Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums
High quality analog audio tape for professionals and enthusiasts alike.

Go Back   Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums > Tape, Taping and Tape Machines > Cassette

Cassette All discussions pertaining to cassette decks. These include general usage, recording, playback and service questions. For subjects related to tape itself, see the Cassette Tape subforum under this one. Obscure service subjects that don't quite fit go in the Help and Do It Yourself subforum.

Donate to Tapeheads!

Old 12-06-2017, 08:58 AM
Serious Tapehead

If its ~the same price I would take the one from Fred.

1.) Alex work can not be competed with any service technician I know. He is a class of its own. He is developing this stuff ?

2.) transport is much easier in GB. I would drive 1000km to handle it with the care which is needed. Imagine you get it damaged from holland ?

Easy as that.....
Old 12-06-2017, 09:08 AM
Serious Tapehead

Hi Lucky,

If Alex had worked on this deck, then i would have been all over it But alas he hasn't!

I know that Fred has a number of these decks.

I know that he used my tech (Peter Dolman) to do a fix on this deck, and i trust Peter.

I have just dropped Fred an e-mail....

My daughter is driving to London tomorrow!!

All good advice

I am very worried about shipping....

Thanks Lucky

Shaun
Old 12-06-2017, 09:29 AM
Serious Tapehead

.. If it is your technician, he knows what he's doing for shure.
Old 12-06-2017, 10:34 PM
Serious Tapehead

Well, good luck and let me know what you're shifting. I don't own a good Pioneer deck and would like one.

Peter
Old 12-06-2017, 11:08 PM
Serious Tapehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by pioneercollector View Post
Hi Marco,

Roughly, where is Norman based in Holland? I like coffee
A town/village called Kampen...
That is a bit north east of Holland, still quit a drive from the Ferry, but hey, this will be the one and only time you will ever drive so far to get something for a lifetime...

There is a saying here: What you get from far is always good (although I've done that once with a car which I dont want to remembered of )

Tapedecks: Nakamichi 1000 ZXL, 480 & 480Z, High-Com II, NR-200, Sony 55ES DAT
Turntables: C.E.C. ST-930, Jelco 750D, van den Hul MC One Special / SL-1200MKII, Audioquest PT-6, Audio Technica AT-ML150/OCC / Densen DP-Drive, DP-04 @ MC - DP-Drive Imp. DP-04 @ MM
Amplifiers: Ensemble Virtuoso pre - Corifeo Power
Speakers : Martin Logan Arius i

Old 12-07-2017, 12:14 AM
Todays Tom Sawyer

All of the advice you are getting about hand transporting this yourself is more than valid. On top of the usual peril of sending anything delicate, the 1000ZXL is its own worst enemy when it comes to shipping. It is a very large and heavy deck with lots of cards and connectors that don't like to be flexed and stressed more than necessary. All of those board to board connections are weak points in the design and can be real headaches when they start going intermittent.

If there is any way you can hand carry it, I would highly recommend doing so.
Old 12-07-2017, 01:22 AM
Serious Tapehead

You're looking at 500 miles one way, and possibly a hotel stayover. This is going to be a hell of an expensive deck.

Maybe I should offer my services as a transportation service
Old 12-07-2017, 05:03 AM
Serious Tapehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by landiepete View Post
Maybe I should offer my services as a transportation service
Many did before you, one of the main reasons for the advise NOT to hand it over to a transport service

Tapedecks: Nakamichi 1000 ZXL, 480 & 480Z, High-Com II, NR-200, Sony 55ES DAT
Turntables: C.E.C. ST-930, Jelco 750D, van den Hul MC One Special / SL-1200MKII, Audioquest PT-6, Audio Technica AT-ML150/OCC / Densen DP-Drive, DP-04 @ MC - DP-Drive Imp. DP-04 @ MM
Amplifiers: Ensemble Virtuoso pre - Corifeo Power
Speakers : Martin Logan Arius i

Old 12-07-2017, 05:32 AM
Serious Tapehead

Just make pick-up information thread. There a many people here who are living on the street.
Old 12-07-2017, 08:33 AM
aka The Tape Man

Reelspin

Transportation for these decks is very delicate issue. Willy restored one of my 700 ZXE and it was shipped back again due to some strange behaviour. Even after coming back again, I have to do some things "un-aligned" in transit. That's why he avoids to work on these specific models.

Anyway, I'm happy with my (2) 700 ZXE after selling my 1000 ZXL, the Limited and a 700 ZXL years ago. As I said: never go back there again.

Regards!

El Magnifico "live and let live"
Visit: http://mortechpr.wix.com/cassetteadventures
Old 12-07-2017, 08:46 AM
Serious Tapehead

I have this issues with "simple" NAD's two header, differrent customer, different shipping, different countrys = same issues. Cost me much money...

Cassette bay was always "a little off" a real curious fault.
Old 12-07-2017, 09:14 AM
Serious Tapehead

OK - Mr PC has his listening ears on!

I am not going to have the 1000ZXL shipped! Far too risky, and the stress waiting for it is too much..... Damn

I will think of a B Plan....

Thank you for all of your advice, much appreciated

PC
Old 12-07-2017, 10:50 AM
Serious Tapehead

So how were these originally shupped from the Land of the Rising Sun ? Litter ?
Old 12-07-2017, 11:01 AM
Serious Tapehead

In original box to the Nakamichi retailer who checks it. I have a few original, like for my Revox or my pio 1250 whch can be treated with 100kg on top.
Old 12-08-2017, 05:25 AM
aka The Tape Man

Reelspin

Quote:
Originally Posted by landiepete View Post
So how were these originally shipped from the Land of the Rising Sun ? Litter ?
Yes, by boat or air on a pallet from Tokyo, Japan to Torrance, CA or to New York before that. The packages for these components are scientifically developed for that and to avoid shipping damages. When you ask Willy Herman the safer packaging for the decks, he always said "the original". Since most of these boxes are already old, you may need to double box it.

The original packing of the ZXL series was superb and double box...and you have to see that of the old 1000 and 700 as well. I remember when you ship the Revoxes to Elm Hill Pike in Nashville, TN (Revox America). If your original carton was in bad shape, they automatically replaced it with a new one at no cost. It happened to me twice.

Regards.

El Magnifico "live and let live"
Visit: http://mortechpr.wix.com/cassetteadventures

Would you like to see your company or site here?  CONTACT US
For more Tapeheads affiliates and links, see the Links and Resources page.