Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums
High quality analog audio tape for professionals and enthusiasts alike.

Go Back   Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums > General Audio Discussions > Complete Systems

Complete Systems Is the whole greater than the sum of the parts? Hash the details out here.

Donate to Tapeheads!

Old 01-06-2018, 11:46 AM
TapeHeads.Net Member

Panasonic SU-CH40 deck problems

So i bought recently Panasonic two-part stereo for casually listening and recording. Everything works well except (guess what...) tape deck.
Previous owner claim that he don't used tape section for more than 10 years.
When i bought it tape section was very dirty. After carefully cleaning as much as i can pinchrollers, capstans and heads i still notice some problems:

1. When it plays a tape i can hear clicking. It doesn't affect sound but i wonder why it click. It happening in both wells and i can feel it by touch the tape well.

2. I can't play in "left" direction. In one well sometimes started playing and play.
In the other one it chew the tape inside the mechanism instantly.

3. One of pinchrollers have something white on them. I use isopropanol to clean pinchrollers and i can't clean it.

4. It have problems with winding in both directions. Sometimes it wind, sometimes not at all and sometimes stop in the mid of tape.

I think for second and fourth problem i just need new belts. But what to do with the rest? Also, i looked trough the ventilation holes and i don't even see tape mechanism, just big PCB. I don't really know how to change the belts in this. Im afraid to damage something because it seems very precise and there are so many elements (its amplifer and tape deck in one piece).

Not a technical question but why i can't change equalizer effect when recording?

Would you like to see your company or site here?  CONTACT US
For more Tapeheads affiliates and links, see the Links and Resources page.