Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums
Universal Capstan Motor

Go Back   Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums > Tape, Taping and Tape Machines > Cassette

Cassette All discussions pertaining to cassette decks. These include general usage, recording, playback and service questions. For subjects related to tape itself, see the Cassette Tape subforum under this one. Obscure service subjects that don't quite fit go in the Help and Do It Yourself subforum.

Donate to Tapeheads!

Old 02-17-2017, 09:32 AM
Serious Tapehead

When I was in high school a classmate was convinced that the "New" BMW 320i was faster than any car made in 1965.

He said it was impossible that anything old was that fast.

The car in question was a 65 427 Cobra.

This guy couldn't grasp the reality and probably to this day thinks that the 320i is the pinnacle of automobiles.

It's frightening what a 427 Cobra can do, and it's frightening what tape can do.
Old 02-17-2017, 10:48 AM
Serious Tapehead

In a country where 55mph is the maximum, I really wonder what one can do with a Cobra... "Autobahn tested" rings any bells?

Anyway, the last two digits in a BMW indicate the cyl.cap., which was 2L, i stands for Injection, x for AWD (4x4) and so on. Surely a more than double bigger engine (4.7L) has to be more powerful, but just imagine how the things are when somebody starts to compare otherwise incomparable things - well, they are comparable...

But, nevertheless, your classmate is not to be condemned or criticised - he at least had a 320i... what good to spend a life finding a collection 427 Cobra or any other supercar then die the very next day??
Old 02-17-2017, 12:03 PM
Serious Tapehead

Reagan got rid of the 55 mph speed limit in the eighties. Until recently you could drive as fast as you wanted in Montana with an open beer in your hand. There were no speed limits on the home highways.

Had a guy challenge me in his brand new Subaru turbo on afternoon. He aerially followed me to the gas station and waited for me to fill my tank.

We lined up at the light and when it turned green I was almost to the next light by the time he crossed the intersection.

I don't think he knew what a Sunbeam Tiger was.

I used to spend every Friday and Saturday night "Educating" people with brand new Porsches and BMWs. LOL
Old 02-17-2017, 02:00 PM
Serious Tapehead

Ever drive a 320?

One of the slowest cars ever made.

Every other house here has a muscle car in the garage.

BMW is 23rd in reliability. Hence the billion dollar advertising budget.

It sounds like a mute point since everything is out of your budget.
Old Yesterday, 12:35 PM
TapeHeads Newbie

I usually copy my CD albums to casette, sometimes I lend some CD's from friend and just copy it - it's cheaper and we usually discuss about music after listen this ;)
Casette is more practical - smaller than CD's, more durable, portable (just compare size of walkman and discman). And still have good quality.
Recording tapes, writing j-cards is just cool, much more than just copy files...
Old Today, 12:07 AM
Serious Tapehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghitulescu View Post
There is none, therefore it's more portable...

You see, there is a single answer to the question: "Which steam technology is better than the steam technology for railroads when this technology is applied to trains?" but several for the question: "Which technology is better than the steam technology in railroad transportation?"
You're missing the point Ghitulescu, This thread is about what motivates you to record on cassettes and everyone has his own story, If portability only was the main reason I do already use iPhone 6 that can stream lossless 24bit 192Khz via WiFi to my Dolby Atmos receiver with outstanding quality that no analog deck can match, But sometimes it's good to get out of the digital world and enjoy the former technology that without it we wouldn't be at what we are now.
Old Today, 08:01 AM
Serious Tapehead

I may miss your point, but generally when someone asks why using a certain object in a certain way, and the answer provides a limited view thus generally false, then my answer is correct. Please refer to the steam question
In this case, if the question is why one records a cassette and the answer is because it's portable, this is false because the cassette for quite a long time is no more portable, as medium and as player, than a long list of other players, starting with Rio MP3 and ending with any cellphone.

On the other hand, an answer suggesting a certain sound coloratura is a perfect valid one, for it's true from all perspectives. Likewise the answer concerning the hobbies, personal feeling, sentimental value and the like...

Would you like to see your company or site here?  CONTACT US
For more Tapeheads affiliates and links, see the Links and Resources page.