Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums
High quality analog audio tape for professionals and enthusiasts alike.

Go Back   Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums > Tape, Taping and Tape Machines > Cassette > STICKY - Cassette Decks and Tapes

STICKY - Cassette Decks and Tapes This section is full of helpful posts. Repair, how-to, techniques, tutorials.

Donate to Tapeheads!

Old 05-29-2009, 08:06 PM
Cassetticus Maximus

Head Height Adjustment Cassette - An Easy DIY'er

I copied this section out of a vintage Sony SM, but the procedure is applicable to just about any typical mechanism. The head height adjustment cassette is simply a good, clear-bodied cassette shell with a few areas trimmed away to allow better viewing. Also in the procedure is a guide to adjustments on this 3-head mechanism in order to eliminate tape curl.

Making one takes about 15 minutes with any cheap ol' clear shell toss-out.

Enjoy!

Head View Cassette.jpg

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.

Last edited by Scorpion8; 05-29-2009 at 08:11 PM.
Old 05-29-2009, 08:58 PM
I'm fanatic about recording with a magnet!

Thanks for posting this!

JT
Power: Yamaha A-510 & R-8, Stereotech 1200 |Tuner: Sansui TU-217 | Speakers: Tannoy Proto-J, JBL L80T, Infinity RS-1|
Old 05-29-2009, 10:20 PM
BlazeES

Very cool posting. It's gems like this that will build up and make this site a goldmine.

Old 06-01-2009, 06:13 AM
Total Tape Nut

Yep Gunna warm up the dremmel when I get a few minutes spare on a wet weekend
Thanks Jim...Great stuff
Old 08-21-2009, 08:22 PM
TapeHeads.Net Member

hi all,
i saw this post and it brought back a re-occuring nightmare for me. the drawing is from (or the same as) a TCK81 SM, i had ocasion to replace some damaged parts on this machine, this meant removing the heads and block.

i looked at this drawing in the SM and did not give removal a second thought, looks straightfoward enough thinks i, takes the whole lot out. replaced the parts alls well until i have to set up the heads, prepare the tape with cut outs. (great idea).

Then low and behold the assembly particularly the head block has changed shape sometime in the production run. and that critical measurment of 9.1mm and 16.1 mm did not hold true on my particular machine.
i had a devil of a job to get the adjustments right. i wish i had measured the distance before hand, manuals are not always correct are they, lesson learned.
i since have seen a few of these machines all have the head block as the manual, trust me to get an oddball
Old 08-21-2009, 11:01 PM
Cassetticus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by burbeck View Post
i since have seen a few of these machines all have the head block as the manual, trust me to get an oddball
Perhaps it was a TC-K75, the pre-cursor to the TC-K81. They looked identical except for the power switch, and I've seen two different versions of the power switch on these. The -K75 also had F&F heads instead of the better S&F heads.

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.
Old 08-22-2009, 04:05 AM
TapeHeads.Net Member

was definatly a TCK 81, i still have the machine.

regards
bob
Old 08-22-2009, 02:44 PM
Cassetticus Maximus

In case anyone wants to see how simple it is to make one of these, I made two while tracing a tape-curl issue. Each one took ~10 minutes from start-to-finish. I used the cleanest clear cassettes I could find, in this case a new Maxell UR and a Memorex dBS so I could see thru the tape shells at the inner workings. I used a Dremel tool with cut-off wheel, but a small knife/X-acto would work fine also.

When you're just learning about tape decks, these are quick and easy projects and fun to watch the inner mechanisms at work.

-and -

Would you like to see your company or site here?  CONTACT US
For more Tapeheads affiliates and links, see the Links and Resources page.