Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums
High quality analog audio tape for professionals and enthusiasts alike.

Go Back   Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums > Tape, Taping and Tape Machines > Reel To Reel

Reel To Reel All discussions pertaining to reel to reel decks. These include general usage, recording, playback, and service questions. For subjects related to tape itself, see the Open Reel subforum under this one. Obscure service subjects that don't quite fit go in the Help and Do It Yourself subforum.

Donate to Tapeheads!

Old 11-14-2017, 11:32 AM
Coffee isnīt my cup of tea.

TEAC X-2000r worth getting?

Hello!

I have the chance to buy a TEAC X-2000r for what equals 600usd.
The deck has been stored in itīs original box for 25 years and havenīt seen use since it was put into storage.

So, worth buying?
Of course there would be some (or a lot) maintenance needed.

Thanks//
Mattias
Sony TC-377
Akai GX-220D
Tandberg Model 82 (paperweight, doorstop, ornament)

Sold:
Akai 4000DS MKII
Sony TC-252
Old 11-14-2017, 12:17 PM
Live Long and Prosper..

If your a DIY guy with some real open reel repair experience, know a tech well enough to trust that he has the experience and tools to properly service an X10000R/X2000R, your the kind of person that doesn't mind spending what might seem a ridiculous amount of money to others, to have the deck restored to reliable mechanical condition and sound good. If the answer is yes to both, by all means, pull the trigger. If it has everything included, manuals, paperwork, boxes, all original packing, reels NAB adapters, cables other accessories, and is in perfect physical shape, 600$ is about the limit I would pay.

Be prepared to invest at minimum that much again, before you can begin to rely on the deck enough to use and enjoy it regularly. Sam is the man to ask about X2000R's, he knows them better than even he'd like to admit, I'm sure.

I service X1000R and X2000R's , have a silver X1000R here and a black X2000R coming in the next couple weeks, or so. If it was me, unless there is something about the X2000R you crave and must have, I'd spend my $$$ on the X1000R, in similar condition, for the same or a tad more $$. In the long run, you will spend far less with the X1000R, and your wallet will the the fuller for it. Having owned and serviced both, I'll say only this, I still have my X1000R after well over 25 years. My X2000R was bought at the same time as the X1000R new from JR Music World, .. the same X2000R has been gone since 2012, about a year after joining Tapeheads and learning I wasn't alone with issues I was having with the X2000R, and the issues wouldn't be stopping any time soon.

Ultimately, my X2000R and Tapeheads lead me to start my own business to service other peoples audio gear, reel to reel's, etc. I couldn't trust anyone I know to service my gear any longer, and the cost of repair, let alone shipping was ever increasing. I might yet acquire another X2000R , but for a low price, 2/3 or less of what you are looking at paying. Knowing what I know now, I can do the work myself, the maintenance, and deal with hassles along the way, only out time and parts cost. If you own more than one machine that you can use when the other one is down, it helps considerably. YEMV however.

All around, the X1000R is a much better machine, and others will likely post to tell you why.

Last edited by macman007; 11-14-2017 at 12:31 PM.
Old 11-14-2017, 12:26 PM
Serious Tapehead

I like the Akai GX-747 better.
Old 11-14-2017, 12:45 PM

Thanks for a good thorough guidance.

I was hoping to bargain a bit, but thereīs many interested so the seller wouldnīt drop the price at all.
No NABīs and reels

I do most servicing myself, but adjusting the heads for azimuth etc is way over my level.

Thereīs also a X-10 for sale for half the price, is that something to consider?
The market for RTR-decks isnīt that big here, havenīt seen any X1000Rīs for sale in over a year.
Sony TC-377
Akai GX-220D

Sold:
Akai 4000DS MKII
Sony TC-252
Old 11-14-2017, 04:41 PM
RTR FREAK & TH SUPPORTER

Good luck! I've had a X-2000R for quite some time now with minimal issues although certainly not the most robust of machines! Purely a consumer-grade machine. The X-10 is about on a par with build quality. The X-2000 does make nice tapes when it is on point, however.

Oh - and yes - I think many of us have a Tandberg paperweight/door stopper! LOL!

CASS: 1/2 DZ
Old 11-14-2017, 06:36 PM
Skywave Tape Deck Repair

I have worked on a few GX747 and they are not at all the equal of the Teac product and that is if you can find one with unused heads. There are those goofy tension arm belts and gears- it was really a design made to make repairs guys a lot of money but don't worry about me I won't even take them in.
One guy I know found a unused one and after two weeks of polishing and work got it to work pretty good. Most of the units out there have seen many hours and NO the heads do not last forever- those that believe that never really test them and they are living in the dream world.

The X2000R will need a new capstan belt and maybe some oiling and that but it should come back to life if the heads have little wear on them. If the Pinch rollers do not go up by themselves or are sticky then that will be your first task to resolve. They do not like sitting in boxes.
It is not my first choice of deck to own.

Sam Palermo, BSEE , ProSquad Member
Skywave Tape Deck Repair- Chicago area
(630)616-0932 Office/ Email skywavebe@sbcglobal.net
Past Teac/Tascam Lead Service Technician at Chicago Factory Service still doing repairs.
http://s609729863.onlinehome.us/tape...uipment-repair
Now accepting MC, Visa, Amex & Discover Cards!
Old 11-15-2017, 06:43 AM
Boy's bright, but he don't allways listen!

Sam actually has a sticky on this deck at the top called " X2000R skew problem resolved".

I have never worked on one of these decks but have enough knowledge to say yes, as Sam pointed out decks don't like to sit in boxes.

The Akai head problem can be set straight but takes a lot of work. That is IF the cores arn't cracked. I will make an assumption, from my own research, that core cracking was resolved by the time the 747 came out. But yeah, I never liked the tension arm thing myself, never messed with one though in all fairness.

$600 is a steep price for a deck of "unknown 25 year box quality". If you could get them to let you audition it then maybe. BUT I would assume this is impractical.

Need a Teac recapped? Heads installed? I do that! Contact me thru a PM.
Old 11-15-2017, 09:50 AM
Skywave Tape Deck Repair

You can show the owner that the Pinch roller do not go up and down normally to get the price reduced maybe. The decks usually cost about $300 to fix but my rates are due to change the first of the year as I have been low balling the repair labor figures for far too long and now have to come up to everybodies' else rate. I am not getting rich over here and there are times it looks worse than that.
Most Technicians really put in 1 or more hours more than the billing shows due to
paperwork or additional repairs that were not first noticed.

Sam Palermo, BSEE , ProSquad Member
Skywave Tape Deck Repair- Chicago area
(630)616-0932 Office/ Email skywavebe@sbcglobal.net
Past Teac/Tascam Lead Service Technician at Chicago Factory Service still doing repairs.
http://s609729863.onlinehome.us/tape...uipment-repair
Now accepting MC, Visa, Amex & Discover Cards!
Old Yesterday, 01:57 PM

I ended up buying a pretty nice Revox B77 instead
Thanks for the information!
Sony TC-377
Akai GX-220D

Sold:
Akai 4000DS MKII
Sony TC-252
Old Yesterday, 04:35 PM
Live Long and Prosper..

Congratulations on acquiring the B77, it's a really nice deck. It's essentially the same as a PR99. You should attend to these caps Revox used. The X2 Rifa's are original small Gold rectangular shaped with RIFA printed on them. I always replace them immediately before I put a unit with them into service, especially if it's been a while since it's seen regular service. They are well known to short and explode with age.

Other larger Frako and Rifa caps, Radial or Axial, for instance those used as filter caps in the power supply, many here will replace right off the bat. These aren't quite as critical as the X2 high voltage caps, but are still important, as are those on the capstan motor board. There are a few Tantalums here and there many folks recommend changing out as well. Once electrically stable, I would put it the deck service, then do a complete assessment , mechanically and electrically, regarding any necessary maintenance or repair/restoration work.

These decks are service friendly, with PC boards that plug in to mother boards. You will need to take great care in performing any service that requires soldering the boards. The metal traces easily overheat and lift at the pads. A decent temperature adjustable solder station is essential. A rework station is also helpful before starting a major re-cap job. Even the experienced guys recommend using them on these Studer/Revox units.

Plenty of information here on Tapeheads regarding the B77 and just about any scenario regarding them. Enjoy!

Would you like to see your company or site here?  CONTACT US
For more Tapeheads affiliates and links, see the Links and Resources page.