Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums
High quality analog audio tape for professionals and enthusiasts alike.

Go Back   Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums > Tape, Taping and Tape Machines > Cassette

Cassette All discussions pertaining to cassette decks. These include general usage, recording, playback and service questions. For subjects related to tape itself, see the Cassette Tape subforum under this one. Obscure service subjects that don't quite fit go in the Help and Do It Yourself subforum.

Donate to Tapeheads!

Old 11-13-2017, 05:11 PM
Serious Tapehead

Pioneer Elite CT-07D

Hi all,

I acquired this Pioneer Elite CT-07D cassette deck a month ago. I purchased it after viewing a craigslist ad and I was the first respondent. The seller was a great guy to deal with. He made time in his work day to demo the deck for me, as I had travelled about 1.25 hours to reach his place. He also had a number of cassettes that came with the deck, and one tape he had recorded, specifically, using the same deck to demonstrate its recording capability. He knew a lot about the refinements of this model of deck. I had already read in the forum about the virtues of this deck praised by a particular long-time member, Lutz (lucky).

The seller was the second owner and I received an accounting of what he remembered of the history of the deck before he owned it. Funny thing is, I almost bought one when it was still being sold by Pioneer back in 2000. About 11 years ago, when I had purchased my Pioneer CT-F650 and Akai GX-F31 from a seller who had an Elite AV system, he had the Elite CT-07D cassette deck. I wasn't convinced back then when he told me how good the deck was and that was the biggest reason he was getting rid of his older cassette decks. I imagine I am about to find out what others have already known.

I will pop up more details, later.

Nando.
Old 11-13-2017, 08:53 PM
Serious Audio Nut/TapeHeads Member & Supporter

Great score Nando!

It looks like a nice deck indeed, I hope it performs to your likings!

Regards,
Steve
RTR- TC-880-2, GX-400D-SS, 747, 747dbx CASS Dragon, 1000ZXL, TC K7II, TC K8B (X2), TA-2066 TABLES - PX-2, PF1000 ELCASET - EL-5 (X2) and EL-7, MAG LOAD RCA 1YB-11 COND- Pro 7000 REC. SX-1980, QRX9001, QSD 1, HDVD PRE AMPS - CA-7x2 8-TRK - CR-80D-SS, GXR-82D, CR-81D, MDS -MDS JA555ES DCC - DD-92, DCC900 DAT - DTS-2000ES, DTC-700 VHS - VCR-953 LD - CLD-99 CD - DCD-1015, SACD - SCD 777ES SPKRS - B&W 800, SP5500 PHONES - HD-600, HD-800, Bose QC3, QH-44 REC CLNR Nitty Gritty Mini Pro-2
Old 11-14-2017, 05:00 AM
Serious Tapehead

Great find Nando! Looking forward to hearing how it performs.

I too have been watching Lucky's comments, and hopefully will have the single well version sourced soon

Nice!

Shaun
Old 11-14-2017, 07:36 AM
Serious Tapehead

Thanks Steve, Shaun. It will most likely be the weekend before I give it a few passes in recording. I have a few recent mix tapes I received from Dan and Shaun that get first playback on the new deck. I played both tapes on my other decks, so I'm familiar with how both sounded. It will be a good test as both mix tapes were recorded without NR.

Nando.
Old 11-14-2017, 07:56 AM
Serious Tapehead

Congrats dude, a rare find these days...the prices in ebay rising as usual when we talk about it at TH.

Here is my hissfree digital bin copy station at work:

Last edited by lucky; 11-14-2017 at 08:02 AM.
Old 11-14-2017, 10:01 AM
Serious Tapehead

I owned one of these brand new in like '99-'00. The BLE works great but the thing I loved is how I could play tapes made from CD's (I always had cassette in my car back then), and burn them to CD, and the digital noise reduction worked so well, the CD burner would automatically increment the tracks.
Old 11-14-2017, 10:11 AM
Serious Tapehead

Indeed the recording abilities can be compared with digital bins. The analog head amp starts just behind the complete digital recording/EQ/dehiss/Legato Link Conversion processing.

Just played the copy of my Supertramp-Famous Last Words (just made↑). And you could only know how well this decks recording, if you play it back in a Revox,ZX9,Dragon,CR7,XK009,6300,Pio1250,RX505,ASC 3001 and so on. Its not only the absence of the usual copy hiss, its the fantastic dynamic and power you can preserve. Not to talk about the frequency range, its flat from 20-20Khz and IEC conform, thats why it sound good in EVERY deck.

Last edited by lucky; 11-14-2017 at 10:45 AM.
Old 11-14-2017, 11:22 AM
Serious Tapehead

However, one can notice the noise gate on very low level sounds, eg with classic music. A tiny disadvantage compared to the huge advantages it has.
Old 11-14-2017, 03:58 PM
Highly Biased

I sold one last year. The owner remarked just today that the deck makes pre-recorded cassettes sound tremendous.
Old 11-15-2017, 05:04 AM
Serious Tapehead

The Roll Off from the Legato Link Conversion is well seen in the plots of my 670D.

Quote:
Hi-bit Legato Link Conversion
The "Hi-bit Legato Link Conversion" technology applied in the PDR-D7 combines Pioneer developed bit expansion technology with Legato Link for still better musical reproduction. In process of recording and mastering a CD, lower-level signals --- signals lower than least significant bit of a CD's 16-bit system --- are removed. But, the absence of low-level signals causes quantization noise, resulting in a stepped waveform of converted analog signals --- proof that reproduced sound is quite unlike the original. "Hi-bit Legato Link Conversion" restores the lost signals by computing the original waveform from 16-bit data stored on the CD and performing re-quantization in expanded 20-bit data form. This conversion process results in a waveform that is both smoother and closer to the original than conventional technology allows. And Legato Link provides the additional benefit of extending the frequency response to 20kHz to ensure more accurate sound reproduction.

Last edited by lucky; 11-15-2017 at 05:07 AM.
Old 11-15-2017, 10:44 AM
Serious Tapehead

Out of this thréad I make some comparsions (playback only) between my digital Pios and the rest today...and in playback the 806DR(CT-07D) shows always this extraordinary audiophile touch. The one and only double well between Dragon, CR7,ZX9,Revox and so on...I dont know how, but Pioneer has done it, its real.

This "breathing" and "melting" of voices sound like adding an "Aural Exciter" which makes the stage wide and the sound so nice. Welcome to the show...

PS: and no, its not sounding like the original but who cares ?

Last edited by lucky; 11-15-2017 at 11:06 AM.
Old 11-15-2017, 07:04 PM
Serious Tapehead

Thanks for those members adding comments because of all the Pioneer Elite cassette decks, I didn't see myself getting one of these first.

Most times, dual-well decks get a bad rap. I have a couple of them, now, and I have my Sony TC-WR97ES patched into my AV rack for the living room home entertainment system.

I will post a few scans taken of the features and a brief explanation of how each of them work from the CT-07D OM.

Here are a couple of uncropped screenshots of the original advertisement on craigslist:

Nando.
Old Yesterday, 09:21 AM
Serious Tapehead

...not much to ad in the advertisement... Usually its nothing to calibrate because there are no aging trim pots inside. Only speed was always to low in my digital Pios. Not to forget that azimuth can be always a tiny bit improved, but this Pio turning heads are very reliable.

My 806 at work :

The sound is unbelievable good and better then the single well 3header CT-S670D. Just my personal oppinion.

Last edited by lucky; Yesterday at 10:03 AM.
Old Yesterday, 07:40 PM
Serious Tapehead

Thanks for posting all the photos, Lutz. I have been a long time fan of Pioneer components, but it was your opinion(s) which led me to act fast in picking up the CT-07D.

I haven't seen too many CT-07D decks come up for sale, but now that I have one, I find myself scoping out current sales - not because I want another one, but just to gauge how the valuation will proceed. You just know where it's going to go, now.

Nando.

Would you like to see your company or site here?  CONTACT US
For more Tapeheads affiliates and links, see the Links and Resources page.