Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums
High quality analog audio tape for professionals and enthusiasts alike.

Go Back   Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums > Tape, Taping and Tape Machines > Cassette

Cassette All discussions pertaining to cassette decks. These include general usage, recording, playback and service questions. For subjects related to tape itself, see the Cassette Tape subforum under this one. Obscure service subjects that don't quite fit go in the Help and Do It Yourself subforum.

Donate to Tapeheads!

Old 10-17-2017, 09:31 AM
Serious Tapehead

Sources for Nak idler tires

I need an idler tire for the Dragon I'm working on, as well as one for a BX-1. What are people's current preferences for where to source these? Jeff at ESL says he no longer sells the Dragon tire, but can provide for the BX-1. The other options seem to be Marrs and an ebay seller in Belarus.
Old 10-17-2017, 01:34 PM
Serious Tapehead

I'd be looking at Marrs...
Old 10-17-2017, 03:19 PM
Serious Tapehead

Marrs is definitely good for belts, but I don't know if his idler tires are held in the same esteem.
Old 10-17-2017, 06:09 PM
Serious Tapehead

MARRS is one source. Some of the Nak techs use tires from MCM Electronics but I don't know the part # or which transports this is used for (Classic or Sanko).

They will chime in sooner or later.
Old 10-17-2017, 11:50 PM
Todays Tom Sawyer

I have been using MCM for the Sankyo tires but Sam just told me today that Newark bought MCM and none of the MCM part numbers are coming up on Newarks site. I have not checked this out yet myself but guess I'll have to find a new source.

For the standard transports, aka the "classic" like the ones in the 480/580/680 etc, on advice from Perry, I have been using the RED STAR series from Dynamtechgroup.com. They work extremely well and are a little bit softer than the black rubber ones so grip very well. I do sand them a bit first and wash them with soap and water before installing. Perry says not to use alcohol on them or they will squeal for a while. So I haven't used alcohol and they don't squeal.
Old 10-18-2017, 03:52 AM
Serious Tapehead

Newark & MCM have been an "In One" company for quite some time & tied at the hip. Same parent company so to speak for a few years now.

That said I don't know if some consolidation has been going on recently.
Old 10-19-2017, 12:10 PM
Serious Tapehead

Thanks Dan. So just a light sanding of the red star, wash, and then install?

I've also read good things about the tires sold by Dean Sanborn, though I don't see any of his listings on ebay. Is he out of this business?
Old 10-19-2017, 04:38 PM
TapeHeads.Net Member

Yes, they "strengthened their partnership" oficially on October 1st, when mcmelectronics.com went offline. They sent out emails in September mentioning that instead of moving all the inventory from MCM to Newark they'd rather liquidate it. You can still locate some idler tires on the Newark website, but they show as "out of stock" and "no longer manufactured".

For what it's worth, the idler tires of interest were MCM part #'s 32-710 (Sankyo) and 32-5665 (classic). They used to sell them very cheap, the last ones I ordered from them where $1.76 a piece.

I also tried the Red Star ones but they did not work well for me. It hasn't occurred to me to sand them. I'll try next time, I still have a few.
Old 10-19-2017, 07:59 PM
Nakamichi Spoken Here

Dean hasn't had any tires for a year or 2 now. Too bad, I liked them a lot. The Red Star tires are worthless without sanding. They are too slick, from I presume, mold release. I use 600 grit on the sides and the drive edge, and on the drive edge always sand while rotating the tire already mounted to the hub, to hold its shape. Once sanded, I have no complains about them so far, except that the brass hub and reel tables must be clean of oil and grease, or the tire picks it all up and you will hear it.. Do NOT polish the brass, simply clean with a good head cleaner. It is not a great tire to use on the nylon armed units (Dragon is metal) as the traction will drag the tire right off the table and on to the clutch without some form of mod to prevent the arm from bending.

I'll look for the MCM tires too. Man, at that price I would have ordered 200!

Last edited by perry; 10-19-2017 at 08:02 PM.
Old 10-19-2017, 08:54 PM
Serious Tapehead

Thanks Perry. I may try the Red Star. But this has gotten me wondering: Wasn't there ever a PRB tire that fit the Dragon and other classic Nak transports?
Old 10-19-2017, 09:36 PM
Serious Tapehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by calijente View Post
Yes, they "strengthened their partnership" oficially on October 1st, when mcmelectronics.com went offline. They sent out emails in September mentioning that instead of moving all the inventory from MCM to Newark they'd rather liquidate it. You can still locate some idler tires on the Newark website, but they show as "out of stock" and "no longer manufactured".

That is interesting because yesterday I went to the MCM website & it was STILL there & NO indication that it was shutting down, at least not plastered all over their main page.

It is a shame & sad abt the liquidating and consolidation but understandable. Only time will tell as to what items will not be available after the further consolidation that we all use/need.

I did notice an outrageously over price on a can of DeOxit D5 that should be at least half of what they have it listed for.
Old 10-19-2017, 11:49 PM
Serious Tapehead

I didn't find it too...
If you find it, put the entire link here ;)
Old 10-20-2017, 12:19 AM
Serious Tapehead

OK I see what happened. When I searched for MCM Electronics I clicked on the link given which was MCM Electronics and showed the MCM web address. After clicking on that link it redirected me to http://www.newark.com/mcm-partnershi...irect-catchall I didn't realize or pay attention that it redirected me to the link I just posted.

I did not pay attention to the address, today when I looked at the address I saw the Newark in the address along with MCM.
Old 10-20-2017, 08:34 AM
Nakamichi Spoken Here

No PBR CAPSTAN belts work properly on Naks. This has been studied to death. The other belts are fine.
Old 10-20-2017, 09:00 AM
Serious Tapehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by perry View Post
No PBR CAPSTAN belts work properly on Naks. This has been studied to death. The other belts are fine.
I'm aware of the PRB belts not cutting it. I was wondering about the PRB idler tire.
Old 10-20-2017, 11:21 AM
Serious Tapehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by perry View Post
Dean hasn't had any tires for a year or 2 now. Too bad, I liked them a lot. The Red Star tires are worthless without sanding. They are too slick, from I presume, mold release. I use 600 grit on the sides and the drive edge, and on the drive edge always sand while rotating the tire already mounted to the hub, to hold its shape. Once sanded, I have no complains about them so far, except that the brass hub and reel tables must be clean of oil and grease, or the tire picks it all up and you will hear it.. Do NOT polish the brass, simply clean with a good head cleaner. It is not a great tire to use on the nylon armed units (Dragon is metal) as the traction will drag the tire right off the table and on to the clutch without some form of mod to prevent the arm from bending.

I'll look for the MCM tires too. Man, at that price I would have ordered 200!
I didn't knew that Dean was out of business, too bad his classic tires were excellent and the size was perfect.
I've never tried to sand the Red Star tires, that's why I've had bad experiences with them and I only have decks with nylon arms.
Old 10-20-2017, 12:24 PM
TapeHeads Newbie

http://www.vintage-electronics.net

I bought a BX-300 kit from here not too long ago

Looks like he sells the dragon idler as well
Old 10-20-2017, 12:40 PM
Serious Tapehead

I considered vintage-electronics, but I read one post where a TH Dragon owner said his idler tire from them broke within two years of installation.
Old 10-20-2017, 02:29 PM
Highly Biased

Marrs Communications has the classic idler in stock for $6.
Old 10-20-2017, 06:17 PM
Serious Tapehead

Well IF you are having problems with a New Tire grabbing even after a sanding you can always try some automotive Prestone Belt Dressing or similar. When applied you will need to run the FF & RW till the propellant flashes off & the product tacks up. Depending on the transport you may need to fake out the sensors to make it think there is a tape installed so the RW & FF don't keep kicking out. A couple applications using a Q-Tip may be needed.

NOTE: This will also work on an old tire but is a temp fix with unknown length of service till reapplication or new tire is needed.

Would you like to see your company or site here?  CONTACT US
For more Tapeheads affiliates and links, see the Links and Resources page.