Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums
High quality analog audio tape for professionals and enthusiasts alike.

Go Back   Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums > Tape, Taping and Tape Machines > Cassette > Cassette Tape Media

Cassette Tape Media All aspects of tape itself; quality, characteristics, experiences, use and storage.

Donate to Tapeheads!

Old 12-05-2017, 08:14 AM
Serious Tapehead

Any love for Agfa

I have a few of these Agfa HR type I and really know nothing about them. Did Agfa make good tapes and are the HR decent?.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20171205_150731878.jpg (54.1 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20171205_150749120.jpg (63.2 KB, 50 views)
Old 12-05-2017, 08:19 AM
Serious Tapehead

AGFA did good things.
Unfortunately, those are not covered by the phrase above. These are relabelled AFAIK, maybe Magna, maybe ORWO.
Old 12-06-2017, 02:24 AM
TapeHeads.Net Member

I am not sure if they are relabeled. Visually, tape looks the same as previous generation (F-DX I).
I also have one of these HR labeled as Maxell UR (Made in Germany). I like this tape.
Old 12-06-2017, 02:40 AM
Dream tape never ends

One would think that film manufacturers such as Konica, Fuji, Agfa, Kodak (?) etc. would also make good tape, but at least in the case of Agfa that was painfully obviously not so, at least their 70s tape, which appeared to be BOTL reject BASF tape or something.
Old 12-06-2017, 02:45 AM
Serious Tapehead

AGFA did a brilliant job in engineering tape.
That's also why some of their tapes have been used unchanged after it's acquisition by BASF.

I do not know what junk tapes surfaced in Greece under the AGFA brand, but surely not genuine if performing so badly.
Old 12-06-2017, 04:06 AM
Dream tape never ends

Mostly these ones, in all possible colors:

Not particularly excited about them -they seem to perform just like your typical 70s "Low Noise" tape, and shedding/dirty as Hell. TBQH, many BASFs of the same era have the same problem.
Old 12-06-2017, 04:12 AM
Serious Tapehead

My opinion as well, any of these pre-70ies tapes were far from HiFi. Irrespective of their provenance, even continent.
Old 12-06-2017, 10:10 AM
Serious Tapehead

AGFA did have a few duds and that's the earlier chrome tapes, prior to the -HD series. Most of them suffer from bad dropouts and are impossible to re-record even on a properly calibrated deck. The other tapes are fine compared to what other manufacturers offered at that time. The Low Noise is early-70s vintage and wasn't exactly an expensive tape even then so hardly surprising it doesn't perform up to 1990s expectations. AGFA usually ran their own tape, although like all manufaturers they occasionally sourced tape and/or shells elsewhere, particularly during plant restructurings. I believe during model changes AGFA occasionally sourced tape from BASF and shells from several manufacturers but that's about it. There are two budget tapes from Korea (green LNS and "Roscata") but they're fairly decent ferrics too.
Old 12-06-2017, 10:21 AM
Serious Tapehead

Smile

The real AGFA type 1 are great tapes, no Dolby and you are away.....
Old 12-06-2017, 10:23 AM
Serious Tapehead

To my knowledge, AGFA only outsourced tape after 1990.
Outsourcing is the beginning of the end of any company - one saves costs at the expense of quality, and the reduced quality causes a reduced income, and so on ...
Old 12-06-2017, 11:19 PM
Serious Tapehead

According to AGFABASF they were made in 1991, does this mean they were outsourced?.
Old 12-07-2017, 12:29 AM
Serious Tapehead

Most probably Magna or ORWO, not bad, but inline with most basic ferrics of that time, like the Maxell UR of nowadays.
Old 12-07-2017, 01:28 AM
Some of the gear, still no idea.

I've got a few of the Agfa Stereo-Chrom and they are exactly as RagnarAT says - basically unusable, big shedding, lots of dropouts and about a 4dB drop between recording and playback. Neither my Yammy or Pio can auto-calibrate them successfully.

They look nice in a retro-kind of way though. I have three of them on my office xmas tree...
Old 12-07-2017, 05:01 AM
Serious Tapehead

The Agfa HR as shown in #1 is 100 % genuine Agfa. No Magna or Orwo involved there. These are among the best standard grade type I cassettes you can find. No "superferric", but still good, very durable (no railroading, shedding or other issues) and long term stable. The tape inside is the Agfa formulation PE 649 (for C-60) or PE 949 (for C90). All Agfa Ferrocolor HD, LNX, F-DX I and HR had basically the same tape and I'd recommend to use them with confidence.

The Agfa Low Noise pictured in #6 has a Permaton shell, but probably Agfa tape inside. Yes, that was a basic formulation from the 70's. Nothing spectacular indeed, but besides the need to clean the heads after each pass, they make no trouble.

Cheers
Martin
Old 12-07-2017, 05:44 AM
Serious Tapehead

Wasn't it the tape wich was loaded into the BASF Ferro Extra, after BASF took over AGFA in 1991?
Old 12-07-2017, 07:11 AM
Serious Tapehead

Smile

Lots of love here for Philips FE-1 as well........
Old 12-07-2017, 08:01 AM
Serious Tapehead

@ Oli: Yes, the Agfa 649/949 tape was continued under the BASF Magnetics flag. For some years, until 1994-ish, it could be found in the models Ferro Standard I, Ferro Extra I and Sound I, before they created a new formulation which combined the advantages of Agfa 649/949 and BASF's LH-D type. That newer formulation can be distinguished by its darker colour.

I am not really sure, but I think it's possible that the tape which ECP made was a close relative to the Agfa 649/949, too. That way, it came back into BASF cassettes again around 1995-97: There are some FE I from that period which came in a slightly modified Agfa shell, factory code 56, in Agfa design storage box and without any "Made in..." inscription. These were made by ECP.

To make it even more complicated: The Agfa tape was only one of a neat variety of formulations which you could find in the BASF type I cassettes during the early-mid 90's. Here is what I have seen so far:

- Some still had BASF's LH-D tape. Especially C-100, probably because the old Agfa factory in Munich only coated down to C-90 thickness foils by that time.
- Many had the Agfa PE 649/949 tape.
- C-120's had a variation of LH-D with smaller pigments; that tape is actually closer to the Ferro Super I.
- Those which were made in Indonesia have a tape with characteristics similar to BASF LH-D, but still different.
- Some were made in Singapore by General Magnetics; they have a tape which is yet to be identified; similarities towards the tape which was used for That's RX cassettes are not impossible.
- The ones that state Made in Korea (sold in the USA and in Canada) have the cheapest Saehan tape, which is clearly inferior to the Agfa and BASF tapes, but still usable.

@ Red Ox: When they were new, Philips FE-I actually worked fine. Unfortunately I have had some of them squealing during recent years, so I can't rely on them as a long term stable tape any more. This applies to the original Philips version (made in Belgium). Later Philips FE-I were made by SKC, and they are indeed working fine until today.

Cheers
Martin
Old 12-07-2017, 09:23 AM
Serious Tapehead

Thanks Martin!

Is there a quick way to tell if it is the Agfa or BASF tape in FE ExtraI from 1991-94? ...and is 45 the code for Indonesia?

Oli
Old 12-07-2017, 06:41 PM
TapeHeads.Net Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirunavaara View Post

@ Red Ox: When they were new, Philips FE-I actually worked fine. Unfortunately I have had some of them squealing during recent years, so I can't rely on them as a long term stable tape any more. This applies to the original Philips version (made in Belgium). Later Philips FE-I were made by SKC, and they are indeed working fine until today.
I think this tapes squeal because a lack of lubing in roller's shaft (not a true scrape flutter issue).
I usually solve this with a (two) tiny drop of silicon oil.

Last edited by bronco; 12-07-2017 at 06:46 PM. Reason: spelling

Would you like to see your company or site here?  CONTACT US
For more Tapeheads affiliates and links, see the Links and Resources page.