Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums
Universal Capstan Motor

Go Back   Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums > Tape, Taping and Tape Machines > Reel To Reel

Reel To Reel All discussions pertaining to reel to reel decks. These include general usage, recording, playback, and service questions. For subjects related to tape itself, see the Open Reel subforum under this one. Obscure service subjects that don't quite fit go in the Help and Do It Yourself subforum.

Donate to Tapeheads!

Old 02-16-2017, 11:29 AM
Serious Tapehead

Teac A-6300 Output Level Knob

Does the output level knob supposed to have an inner and outer, controlling each channel separately?
The knob on my deck has a single adjustment, controlling both channels.
Thank you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg teac25.jpg (63.1 KB, 17 views)
Old 02-16-2017, 12:00 PM
Serious Tapehead

I think the output is single. It's the input that's inner and outer. It is on my A3300SR
Old 02-16-2017, 12:21 PM
Serious Tapehead

I think it depends on when your particular deck was made as some models go through changes during its run and if the 6300 is like the A4300, the knobs start out silver as you show with silver buttons and a single tape/source switch for both channels and thus the output volume may be the same, but at some point, the knobs and switches become black/charcoal and separately ideally to left/right buttons for the tape/source and thus the output volume become the nested left/right like the line and mic volume controls.

my system Kenwood KD12-RB turntable, SHURE M97xE cart, Muffsy PP3 phono pre, Receiver: Sherwood RX4030R, TEAC A4300SX R2R, Denon DCM-370 CD changer, Speakers: sansui SP1700 and in testing/restoration phase, Sansui SP-3000, eMachines PC for multimedia use and recently got a Nakamichi BX100 cassette deck
Old 02-16-2017, 01:41 PM
Serious Tapehead

I recently acquired an A6300, the mic, line and output controls are all silver and right / left.

Phil
Old 02-16-2017, 03:25 PM
Live Long and Prosper..

The output control should be 2 knobs, inner and outer, top and bottom, adjust independently. If you pull both knobs off (there may be a set screw on each, look on the sides of each all around) you should see 2 distinct controls on the shaft, one looks like a 'D' the other a 'U' or a double slot. If it doesn't, I believe the output pot may have been changed out for some reason. I'm not saying it is impossible, but strangely enough I've never seen it on at least 50 or so machines. Perhaps is was an early design or the factory ran out of independently adjustable pots. I can't see if they are separate in that photo, but somewhere in the front panel, the left/right nomenclature should be silk screened showing the inner and outer knobs independent of each other for left and right channels.

Perhaps the carbon tracking failed, fell apart, shaft snapped or bent severely, was noisy or displayed very different measured resistances left and right when both set to the same position. I've had these pots where one channel is very different (higher or lower)measured resistances compared to each other set to minimum, letting signal past. Others measured far off from the other when in the 2 O'clock 'Specified Output' position, then need changed.

Most noisy pots will respond to DeOxit treatment. As I said, now and again, they just need replacing. I had a Pioneer RT-909 not long ago did the same thing, allowed too much signal past with BOTH left and right set to the minimum positions, on all three pots, Mic, Input, Output. It was known by Pioneer to be a problem on the 901/909, and I managed to find 3 later production revised replacements, that addressed the problem.

Still, it's really no excuse to switch out an Alp's or any brand left/right independently adjustable stereo pot, to one having only single adjustment not independent of the other. I would only consider doing that as a last resort in the event the correct one is Un-Obtanium, which they are not.

Never seen a single control output on any of the early metal or later Nylon knob'd Teac A series machines. Sometimes the shafts get very sticky/crusty and don't allow independent movement for left and right channels. After pulling the knobs of,f give the shaft and internals a thorough DeOxit treatment, soaking until they each work independent of the other. All 3 knob sets should each move independent of each other, for left and right.

If you want, post a photo of the shafts with the knobs removed so we can make sure the control is capable of independent adjustment. Again, make sure there are no Allen set screws or other type, locking the knobs to the shafts. Other than that, both should be a straight pull off with no pliers or other prying necessary.

Last edited by macman007; 02-16-2017 at 03:33 PM.
Old 02-16-2017, 06:29 PM
Serious Tapehead

The knob has two parts, but the pot only has one adjustment for both channels.
And so, it may as well have a one piece knob, unless someone monkeyed with it and changed out the original dual pot.
Although the picture in the manual does not indicate an inner/outer symbol at the output, like it does for the line and mic. And the other picture with flow diagram doesn't mention two movements either, but it is unclear to me.
It seems to work fine though. It just seemed strange.
Thank you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg teac26.jpg (63.8 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg teac27.jpg (48.6 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg teac28.jpg (65.4 KB, 17 views)
Old 02-16-2017, 06:50 PM
Serious Tapehead

Odd as my A4300 is exactly like your deck, though only for the 7" reels and it is a later iteration as mine has the two tape/monitor buttons, which are black and the line/mic and output knobs are charcoal black and the output control is indeed a twin shaft pot, but no silk screening to indicate which is for the left and right for all three but they are the same.

I can independently adjust my output as necessary when needed no problem. However, I can't just pull my knobs off as they are on there tight without fishing out some pliers to get a good grip to pull them off to verify at the moment.

my system Kenwood KD12-RB turntable, SHURE M97xE cart, Muffsy PP3 phono pre, Receiver: Sherwood RX4030R, TEAC A4300SX R2R, Denon DCM-370 CD changer, Speakers: sansui SP1700 and in testing/restoration phase, Sansui SP-3000, eMachines PC for multimedia use and recently got a Nakamichi BX100 cassette deck
Old 02-16-2017, 10:42 PM
Skywave Tape Deck Repair

The deck is suppose to have two sections to the knob but when someone replaced it they could not get the dual concentric pot and so did a hack job on it. The A6100 I am looking at now has dual adjustments on it.

Sam Palermo, BSEE and ProSquad Member
Skywave Tape Deck Repair- Chicago area
(630)616-0932 Office/ Email:skywavebe@sbcglobal.net
Past Teac/Tascam Lead Service Technician at Chicago Factory Service still doing repairs.
http://s609729863.onlinehome.us/tape...uipment-repair
Now accepting MC, Visa, Amex & Discover Cards!
Old 02-17-2017, 07:14 AM
Skywave Tape Deck Repair

Why are my post disappearing?
Yes it has two controls and the one they changed did not. A Hack job.

Past Teac/Tascam Lead Service Technician at Chicago Factory Service still doing repairs.
Old 02-17-2017, 07:59 AM
Serious Tapehead

Is this what I need, is it difficult to replace, and are any special instruments required?
Thank you.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TEAC-REEL-TO...3D262819817575
Old 02-17-2017, 02:51 PM
Skywave Tape Deck Repair

They might work but that is a lot of money for that kind of pot.

Old 02-17-2017, 04:18 PM
Skywave Tape Deck Repair

As stated they should be the ones. It is a lot of money for used pots.

Old 02-18-2017, 05:23 PM
Serious Tapehead

Like you said in this other thread, maybe a single is good enough.
Thank you.

http://www.tapeheads.net/showthread.php?t=51365
Old 03-01-2017, 08:31 AM
Serious Tapehead

Is there a work around way of doing these with only my ears and a DMM?
Output control set at -8dB at 2 o'clock, and VU meters set at 0dB.
Thank you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00081.jpg (64.0 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00082.jpg (46.6 KB, 2 views)
Old 03-01-2017, 09:14 AM
Infrasound Wizardry

Deffinately not,, your garenteed to mess it up without test tape and starting from the beggining plus owning the gear to properly do it. Its actually cheaper to send to a pro here at Tapeheads.
Old 03-01-2017, 10:48 AM
Serious Tapehead

Yes, that would be the right thing to do, if one was nearby.

What is bothering me, is that when a test tone is made with the SOURCE switched on, the right channel VU meter is exactly 3 dB less than the left channel.
So, what I've been doing is offsetting the inside/outside knobs to get an equal response at the meters, then turning the knobs together to set the recording for whatever source material.
It seems to sound okay and similar to the source, although I'm not that picky, and my system is average.
Perhaps there is something wrong with the equalization, etc.
Thank you.
Old 03-01-2017, 12:33 PM
Infrasound Wizardry

It could be equalization, but each time you increase one it will change another, thats why when you have the test tapes you have a set point to work off of that is correct. You then have a set way of adjusting each. If you just turn one blindly you will most likely make it furthur apart, especially at different frequecies. I wish it was easier but its nothing like just adding a bit more bass or treble, my first attempt took me hours to fine tune, and thats with the gear and help from a local tapehead member whom i probably brought close to the breaking point asking questions.

Theres got to be someone near Florida or pack it up and ship. I think its worth it personally because youll then have a perfect input output and a garenteed extended frequency response that will melt the listeners ears like butter on a hot knife. But youll never know untill you hear it done right. Theres lots involved.
Old 03-01-2017, 12:45 PM
Skywave Tape Deck Repair

When you are on source or input the input pots can contribute to the offset that is observed. I have calibrated a lot of these decks and if I was to put in a higher grade single pot output of say a plastic conductor linear, I would also find out which section is less and add a resistor to make it even. But that is just me. There is really no reason a single dual pot could not work as if the deck is so far off calibration then it needs work otherwise the output should be pretty good and the two would track each other better than a cheap carbon audio taper would.
The monitor section and meters for the input to the deck are the place that should be set accurately and then the output pot should be pretty close getting the -8dBu out of the deck.

Old 03-01-2017, 12:49 PM
Skywave Tape Deck Repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by knownothin View Post
Yes, that would be the right thing to do, if one was nearby.

What is bothering me, is that when a test tone is made with the SOURCE switched on, the right channel VU meter is exactly 3 dB less than the left channel.
So, what I've been doing is offsetting the inside/outside knobs to get an equal response at the meters, then turning the knobs together to set the recording for whatever source material.
It seems to sound okay and similar to the source, although I'm not that picky, and my system is average.
Perhaps there is something wrong with the equalization, etc.
Thank you.
It is not an equalization problem but a level problem. In fact if the outputs are measured as per the manual the output can be exactly the same and you could have a meter problem in the monitor section or even a dirty T/S switch and the high and normal switch has also caused problems with meters. It could even be bad caps- the technician will correct all these problems. Too bad we can't get Chuck Ziska to work on Teac decks down there as he would get more business that way.

Old 03-01-2017, 12:52 PM
Serious Tapehead

if 'you're not that fussy' - it's just the OUTPUT... Having the INPUT messed up would be another thing altogether !

>>>It seems to sound okay and similar to the source, although I'm not that picky, and my system is average.<<<

Would you like to see your company or site here?  CONTACT US
For more Tapeheads affiliates and links, see the Links and Resources page.