Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums
Universal Capstan Motor

Go Back   Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums > Non Audio Discussions > The Lounge

The Lounge The place to cool your heels and engage in small talk about whatever suits your interest. No politics or religion, please.

Donate to Tapeheads!

Old 06-16-2017, 04:47 PM
Serious Tapehead

One way if you don't mind tieing up you line for a bit. Answer the call and make some reason to excuse your self like making them think you are going to get say your credit card and then not return to the phone for like 15 to 30 min. Thus WASTEING their time. Odds are good they will have hung up & will never call back.
Old 06-17-2017, 04:08 AM
Serious Tapehead

We should not have to do things like this, our providers should ID these and block them from their service. It is a plague on the system as well as us! And further, I can get a free smart phone on many street corners with free to almost free service, why should I pay for a service I dont like, even if it is the cheaper one (CC)?

I used to pull this one, talk about anything, the weather, fishing, last nights dinner, anything just keep them on the line. They will eventually catch on and hang up. I had one ask if I was just trying to keep him on the line, I admitted it, Click!

But about half the calls I am getting ring 3 times, sometimes just once, another is back to back 3 calls each ring 3 times. I do not call back!
Old 06-17-2017, 05:13 AM
Dream tape never ends

Quote:
Originally Posted by 390FE View Post
One way if you don't mind tieing up you line for a bit. Answer the call...
That's actually something you should never do with telemarketers or spammers: by answering you confirm that this phone number of e-mail is in fact used by a real, living person (that is ALWAYS one of the goals of such calls), and you just "strengthen" its position in their lists. Furthermore, they will almost certainly pass this information on to their affiliates, and you will just draw even more "fire" upon yourself.

If your phone has a blacklisting feature (which basically auto-hangs up on specific numbers), that's the best defense I found so far. I don't even get notified of blocked calls unless I go looking for them, and they hit an apparent brickwall, forcing them to change number or go anonymous (which you might be blocking anyway). Doubtful they'd do that just to get through to your number specifically.
Old 06-17-2017, 05:22 AM
Serious Tapehead

The "non listing" scheme does not work always. Telephone companies will sell them anyway. I am speaking from experience. Yours may vary (or you did not notice).
Old 06-17-2017, 05:35 AM
Dream tape never ends

It's hard to say how much of the non-compliance with non-listing scheme is due to the telephone company, and how much is due to information that is already out and circulating.

Even if the phone company complies 100% themselves, how much are they responsible for "third parties" that already have lists of numbers and simply perpetually "recycle" them among themselves? Who checks them for compliance? And new "third parties' may emerge every day, and new & old lists get endlessly passed on, called for verification etc.

It's kinda like trying to erase some specific information from the Internet: in the broadest sense of the word, you cannot: there will always be a reference or a copy somewhere, and there's no "bloodhound" tasked with shutting them all down. If you're the NSA or CIA of course you might put on a decent fight towards that goal, but as a private citizen, forget it.
Old 06-17-2017, 12:16 PM
Serious Tapehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velktron View Post
That's actually something you should never do with telemarketers or spammers: by answering you confirm that this phone number of e-mail is in fact used by a real, living person (that is ALWAYS one of the goals of such calls), and you just "strengthen" its position in their lists. Furthermore, they will almost certainly pass this information on to their affiliates, and you will just draw even more "fire" upon yourself.

If your phone has a blacklisting feature (which basically auto-hangs up on specific numbers), that's the best defense I found so far. I don't even get notified of blocked calls unless I go looking for them, and they hit an apparent brickwall, forcing them to change number or go anonymous (which you might be blocking anyway). Doubtful they'd do that just to get through to your number specifically.
I'm talking abt a land line phone. We don't have caller ID so don't know who is calling and don't have any fancy blocking functions. Thing is they hate it if you WASTE their time, do it enough and they will black list your # and not call back.

My cell phone if I don't recognise the # I don't answer. I will look it up later and if it was someone I know I would call back. Otherwise I ignore it and may post the # on one of those scam call list sites. I have turned off the data on my cell phone (I don't text & I have a stupid phone with NO GPS) and unless I am going to be using it I leave it off.

Last edited by 390FE; 06-17-2017 at 12:24 PM.
Old 06-29-2017, 05:53 PM
Banned

Screw with them a bit. Turn it into free phone sex. I do that all the time. You know, "what are you wearing", "oh baby... do you like kielbasa or foot-long franks", ask if you can use their product for "self-stimulation" in the bath, make various sensual moaning noises, etc. You usually get a good 10 minutes or so of humor.

Try it during election season when the bible-thumping righties start calling. Usually gets a hangup pretty quick!
Old 06-29-2017, 06:11 PM
Serious Tapehead

...and if it's not the bible-thumping righties ...............ya might just make a new friend
Old 07-01-2017, 07:38 AM
Ol Skool

I always pretend to go along with it and try to keep them on the phone for as long as possible before I tell them to go f*** themselves. The more time I can get them to waste on me the less stupid people they will get to fall for their garbage.
Old 09-12-2017, 04:34 PM
Serious Tapehead

I tried a similar version of yours Nightowl except they left a msg stating the IRS is on to me and have alerted the authorities in my area to arrest me and lock my assets / accounts. Okay, the call came from Or, I'm in VA...hmmm.
Next day, I called the number they left and when answered, I turned myself in saying I got a call from the IRS and wanted to return the call so I can settle my outstanding balance...do you accept credit cards? We do but I'll need your Phone number to apply the amount to the right person so you will be cleared. Great! my number for you is long distance so it is 1 - GO F**K YOURSELF.

I guess he did and it felt better than conversing with me as he hasn't called back
John
Old 09-12-2017, 05:37 PM
8-Trashed..........

I used to get scam calls a lot on the landline at work. One time it was a dude with a very heavy Indian accent telling me my PC had a virus, so I asked him "what OS am I using?" He said windows blah blah blah, I said "wrong, I'm running OSX Tiger" (dinosaur luxo lamp imac). He got pissed and hung up. Now that our number has changed and we really only get professional calls, I'm not allowed to answer the phone

/__\
Old 09-13-2017, 02:34 AM
Serious Tapehead

The amount of calls I get dropped off a bit, then started after hours calls and Saturday. The latest numbers have a "+" in front of them, what does that mean? I dont answer anyway,,,,
Old 09-13-2017, 04:29 AM
Serious Tapehead

Think that is international.

Would you like to see your company or site here?  CONTACT US
For more Tapeheads affiliates and links, see the Links and Resources page.