Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums
High quality analog audio tape for professionals and enthusiasts alike.

Go Back   Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums > Tape, Taping and Tape Machines > Reel To Reel > Open Reel Tape Media

Open Reel Tape Media All aspects of tape itself; quality, characteristics, experiences, use and storage.

Donate to Tapeheads!

Old 12-06-2017, 12:07 PM
TapeHeads.Net Member

Barclay-Crocker tapes - static

Just encountered a couple of BC tapes that are highly static-charged - sticks to the reel and itself like glue, well not actually glue. I've run them full length and no shedding or slowing fast wind so not SSS.

We're pretty dry here - use a humidifier to keep it at 30% - but this seems an extreme case.

Any thoughts from the experts?
Old 12-06-2017, 07:24 PM
Unrepentant Reel Addict

I have a pretty decent number of Barclay Crocker tapes, never had that issue. Which ones are giving you trouble?
Old 12-06-2017, 08:39 PM
Serious Tapehead

You could try treating them with some silicone. Try some of those silicone cleaning pads used on guns. I know they DON'T have a lube issue BUT this should dissipate the static. You could also try grounding the frame of the deck while running these tapes to also help dissipate the static.

Static on something like that could be tough.

I DON'T know IF you could use one of those Zero Stat antistatic guns used for LPs OR IF that would also somehow demagnetize the tapes. IF you had one I suggest you make a recording on some blank tape & try it FIRST on that so IF it does erase or do something to the tape you WON'T damage your good prerecorded tapes.
Old 12-07-2017, 02:51 AM
Serious Tapehead

I see static cling with many brands of tape, even the maxell I last ran.
My humidity is 60% and I will see some even this high (low here), seems to be nothing to really worry about.

Would you like to see your company or site here?  CONTACT US
For more Tapeheads affiliates and links, see the Links and Resources page.