Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums
High quality analog audio tape for professionals and enthusiasts alike.

Go Back   Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums > Tape, Taping and Tape Machines > Cassette > STICKY - Cassette Decks and Tapes

STICKY - Cassette Decks and Tapes This section is full of helpful posts. Repair, how-to, techniques, tutorials.

Donate to Tapeheads!

Old 08-30-2017, 08:53 AM
Todays Tom Sawyer

Not only are they similar, as far as the transport goes, they are identical. The MR-1 is the pro-version of the BX-300 so primarily the difference is the addition of the XLR and 1/4" I/O jacks, in lieu of the typical RCA jacks. The MR-1 also has an external NR loop for additional NR boxes such as dbx or other processing schemes. There are minor differences too like pitch control instead of bias tune, front panel input jacks instead of a fader, etc.

Inside, the MR-1 is a rats nest!
Old 08-31-2017, 11:19 AM
TapeHeads.Net Member

I had opened mine today since reading that applying some oil to the cam motor fixes the playback-start/stopping issues. I would have liked to removed this area although like you said its like a jungle in there. It appears that spraying some oil into those few holes on the motor fixed my issue.

I expect that you took those pictures more for your own remainder for where everything goes. I noticed my MR-1 has a drive "flywheel"? rather than that which requires a idler tire. I think this is correct and is the revised version?
Old 08-31-2017, 01:09 PM
Todays Tom Sawyer

Start, stop issue is a reel motor problem, the one at the top in the middle, not the cam motor, the one on the side. Cam motor problems manifest themselves as the whole transport locking up and not doing anything, often having the tape stuck and eject not possible because the head block is raised in the up position.

Regardless of terminology, spraying contact cleaner in the reel motor is a temporary solution. It will eventually reoccur. The real fix is to either recondition the commutator and clean the brushes or better, replace the motor.

If you have the gear idler instead of the rubber idler tire then yes, you have a later version. I prefer the gear drive over the tire due to zero maintenance, even though W+F MAY be slightly higher. The rubber tire is relatively easy to change but it doesn't last too long, only a few years, compared to the standard transport idler tire which can last decades.
Old 09-08-2017, 01:24 PM
8-Trashed..........

Lately my Nak BX-300 just stops while playing a tape, I replaced the belt/idler a few years ago (Marrs kit). Is my reel motor toast? (it seems to FF/REW okay but struggles sometimes). This deck has a got a lot of use, visible wear on the heads, buttons, etc.

/__\
Old 09-08-2017, 01:28 PM
Repair Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_rye89 View Post
Lately my Nak BX-300 just stops while playing a tape, I replaced the belt/idler a few years ago (Marrs kit). Is my reel motor toast? (it seems to FF/REW okay but struggles sometimes). This deck has a got a lot of use, visible wear on the heads, buttons, etc.
May be the idler tire (not the motor). Try resurfacing the idler tire with sandpaper.

Would you like to see your company or site here?  CONTACT US
For more Tapeheads affiliates and links, see the Links and Resources page.