeheads!

Old 01-10-2018, 09:52 PM
Serious Tapehead

Cassette tape loader.

How fast tape speed is in a tape loader!?

Since I have a (pre)recorded cassette which the cutting off point of the tape inside is around 1/3 and 2/3 to the tape ends, I wonder how many seconds delay in the cutting tape off operation can give as a result around seven-eight minutes in tape playtime and what the cause may be. (like a saussage with a narrow point near the middle and flat ends )
The most strange thing is recording is complete, so there must be some consistence in the delay.

Thanks in advance for your time.
Old 02-13-2018, 07:38 AM
Serious Tapehead

Reading the "tape duplication products guide" (pages 55-62), an explanation comes to mind:
A wrong tape loader setting in "blank tape" mode ( tape lenght controlled operation) instead the correct "pre-recorded" mode (cue tone controlled) could happen.

Click in NOVEMBER 1.981 (Sorry, no direct link)http://www.americanradiohistory.com/Studio-Sound.htm

But it is a comedy tape, and the plot becomes an absolute madness; even funniest than original, so it is possible it was a deliberate action...

Last edited by bronco; 02-13-2018 at 07:44 AM.
Old 02-13-2018, 11:14 AM
Skywave Tape Deck Repair

I don't recall the actual speed but the King tape loaders did a lot of tape in one day and that is to say they did not sit around doing things by hand.
The winders would fill a C40 in a couple of seconds. They used precision parts and high speed motors. There may not be a lot of people who know who fast they go in terms of feet per second. Maybe NAC would know but getting info from them I am told is like pulling teeth. Maybe it is on the internet somewhere.

When the loaders are running full tilt it sounds like an air hockey tournament on steroids! Depending on length of program, these machines can load over 700 tapes per hour per machine.
Credit given to this site which contains more info-
http://www.audiodups.com/manufacturing%20tapes.htm

Sam Palermo, BSEE , ProSquad Member
Skywave Tape Deck Repair- Chicago area
(630)616-0932 Office/ Email skywavebe@sbcglobal.net
Past Teac/Tascam Lead Service Technician at Chicago Factory Service, Sony too still doing repairs.
http://s609729863.onlinehome.us/tape...uipment-repair

Last edited by Skywavebe; 02-13-2018 at 11:34 AM.
Old 02-13-2018, 07:13 PM
Serious Tapehead

Thanks Sam, a useful explanation in that link. It seems like 60, 120 and 240 ips were usual speeds in loaders at the time.
Old 02-14-2018, 05:58 AM
TapeHeads.Net Member

On some tapes you can hear part of the cue tone on the very beginning or end; it sounds like a series of pulses. But I too have prerecorded cassettes that don't show any sign of this cue tone on either the beginning or end, either side!

It's also possible that the original program recorded on the cassette wasn't an even length, or couldn't be split at the exact halfway mark without suddenly cutting off the speech/music. I have a few tapes where there is 'dead air' at the end of Side B for several minutes; not uncommon.
Old 02-14-2018, 06:58 AM
TapeHeads.Net Member

Guys I thought some of these tones are intentional at the start of these tapes, as used for que and review when rewinding (like on those shoebox recorders). When in que and review those tones show up
Old 02-14-2018, 09:03 PM
Serious Tapehead

Yes TOM41, the cue tone saying loader "cut here" is present, but only on one side; and there is about one minute of "dead air" at the end of the recording (pause on side A is 20 seconds and one minute more than that on side B).
About the tapes lacking that tones, i think modern loaders could be based on silences instead of tones like AMSS, APSS and the like.(or very early musicassettes recorded "in shell")

Yes mrtape88,the tone lets you release the ff or rew button before reaching the end of tape when in cue mode (i remember myself doing this some time ago on my boombox to avoid the shock at the tape end) but i avoid to use cue mode now because the head wearing is proportional to tape speed.

Would you like to see your company or site here?  CONTACT US
For more Tapeheads affiliates and links, see the Links and Resources page.