Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums
High quality analog audio tape for professionals and enthusiasts alike.

Go Back   Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums > Tape, Taping and Tape Machines > Ones and Zeroes

Ones and Zeroes Digital tape is still tape! Want to discuss DAT, DCC and blank media? This is the place.

Donate to Tapeheads!

Old 04-23-2012, 12:03 PM
Miami Space Transit Planetarium 11/1966-8/2015

ripping cd's to FLAC

just started using EAC, exact audio copy. it works great for ripping cd's to FLAC which is loss-less and its free.

after hearing how the FLAC files are practically exact audio copies of standard cd tracks but smaller, i'm making the move on my digital collection to all FLAC files. my record and tape rips will continue in WAV format.

the software works quite well.
Old 04-23-2012, 12:20 PM
TapeHeads.Net Member

why not vinyl/tape to FLAC as well?
Old 04-23-2012, 01:09 PM
Serious Tapehead

EAC works quite well, it can even check to see if the song was copied correctly (it does so by calculating a checksum and checking it in an online database).

Also, you can think of FLAC as a .wav in a .zip or .rar archive. The same way .zip can make a document smaller without distorting it, .flac can make .wav smaller without distorting it. The only difference between .flac and .zip is that .flac is optimized for audio files instead of documents and can be played as is (as opposed to extracting the original file and then playing it).
R2R: Akai GX636, Электроника-004, Revox A77, Юпитер МК-106С, Снежеть-301, National RQ-115, Uher 4400 IC, Aidas 9M, АСТРА 110С - Cassette: Technics RS-BX646, Sony WM-D6C, Marantz PMD430, Sony WM-EX606 - VHS: Siemens FM739 (SVHS), Sharp VC-MH704, Panasonic AG-7330 (SVHS) - Radio: Latvija M, Leak Troughline Stereo, Siemens B8 - Record player: Technics SL-D20, JVC L-E5 - LD: Pioneer CLD-2850 - MD: Sony MZ-RH1 - Amp: Denon PMA-1080R, Hitachi HA-37 - Other: dbx 224, 400xg, 3bx-ds 500char limit is here
Old 04-23-2012, 02:07 PM
Site Supporter

I converted my CD collection to FLAC last year.
Started with EAC but wound up springing for dbPoweramp.
Tried Audacity but it hung up too much.
Works faster and my rips seem to be more consistent.
My tape and vinyl gets converted to FLAC using Vinyl Studio.
Good luck in your efforts,once you rip everything to your hard drive its like having your own personal jukebox.
Old 04-23-2012, 02:38 PM
audiophool deluxe

I've been using EAC for many years and ripped over 1500 CD's to FLAC so far. If you are on a Mac then MAX works really well for ripping CD's to F:AC also. Its like EAC only not as much set up and tweaking.

Dave
Old 04-23-2012, 03:59 PM
Aiwa

I've done all CD with dbpoweramp.
Now i'm starting with cassettes, but i have hundreds of cassettes
After this i will do vinyls.

I only keep my own personal music as Wav, because it is easy to open it in different softwares to edit.

I also i have downloaded Flacs. I feed a little FM transmitter with all my files and can have my own radio in the appartement. Bet my neighbours could hear it too.
I have to much music, i plan to buy a new hard disk.
Old 04-23-2012, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbs View Post
why not vinyl/tape to FLAC as well?
because having them as WAV means less to process when i go back and save cleaned up copies of the original.
Old 04-23-2012, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowtone View Post
I feed a little FM transmitter with all my files and can have my own radio in the appartement. Bet my neighbours could hear it too.
I have to much music, i plan to buy a new hard disk.
i did that also. my little transmitter covered 5 miles. the FCC guys weren't too amused.
im up to 100gigs of mp3. time to transition to something better. bummer is all my little media players wont play FLAC. i'll have to buy a new FLAC portable.
Old 04-24-2012, 03:33 AM
TapeHeads.Net Member

http://www.audiograbber.org/ (free) works well for me, for CD backups.

I then use http://www.wavosaur.com/ (free WAV editor) to top-n-tail each track to remove wasted silences from the start and end. It's the quickest freebie WAV editor I've found, I can do a track in seconds with more-or-less just the mouse scroll wheel (zooms into/out the track) and the space bar. And a fade is one button click on the menu bar (not nested in the menus as with other editors). All my tracks start almost instantly - I leave only about 1/10th second space at the start. Sometimes the CD track markers are wrong and I need to graft the end of one track onto the start of another - Wavosaur works well for this too. Tracks that run into each other get separated and I also make a version for safekeeping where they still run into each other as one long WAV.

Windows 7 makes entering the track names easier - press Tab when you've renamed a filename and it moves to the next one for you (something XP didn't do).

For recording analogue via the soundcard direct-to-disk I use shareware http://www.delback.co.uk/wavrep/ because I had problems with long tracks using other software - if there was a problem I lost the whole recording, but Wave Repair records directly to a file which is present on the disk even if the PC hangs while recording so something is usually salvageable.

I then drag and drop the completed tracks into http://www.dors.de/razorlame/screenshots.php (free) to encode to MP3, and finally archive into FLAC to save space using http://members.home.nl/w.speek/flac.htm (free). You can play FLAC with VLC, too.

In the meantime, I sometimes produce edited versions of tracks with annoying parts (removing irritating raps, etc), removing whole bars that were making the track too longwinded, making repetitive tracks more likeable, or extending short ones. For this http://audacity.sourceforge.net/ (free) can be good, but mostly I used an old (paid for) copy of WaveLab which makes editing so much easier than any freebie I've found yet. Much better user interface.

Audacity is good for basic multi-tracking, I've used it to synch up a vocal version of a track with the vocal-less version, and swap from one to the other to remove some unsuitable lyrics. But WaveLab allows log fades rather then linear, allows me to whizz around a track with single mouse clicks rather than stop/move/start, has a 'piano reel' guide to the track at a different zoom level than the main work area, and allows whizzing about while keeping an area selected, making loops easier to sort out.

It's nice to have my own versions of certain songs, where the edits are seemless. Sometime a track fades in slowly and it's annoying in the car where I want my Shuffle mode to start each track instantly - so my edited in-car versions work well there. I also take the chance to boost any tracks with weak bass, or tame any with harsh midrange/treble, while I'm processing the CD
The sound quality of rock/pop/etc varies wildly IMHO, I wish there was a decent way to compare that sort of thing!

Tip : If the section you want to remove loops perfectly, chances are almost certain that deleting it will leave things flowing perfectly too

Last edited by 80s-Teen; 04-24-2012 at 03:44 AM.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:56 AM

i've been using audacity for years and feel pretty comfortable with it. EAC seems to be working well for FLAC. i wonder if i can get audacity to save to FLAC? anybody tried that?
Old 04-24-2012, 09:51 AM
audiophool deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ke4mcl View Post
i've been using audacity for years and feel pretty comfortable with it. EAC seems to be working well for FLAC. i wonder if i can get audacity to save to FLAC? anybody tried that?
I do it all the time when I rip reel to reel stuff. You simply select "Export" and select flac and fill in the title etc...

Dave
Old 04-24-2012, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInVA View Post
I do it all the time when I rip reel to reel stuff. You simply select "Export" and select flac and fill in the title etc...

Dave
i dont recall seeing that option. i'll check on that. thanks!

Would you like to see your company or site here?  CONTACT US
For more Tapeheads affiliates and links, see the Links and Resources page.