Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums
High quality analog audio tape for professionals and enthusiasts alike.

Go Back   Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums > Tape, Taping and Tape Machines > Cassette

Cassette All discussions pertaining to cassette decks. These include general usage, recording, playback and service questions. For subjects related to tape itself, see the Cassette Tape subforum under this one. Obscure service subjects that don't quite fit go in the Help and Do It Yourself subforum.

Donate to Tapeheads!

Old 11-30-2017, 06:48 AM
Serious Tapehead

Would you consider buying a restored 1000ZXL?

Hi all,

I have been toying with the idea of buying a UK fully restored 1000ZXL deck, only toying with the idea as it is quite expensive, but not way out expensive... I would have to forget buying my Records Cleaning machine

Anyway, I have some great decks, and if you had the same decks would you even entertain buying a fully restored 1000ZXL?

I have:

Nakamich: Dragon, ZX7, 681zx, RX202, 700ZXE

Pioneer: CT-A9x, CT-1250M, CT-950,

Studer: A721

Arcam: Delta 100

NAD: 6300

Akai: GX95MK2, GX-9,

Beocord: 9000, 5500

And many others, but these are my best (in my opinion) decks...

Am I going to be underwhelmed?

Is it worth the outlay?

I am going to have to have a mass cull to fund this, and I mean a big cull... which would probably leave me with 2 Pioneer units, ZX7 only, and the Beocord....

Would you do it? or be content with the current herd and stop hankering after something that doesn't really exist...

I am over 50, so my 'Golden Ears' are more 'Iron' like!!

PC
Old 11-30-2017, 06:54 AM
Serious Tapehead

Hi Shaun,

I'm assuming you've your eyes set on Mossfred's 1000ZXL. This deck can be very expensive but it is for a reason. Many people who own them don't want to let go. That said, it's performance is great but you could get almost the same musical satisfaction from other ToTL Naks. I could be wrong but, 1000ZXL and ZX-7 have a very similar sound signature. But if funds are no issue then why not.

Just my thoughts.

Best Regards

Last edited by livin; 11-30-2017 at 07:11 AM.
Old 11-30-2017, 06:56 AM
Lesx55

Shaun

Thatís interesting!!
Hopefully an owner will chime in but you have a few high end decks so I personally feel the difference may not be much

But what the hell ....maybe you should try it and find out for yourself
You can always sell it on if not to your liking
Tape Decks:Nakamichi CR-7/680/Aiwa XK-S9000/Sony TC-K555ESJ/666ES. SACD/P:Sony SCD-1/Marantz KI-Pearl.CDP:Sony 557ES:Power Amps:Sony TA-NR1s: Intergrated Amp:AVI Lab Series S21/ Sony TA-F7 V-fet. Speakers: Castle Howard S2/Sony AMP22Es. Walkmans:Sony WM-DC2/DD33/60 x 3/Toshiba KT-S1/S3/Fiio X3.Portable Amp:Ray Samuels Blackbird SR71A.Headphones:Sony MDR Z7/Sennheiser HD590/Dita The Answer/ Noble X IEM
Old 11-30-2017, 06:59 AM
Serious Tapehead

Sure, I would do it, Shaun. I sold off a few of my premiere vintage components to purchase and have restored my Pioneer SX-1980 receiver. I don't regret it, now, but I sure had reservations at the time of selling those pieces.

Nando.
Old 11-30-2017, 07:00 AM
Serious Tapehead

I had similar thoughts but decided to go for Tandberg TCD 3004.
Never regretted it either,
The gr8 benefit of Nak 1000 zxl is its auto dynamic rec EQ.
I got as a fill in a cheap Aiwa M800 with this feature (4 point) (zxl 1000 5 point) rec EQ.
Old 11-30-2017, 07:05 AM
Serious Tapehead

I'm not sure how much you paid for your ToTL Naks and Pioneer gear. If you sell them all now to fund the 1000ZXL purchase and end up not liking the 1000ZXL then you'd have to spend even more to get the equipment you sold in the first place. If the seller would allow, try the deck in your system first before you cull the heard.

Best Regards
Old 11-30-2017, 07:14 AM
Analogue Addict

The 1000ZXL is the best Nakamichi ever made, my friend has one.
I can only speak from my point of view, I would never buy one even at a knocked down price. The reason I would not buy one is parts availability, I know Bowers & Wilkins UK are reluctant to take them in due to parts availability. My friend had to send his to ESL in America for service, I would not want an expensive un-useable ornament taking up valuable space.
Old 11-30-2017, 07:18 AM
Serious Tapehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by livin View Post
Hi Shaun,

I'm assuming you've your eyes set on Mossfred's 1000ZXL. This deck can be very expensive but it is for a reason. Many people who own them don't want to let go. That said, it's performance is great but you could get almost the same musical satisfaction from other ToTL Naks. I could be wrong but, 1000ZXL and ZX-7 have a very similar sound signature. But if funds are no issue then why not.

Just my thoughts.

Best Regards
Hi there Livin - Spot on! I think I saw this deck at Alex's when he lived in London, and had a lengthy conversation with MossFred at the time... Looks like he has had it all restored...

And nope! I do not have the funds, well, I do sort of as I was hoping to buy the record cleaning machine that I have been saving up for ..... a very long process!

The ZX-7 I own has been fully redone by Alex (A.N.T) hence I will be keeping that unit....

It was just the fact that these appear so rarely, and this one has been re capped and sorted.... But it isn't particularly what i would call a cheap deck

Ho Hum.... Deliberation time

Thank you everyone for your input....

I shall be gnawing my fingers tonight whilst I deliberate!

PC
Old 11-30-2017, 07:36 AM
Serious Tapehead

Hi Shaun,

If it is the one I've restored, and you can agree on price, good. The 1000ZXL is in a class of its own, especially as a recorder.

Cheers

Alex
Old 11-30-2017, 07:56 AM
Serious Tapehead

There you go, Alex restored and certified 1000ZXL, it should perform with no issues. Mine was fully rebuilt last year. It is a terrific recorder( and a PB machine to me) .
Old 11-30-2017, 08:06 AM
Serious Tapehead

Smile

Quote:
I would not want an expensive un-useable ornament taking up valuable space.
Thats what my ex-wife said about me.......

Can't comment on the 1000XL but it must be a hell of a machine to sound better then the machines you own so for me unless it's night and day difference on record/play then no but then again you only live once and people pour £5000 in a betting machine in one afternoon......No help am I.
Old 11-30-2017, 08:11 AM
Serious Tapehead

Reelspin

Hmmmm...

That is probably going to be well into a four figure wedge is it not?

So you already have some of the best sounding and looking decks IMHO.

I personally think it may dissapiont, espescially for the prices I have seen.
If it was me personally I would treat myself and the mrs to a few weeks somewhere nice and warm and then go on a tape and vinyl buying spree on the bay!

Whichever way you go, good luck.

Cheers
G

Played on an ever increasing amount of equipment that just keeps following me home......
Old 11-30-2017, 08:15 AM
Serious Tapehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_OX View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooCool4 View Post
... I would not want an expensive un-useable ornament taking up valuable space.
That's what my ex-wife said about me.......
Yeah, we noticed already the well-deserved ex in her current status
Old 11-30-2017, 09:02 AM
Serious Tapehead

I would consider it but....

1 - It has to be near mint and/or restored or unrestored/untouched by "Hacks"

2 - I would not sell my best decks to fund the purchase. It's kinda like selling all my possessions to buy a 10 carat diamond ring....and have to live in a tent in the woods and eat Ramen Noodles for several years.

3 - While I do "Want" one... what happens when I get one? Where do I go from there? Get two of them? If I eventually buy one it will not cause stress in other parts of my life. If it causes stress (financial, relationship) then much of the joy of owning it would diminish for me.

Only you can answer to yourself "Is this the one", "Is this the right time".

Some things are worth sacrificing for. Some things... are just things.

Good luck. I hope it turns out in a way that is best for you.
Cassette:Pioneer:CT-F800,CT-F850,CT-F950,CT-F1250,CT-A1,CT-A9,CT-A9x,CT-91,T-1100S(CT-95), Phase Linear 7000MKII,CT-9R Sony:TC-K870ES,TC-K890ES,TC-K990ES,TC-KA3ES,TC-K777 NAD: 6300 Akai:GX-95,GX-Z9100 BIC: T-4M Nakamichi:LX-3, LX-5,682ZX,RX-505,CR-7A,ZX-7,ZX-9 (x2),Dragon Revox:B215 & B215-S Yamaha:KX-1200u Teac:Z-6000 & Z-7000 Kenwood:KX-1060 Harman Kardon:CD491 Aiwa: XK-S9000,AD-F660,AD-F990U Tandberg:3014A Onkyo:TA-2600 Eumig:FL-1000 AlpineAL-90 B&O:9000 Technics: RS-B965,RS-B100
Old 11-30-2017, 09:21 AM
Serious Tapehead

I use this philosophy on my purchases: The right one, for the right price, from the right person.

I am sure the deck is in impeccable condition and if this was the deck serviced by Alex, or another reputable technician, the price is going to reflect the other two conditions.

I was going to say: Look at all the space you will free up on your stereo rack after selling three of your decks and slotting in the 1000ZXL. But, the big Nakamichi is going to need lots of breathing room.

Good luck on your ultimate decision, Shaun.

Nando.
Old 11-30-2017, 09:28 AM
Todays Tom Sawyer

As a technician who has worked on a few of these I can tell you its pros and cons and my personal feelings about them.

First, as far as parts availability, it is really no worse than any other classic Nak. Other than cosmetic parts, the only real part that is unique to this deck is the fluorescent display, which BTW, I feel is the best meter ever put on any cassette deck ever. Just about all of the electronic parts can be replaced with new off the shelf items.

The transport is near identical to the one in the 680ZX, plus another sensor on the supply reel, so that's not an issue. The capstan motor is a FG type so if it goes bad, you will be hurting to find another. But if you lose the pitch control feature you can replace it with a standard capstan motor. As far as speed performance, DD decks like the Dragon and ZX-9 will better the ZXL's W+F numbers.

As a playback only machine, I would rate it equally with other top ZX series Naks like ZX-7/9, 680ZX, etc. But as a record machine, it is in a class by itself. The specs for this machine are 20-20k at -20dB with a +/-0.75dB window! Show me a cassette deck with flatter response than that! Going out to +/-3dB as normal machines are rated at and you extend the Freq response to about 12-28k!

For me, I see the biggest problem with this machine being reliability. There are so many cards and so many connectors in the unit. Couple that with 30+ year old wave soldering that is now starting to fail and you have the potential for lots of problems. On the few machines I have worked on, nearly every single electrical problem I had encountered were due to poor or broken solder connections. If you get a tech who is not very knowledgeable about these they can do a LOT of damage. Lifted pads and traces everywhere!

Finally, for me personally, I probably wouldn't own one unless I could get it for a few hundred bucks, which ain't gonna happen! As a tech who fixes his own gear, I buy parts or repair units for dirt cheap and restore them. I can do the same for a ZXL but even as a parts or repair unit, they aren't gonna be sold for less than $1000, which is way too much for me. Secondly, I don't personally care for the gigantic footprint and bulk of the machine, and definitely could do with out the sliders and mic inputs. And the 100% gold plated Limited Edition just isn't my cup of tea! Maybe if you are accustomed to open reel size machines or vacuum tube amps this isn't an issue for you but for me it is. I just don't have that kind of room in my system for a deck of that size.

So bottom line, try it out and see for yourself. You cannot go wrong with a machine that Alex has put his touch on. And you will have ZERO problem selling it for top dollar should you decide to part with it.
Old 11-30-2017, 09:30 AM
Lesx55

Shaun,

Have no regrets!! Buy it or you will always think what if
Tape Decks:Nakamichi CR-7/680/Aiwa XK-S9000/Sony TC-K555ESJ/666ES. SACD/P:Sony SCD-1/Marantz KI-Pearl.CDP:Sony 557ES:Power Amps:Sony TA-NR1s: Intergrated Amp:AVI Lab Series S21/ Sony TA-F7 V-fet. Speakers: Castle Howard S2/Sony AMP22Es. Walkmans:Sony WM-DC2/DD33/60 x 3/Toshiba KT-S1/S3/Fiio X3.Portable Amp:Ray Samuels Blackbird SR71A.Headphones:Sony MDR Z7/Sennheiser HD590/Dita The Answer/ Noble X IEM
Old 11-30-2017, 10:20 AM
Serious Tapehead

Make sure it has been restored by someone appropriately qualified, such as Alex above. Otherwise, be careful. Itís a finicky monster but as has already been said, it is also sonically in a class by itself. I own two - plus Dragons and a ZX-7 amongst others - and as close as they do come to the massive 1000ZXL they donít equal it.
Old 11-30-2017, 10:23 AM
Serious Tapehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckouli View Post
Itís a finicky monster but as has already been said, it is also sonically in a class by itself.
I can personally second these two statements.
Old 11-30-2017, 10:33 AM
Serious Tapehead

I personally would not. I did have a 1000zxl some years ago but it did not sound any better than my 680ZX. Recording, I couldnít really hear any difference from recordings from all my other Naks. No matter, if the specs looked better on paper. Recordings made on my Naks all sound great.

Would you like to see your company or site here?  CONTACT US
For more Tapeheads affiliates and links, see the Links and Resources page.