Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums
High quality analog audio tape for professionals and enthusiasts alike.

Go Back   Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums > Tape, Taping and Tape Machines > Reel To Reel

Reel To Reel All discussions pertaining to reel to reel decks. These include general usage, recording, playback, and service questions. For subjects related to tape itself, see the Open Reel subforum under this one. Obscure service subjects that don't quite fit go in the Help and Do It Yourself subforum.

Donate to Tapeheads!

Old 12-06-2017, 11:06 PM
TapeHeads.Net Member

did ROBERTS issue signature reels?

Their cousin company AKAI issued several classic metal take up reels back in the day - BUT did the ROBERTS company ever produce any unique "Roberts" metal reels.....??

I prefer the various Roberts logo brandings to the Akai imprints...the Roberts typography being more playful and suitable to the creative production of sound

The closest standard Roberts reel that I've detected is this 4-leaf clover plastic reel that is thrown in with practically every Roberts machine I buy, and is actually one of the more pleasant plastic reels I've personally encountered and used

Old 12-07-2017, 04:42 AM
Serious Tapehead

That is a "AudioTape" reel.
Old 12-07-2017, 07:10 AM
audiophool deluxe

Yes thats an Audiotape brand reel. I've never seen a Roberts branded metal reel but I do have some Roberts branded plastic reels.

Dave
Old 12-07-2017, 01:32 PM
TapeHeads.Net Member

Then I guess practically every Roberts machine I've purchased has come with an AudioTape reel...interesting...

It's strange that Roberts was a popular brand (endorsed by both Lawrence Welk and Fred Astaire!) yet they never cranked out at least one gaudy, limited edition adnonized designer aluminum reel

Roberts must have supplied consumers with at least two plastic reels upon purchase of a home recorder(?) - you wouldn't sell somebody a car without tires - did Roberts even have their own signature PLASTIC reel? It seems likely...and I'm pretty sure I've seen Rheem and Califone custom spoolers
Old 12-07-2017, 02:05 PM
audiophool deluxe

Even if you look at old Roberts reel to reel brochures they all either show them with Roberts 990 4 spoke tape spools or Scotch spools on them.
The Akai plastic spools were similar to the Audiotape spools except they had 2 different size round holes in them.

Dave
Old 12-07-2017, 02:58 PM
Tapeheads Supporter

I don't remember any sort of marketing ethos in the 50s and 60s that made companies feel it necessary to include expensive-to-produce, over engineered accessories to help sell their mainstream products. And even though there was never a reel to reel recorder (other than some small, battery powered portable models) that could be considered a commodity, Roberts products were priced to appeal to a broader clientele of the subset of people who bought stereos.

All of the advertising I remember - and see in old publications from that era - concentrates on the operating features (technical, labor-saving, health-improving, etc...) of whatever product is being sold by said advertising. For the mainstream markets, the products were the products, delivered with the minimum essentials for them to properly operate upon purchase.

I could have a faulty memory here, but my recollection is that metal reels came into fashion as standard accessories with the more expensive 10.5" decks of the 70s, which eventually led to metal take-up reels being included with the accessories with 7" decks and even being manufactured for sale by folks like Radio Shack. I don't recall ever seeing metal take-up reels of any size in stores until the very late 60s when Revox and a couple of other European manufacturers included them with their decks and the Japanese manufacturers followed suit. By then, the Roberts name was long gone.

Last edited by Bob Boyer; 12-07-2017 at 03:01 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 12-07-2017, 03:05 PM
Serious Tapehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ears 4 Sound View Post
Roberts must have supplied consumers with at least two plastic reels upon purchase of a home recorder(?) - you wouldn't sell somebody a car without tires -...
They only had to supply one empty reel. The other reel comes with the tape you buy.
Old 12-07-2017, 03:21 PM
audiophool deluxe

The first Akai that came with a metal take up reel was the X-355. The 345 came with the Akai plastic reel with the round holes.

Dave
Old 12-08-2017, 05:34 AM
RTR FREAK & TH SUPPORTER

I think Bob's reply sums it up - it was the time. Today - so much is about bling bling! Wheels on cars is a huge item these days! Back when these decks were made - buyers just accepted what came with the unit (or car).

Even when 10-1/2" machines trickled into home listening areas, the metal reels were simply accepted as "that's how they come".

It is only with the RTR resurgence that attention is being paid to "designer" reels and hub adaptors! There was zero demand for spun aluminum NAB adaptors in a variety of colors/finishes back when these machines were being sold new!

Many metal reels today are being screened with mfr. logos - makes then look cool - but most of them were not OEM.

CASS: 1/2 DZ
Old 12-08-2017, 05:32 PM
Serious Tapehead

My Teac came with a dark smoked plastic reel that said Teac on it. It was almost identical to the reels mid 70's Ampex used.
Old 12-08-2017, 06:17 PM
Tapeheads Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Lawson View Post
My Teac came with a dark smoked plastic reel that said Teac on it. It was almost identical to the reels mid 70's Ampex used.
Honestly, Lance, the only 7" deck I remember coming packaged with a metal take-up reel was the Pioneer 701/707. There could be others, but I'm not aware of them. Of course, that what happens to your memory when you hit 62...
Old 12-08-2017, 06:29 PM
audiophool deluxe

Again, the Akai X-355 as far as I know was the first to come with a metal reel. Except of course the 1948 Brush Sound Mirror BK401 came with a metal spool also and even recommended not using plastic spools as they could melt/warp from the heat of the motors used.

Dave
Old 12-08-2017, 06:37 PM
Serious Tapehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Boyer View Post
Honestly, Lance, the only 7" deck I remember coming packaged with a metal take-up reel was the Pioneer 701/707. There could be others, but I'm not aware of them. Of course, that what happens to your memory when you hit 62...
Bob the Teac reel was plastic.

Would you like to see your company or site here?  CONTACT US
For more Tapeheads affiliates and links, see the Links and Resources page.