Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums
High quality analog audio tape for professionals and enthusiasts alike.

Go Back   Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums > General Audio Discussions > Receivers, Amps, and Preamps - Solid-State

Receivers, Amps, and Preamps - Solid-State The heart of every system. Discuss your amps, receivers and control amplifiers here.

Donate to Tapeheads!

Old 11-14-2017, 10:19 AM
TapeHeads.Net Member

Kenwood KA-550D Amp Volume control

Hi All,

I've picked up a Kenwood KA-550D amplifier which I intend to use in a basic system in my office.

Before I start moving things around and start setting everything up I wonder if someone can help on the following, just in case its faulty.

On the volume control there is a separate rear rotating knob, which appears to be a balance control, just out of the top of pic it reads left right.
There is no separate balance control on this amp.

When I rotate the volume control, the rear knob also travels with it, both knobs are quite stiff, but they can be rotated independently.

If it's a balance control I would have thought it would have stayed in position.

Online manuals just refer to it as a volume control.

(I have another Kenwood amp which also has this rear knob, which remains in position but doesn't seem to affect volume, but it does have a balance control).

If anyone can advise before I start lugging stuff around it would be great.

The obvious thing for me to do is set it up and check it, but I'm trying to avoid that to save disruption.

Thanks All.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kenwood.jpg (49.9 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by Tangled; 11-14-2017 at 10:41 AM.
Old 11-14-2017, 11:09 AM
Turn it up!

It is the balance control, and it has simply stiffened with age/dirt/oxidation. Deoxit 5, followed by Deoxit FaderLube will solve your problem. You will need to open the case to get to the ganged pots. In other words, they use a single shaft to control both the balance and volume pots. Cleaning and lubricating the pots will loosen things up and allow the balance to work independently from the volume.

Last edited by kcbluesman; 11-14-2017 at 11:12 AM.
Old 11-14-2017, 11:56 AM
Serious Tapehead

You haven't posted a usefull picture but the answer is easy.
That's a volume knob with separate left and right channel adjustment on the same axis (as printed above the knob).
In this case you have no separate balance control you adjust left and right channels independently if necesary.

Last edited by NEMOaudio; 11-14-2017 at 12:04 PM.
Old 11-15-2017, 12:37 AM
TapeHeads.Net Member

Many Thanks Both,

I thought it was the separate balance control, just checking in case it was something more sophisticated. Will give it a good cleaning.

I

Last edited by Tangled; 11-15-2017 at 01:08 AM.
Old 11-15-2017, 01:54 AM
Serious Tapehead

Remember that they have to turn together even if you're holding only one of the rings.
You only need cleaning if it's noisy.

Last edited by NEMOaudio; 11-15-2017 at 02:34 AM.
Old 11-15-2017, 03:02 AM
TapeHeads.Net Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEMOaudio View Post
Remember that they have to turn together even if you're holding only one of the rings.
You only need cleaning if it's noisy.
So, when I rotate the volume control knob, the rear balance control should travel with it and not stay in position?

(I should really do a quick rig up)
Old 11-15-2017, 07:59 AM
Turn it up!

The volume knob is supposed to turn independently from the balance knob. I dont know what nemo is talking about. Cleaning (deoxit) and lubricating (faderlube) will definitely help the two to turn independently more easily.
Old 11-15-2017, 08:22 AM
Sendust for brains

What's happened is that the grease in the shaft and sleeve assembly has turned gummy and the one shaft is now also turning the inner sleeve because of the adhesion. Usually, the naphtha in the D5 will work on the coagulated grease if you can get some in down the shaft. After it breaks loose, put ONE tiny drop of oil at the gap and work in into the shaft by rotating the controls. Eventually, it will work its way into the old grease and keep it soft. The naphtha does it initially, but it evaporates and the effect doesn't last. That's where the drop of oil comes in.

I RESTORE VINTAGE AUDIO AND VIDEO GEAR. Master technician for Concept, Quadraflex, Calibre, Pioneer and Sony. Endorsed by Richard Schram for Concept product restoration. Factory technician for both Yamaha and JVC. Sonics consultant for Denon. Pacific Stereo store manager, service manager, Central Service lead tech, liquidator at our demise. Pacific Stereo curator. Infinity IRS dealer. Music buyer for one of the first CD retailers in the USA. Authorized servicer for virtually every brand on the planet at one time or another. Music addict. Mastering & recording engineer, weaned on a Neve (no other console sounds like a Neve!). Industry-respected ears. Head Tapehead.

Need vintage audio & video repair and restoration, or unobtanium semiconductors and parts? Ask me! And do visit the website: pacificstereo.net
Old 11-15-2017, 09:18 AM
Serious Tapehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangled View Post
So, when I rotate the volume control knob, the rear balance control should travel with it and not stay in position?...
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcbluesman View Post
.... I dont know what nemo is talking about. ....

There is no "traditional" BALANCE knob on this model.
You have independent volume level for Left and Right channel.
They were designed to rotate easily together.
For "balance" you hold one ring (channel) while adjusting (turning harder) the other for a "perfect balance"

Haven't you turned this unit on and hear how the volume increases in both loudspeakers only if they move together ?

Last edited by NEMOaudio; 11-15-2017 at 09:40 AM.
Old 11-15-2017, 09:56 AM
TapeHeads.Net Member

Thanks All.

I didn't expect to cause controversy and receive so many answers.!!!

I'll do the acid test tomorrow if I have time.

Will rig up a simple set up and report back.
Old 11-15-2017, 10:06 AM
Turn it up!

Either way, the answer is the same. Clean and lubricate, as Pacific and I described.
Old 11-15-2017, 12:23 PM
Sendust for brains

Well, be careful. Now that I see a close up, those two controls are supposed to be coupled together. They should both move when you move the outer knob, but should be loose enough that you can independently adjust them. If they work that way, then I wouldn't do what I suggested.

I RESTORE VINTAGE AUDIO AND VIDEO GEAR. Master technician for Concept, Quadraflex, Calibre, Pioneer and Sony. Endorsed by Richard Schram for Concept product restoration. Factory technician for both Yamaha and JVC. Sonics consultant for Denon. Pacific Stereo store manager, service manager, Central Service lead tech, liquidator at our demise. Pacific Stereo curator. Infinity IRS dealer. Music buyer for one of the first CD retailers in the USA. Authorized servicer for virtually every brand on the planet at one time or another. Music addict. Mastering & recording engineer, weaned on a Neve (no other console sounds like a Neve!). Industry-respected ears. Head Tapehead.

Need vintage audio & video repair and restoration, or unobtanium semiconductors and parts? Ask me! And do visit the website: pacificstereo.net

Would you like to see your company or site here?  CONTACT US
For more Tapeheads affiliates and links, see the Links and Resources page.