Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums
Universal Capstan Motor

Go Back   Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums > Tape, Taping and Tape Machines > Reel To Reel

Reel To Reel All discussions pertaining to reel to reel decks. These include general usage, recording, playback, and service questions. For subjects related to tape itself, see the Open Reel subforum under this one. Obscure service subjects that don't quite fit go in the Help and Do It Yourself subforum.

Donate to Tapeheads!

Old 02-16-2017, 08:14 PM
Serious Tapehead

TEAC A-1200U worth picking up?

Hi all,

I found a Teac A1200u at my local thrift and I am debating if it is worth picking up. The case is thrashed being that the veneer is peeling away in some parts and the front metal face has a ding. It is missing the power cable so I was not able to plug it in and test it.
The only good thing is the price, it is less than five bucks. But I think it would need a lot of work and it is an older model.

The heads look good not a lot of wear that I could see from my untrained eye.
So what do you guys think? any opinions? It is a 3 motor 3 heads rtr after all.
Should I add more projects to the ones I already have?

Thank you for any comments/suggestions you might have.
Old 02-17-2017, 02:19 AM
Serious Tapehead

For that price I would grab it for parts, and hope it could be fixed up.
Old 02-17-2017, 04:56 AM
Boy's bright, but he don't allways listen!

$5= MINE! Yes pick it up for that!

Need a Teac recapped? Heads installed? I do that! Contact me thru a PM.
Old 02-17-2017, 07:11 AM
Skywave Tape Deck Repair

You can put an IEC socket in it and then use a computer cord. There will be some work involved in restoring it. It all depends on the heads. It could be a good practice deck to start repair- if you are looking for a plug and play this is too old to be a perfect unit.

Sam Palermo, BSEE , ProSquad Member
Skywave Tape Deck Repair- Chicago area
(630)616-0932 Office/ Email skywavebe@sbcglobal.net
Past Teac/Tascam Lead Service Technician at Chicago Factory Service still doing repairs.
http://s609729863.onlinehome.us/tape...uipment-repair
Now accepting MC, Visa, Amex & Discover Cards!
Old 02-17-2017, 08:19 AM
Serious Tapehead

Location: Springfield MO Actually live next door to the Simpsons! But no Homer.
$5=have fun with it!
Old 02-17-2017, 11:47 AM
Serious Tapehead

Hi!
Be careful. Make sure that you get a solid 3 month in-house parts and labour warranty. You don't want your $5 to go down the drain.
Seriously, the A1200 was highly rated in Consumer Reports around 1968.
All the best,
Leon(The Audiomayvin, Montreal(514)739-5403)
Old 02-17-2017, 09:41 PM
Serious Tapehead

Hi guys,

Thank you for all your comments and suggestions.
I will stop by tomorrow and see if it is still there wich it will probably will be since it looked pretty trashed out.

Good idea about the power cord Sam and an easy fix.

Actually the only thing that kept me back was that my storage room its already packed with the several rtr's, stereos, speakers and turntables not including the yard tools and such.

Audiomayvin, That's a funny one :-)

Have a great weekend!
Old 02-17-2017, 09:43 PM
Serious Tapehead

And yes I can use the practice and have fun at the same time.
Like someone said here on another post. The sense of accomplishment when you can get a piece of gear back to life or al least try.

Rob
Old 06-15-2017, 02:44 AM
TapeHeads Newbie

I have had a a1500 since 1968 and it is still going strong. The 1500 is identical to the 1200 except the 1500 has an automatic reverse. The ECHO effects feature on both machines is fun but not much use to me for straight recording.I just cleaned up my 1500 that was sitting in the corner for 30 years and it needed cleaning and a new belt. Takes a lickin but keeps on tickin!
Old 06-16-2017, 12:43 PM
Highly Biased

These work best with red oxide tapes like Scotch 111.
Old 06-16-2017, 07:29 PM
Serious Tapehead

and if you are in SD I just might ship you a really nice 1200 to work the kinks out, Chuck near Kingman, AZ
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0607.jpg (81.5 KB, 18 views)
Old 06-17-2017, 06:17 AM
audiophool deluxe

You can buy a new cord for it here.

I have an 1100R but the crapstan motor has an open coil.

Dave
Old 06-17-2017, 09:19 AM
Jammis Archivivist

The heads are worth more than $5, but the deck is 50 years old, so it will need a LOT of work. My 4010SL is from'72, and is parked for various ailments, mainly age.
Old 06-17-2017, 01:42 PM
Skywave Tape Deck Repair

The older type heads were not all that long lasting. It all depends on use- there was a time when people had more leisure time and then more hours on the deck happened. Now we have more retirees and so that can still happen. If you like the way it looks fix it up and some are looking for things to put their time into. Retirement after you have sat around a while does not seem to be the best for some. Just lets then focus on their ailments.
Better to stay active and keep the old engine humming otherwise a retirement might not last that long- I have heard that some people retire and then die most likely due to lack of purpose. It is hard to spend 40 years working for a purpose and then one day you are left sitting by yourself. I can see where this becomes difficult- I have a number of friends who are retired but you don't see any flies land on them- they just keep going on another direction. Just not work.

Sam Palermo, BSEE , ProSquad Member
Skywave Tape Deck Repair- Chicago area
(630)616-0932 Office/ Email skywavebe@sbcglobal.net
Past Teac/Tascam Lead Service Technician at Chicago Factory Service still doing repairs.
http://s609729863.onlinehome.us/tape...uipment-repair
Now accepting MC, Visa, Amex & Discover Cards!
Old 06-18-2017, 07:18 AM
Boy's bright, but he don't allways listen!

Good advice there Sam. I remember out here when Kaiser steel closed down and some of the old timers retired, not wanting to of course. Within six months a half of them dropped. Three years later almost all of them were dead. Don't stop, keep moving, as Sam said even in another direction.

Need a Teac recapped? Heads installed? I do that! Contact me thru a PM.
Old 06-18-2017, 07:27 AM
audiophool deluxe

I worked for Motorola for 29 years and when I left they had already laid off all but 9 of the 21 people in my lab and shortly after I left they closed the plant and everyone either got laid off or on early retirement. Now only 2 of those 21 people I worked with are still alive. The oldest one made to 77 but all the rest all went 55-68. Guess I'm not trying hard enough .

Dave
Old 06-18-2017, 08:48 AM
Live Long and Prosper..

I had one of these decks, and after a good go-thru, some caps on the PS and transport it worked really well. Sadly, along with about a 1/2 dozen others in 2014 I gave it away to the guys that cleaned out the old house when we left..

That said, I like the A-1200 a little better than the A-4010GSL, especially the Ferrite headed GSL model, not because it's necessarily better, just the differences in layout and functions. As far as the heads, using better more modern heads off newer machines improves longevity and performance, as will using modern well calendared tapes, which don't tend to saw thru the heads, like tape formulas of old do/did. You could make a nice 2 track unit out of this if you so desired, 2 track heads are still being made, though quite expensive. Used 2 track heads are out there as well.You could do what Sam does, replace the 4-track play head with a new 4 track 4 channel 1/4" head, they seem to be more in abundance brand new. You would have an inexpensive machine that uses 2 channel 4 track or 2 track if desired, saving wear and tear on other machines.

These were pretty well built, with interesting options,. well enough that with some updating of electrolytic caps, while modifying the Record EQ cap ratings, and heads, can easily give you high quality in smaller machine, a lesser expensive one that keeps wear and hours down on more expensive decks, by not using them as often.

As a playback only deck, the 1200 could easily sound as good as many other decks or better, provided key points were addressed. Most of us serious about open reel have one or 2 dedicated play-only decks, in the track format(s) or tape/reel size(s) we use most often. Certainly, build quality is sufficient, and provided perishable board-level components, and rubber items in the A 1200 (or any deck at this age) are replaced you can expect quality performance and durability not seen in newer DC motor units.

Being lower down the food chain, spare parts machines are fairly inexpensive and often available. Used newer heads are still fairly plentiful, since there currently is no real shortage of 4 track- 2 channel- 1/4" decks as parts only units, for one reason or another. Many of these have little to no head wear, depending on owner and usage, these heads can be installed in place of older worn out heads, many newer and older heads can be Lapped if need be, instead of using up the finite supply's of new heads still available.

Would you like to see your company or site here?  CONTACT US
For more Tapeheads affiliates and links, see the Links and Resources page.