Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums
Universal Capstan Motor

Go Back   Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums > General Audio Discussions > Scores, Woulda-Coulda-Shoulda and Tall Tales

Scores, Woulda-Coulda-Shoulda and Tall Tales Big scores and other bar stories. Get something you've been wanting for 20 years? Find something on sale for 90% off? In the right place at the right time? Miss that elusive piece? Tell us about your sweet finds and epic fails.

Donate to Tapeheads!

Old 09-09-2017, 10:23 AM
Serious Tapehead

What I found...

Last year, my Panasonic 8 track player stopped working. I started looking for a new one.

Found a Marantz at a pawnshop. The guy there figured that since it was a Marantz, it must be worth a lot of money and wouldn't come down on the price of 120 dollars. I considered it, but decided that it would be stupid to spend that much on an 8 track player.

Stopped at a rummage sale yesterday that was advertising vintage electronics. Nothing much of interest, except this Marantz 8 track player. Guy wanted 20 bucks for it and said that it had been in his lake house stereo until the day before. I bought it and took it home.

I have attached a picture of it. Seems to work. Only thing I have not tested is the recording features. Don't have any blanks.

marantz.jpg
Old 09-09-2017, 08:15 PM
Tape Cassette Abuser

that looks mad dope!!! Oh man, good score! Glad you didn't take the $120 one eh!
Old 09-10-2017, 11:40 PM
TapeHeads.Net Member

In my experience, it does sometimes pay off to wait for a better deal...your new Marantz looks good and shiny

It's funny, until recently I never knew that there are/were recordable 8-track home units for regular people...I only knew about pre-recorded cartridges...
learn something new every day
Old 09-12-2017, 06:47 AM
Analog nut!

I have this same model - TDR-830. The 820 was the same without Dolby NR. I got mine at a local flea market a couple years ago for $15. Well worth what you paid for it! Playback is great. I've done a couple of recordings on mine, one with a Maxell LN and another with an Ampex tape (not sure of the model) and I didn't like the quality of either. I've yet to try some of the other blanks I have such as BASF Soundloop, Capitol, Tracs, Memorex, Scotch Highlander, Supertape Some other Ampex, etc. Perhaps I just haven't tried the right tape yet. I'd like to try some TDK D, AD, and Maxell UD at some point in life.
Jesus Christ is the ONLY way to Heaven! (Acts 4:12)

*Fuji, Memorex, TDK spoken here* Cass: JVC KD-V6, Nakamichi CR-1A, Technics RS-B57R; TT: Realistic Lab 290 w/ stock Shure cart; R2R: AKAI X-1800SD

Last edited by RockSolid87; 09-12-2017 at 06:52 AM.
Old 09-13-2017, 10:13 AM
Serious Tapehead

Nice score! I've found some cool stuff in junk/pawn shops but they seem to think everything is made of gold and charge way too much.

Would you like to see your company or site here?  CONTACT US
For more Tapeheads affiliates and links, see the Links and Resources page.