Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums
Universal Capstan Motor

Go Back   Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums > Tape, Taping and Tape Machines > Cassette

Cassette All discussions pertaining to cassette decks. These include general usage, recording, playback and service questions. For subjects related to tape itself, see the Cassette Tape subforum under this one. Obscure service subjects that don't quite fit go in the Help and Do It Yourself subforum.

Donate to Tapeheads!
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #121  
Old 02-17-2017, 08:32 AM
CaryAudio CaryAudio is online now
Buh-bye.
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 1,188
When I was in high school a classmate was convinced that the "New" BMW 320i was faster than any car made in 1965.

He said it was impossible that anything old was that fast.

The car in question was a 65 427 Cobra.

This guy couldn't grasp the reality and probably to this day thinks that the 320i is the pinnacle of automobiles.

It's frightening what a 427 Cobra can do, and it's frightening what tape can do.
  #122  
Old 02-17-2017, 09:48 AM
Ghitulescu's Avatar
Ghitulescu Ghitulescu is offline
Serious Tapehead
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Germany
Posts: 13,626
In a country where 55mph is the maximum, I really wonder what one can do with a Cobra... "Autobahn tested" rings any bells?

Anyway, the last two digits in a BMW indicate the cyl.cap., which was 2L, i stands for Injection, x for AWD (4x4) and so on. Surely a more than double bigger engine (4.7L) has to be more powerful, but just imagine how the things are when somebody starts to compare otherwise incomparable things - well, they are comparable...

But, nevertheless, your classmate is not to be condemned or criticised - he at least had a 320i... what good to spend a life finding a collection 427 Cobra or any other supercar then die the very next day??
__________________
It is dangerous to be right in matters on which the established authorities are wrong.
  #123  
Old 02-17-2017, 11:03 AM
CaryAudio CaryAudio is online now
Buh-bye.
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 1,188
Reagan got rid of the 55 mph speed limit in the eighties. Until recently you could drive as fast as you wanted in Montana with an open beer in your hand. There were no speed limits on the home highways.

Had a guy challenge me in his brand new Subaru turbo on afternoon. He aerially followed me to the gas station and waited for me to fill my tank.

We lined up at the light and when it turned green I was almost to the next light by the time he crossed the intersection.

I don't think he knew what a Sunbeam Tiger was.

I used to spend every Friday and Saturday night "Educating" people with brand new Porsches and BMWs. LOL
  #124  
Old 02-17-2017, 01:00 PM
CaryAudio CaryAudio is online now
Buh-bye.
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 1,188
Ever drive a 320?

One of the slowest cars ever made.

Every other house here has a muscle car in the garage.

BMW is 23rd in reliability. Hence the billion dollar advertising budget.

It sounds like a mute point since everything is out of your budget.
  #125  
Old 02-19-2017, 11:35 AM
Abotage Abotage is offline
TapeHeads.Net Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 47
I usually copy my CD albums to casette, sometimes I lend some CD's from friend and just copy it - it's cheaper and we usually discuss about music after listen this ;)
Casette is more practical - smaller than CD's, more durable, portable (just compare size of walkman and discman). And still have good quality.
Recording tapes, writing j-cards is just cool, much more than just copy files...
  #126  
Old 02-19-2017, 11:07 PM
latreche34 latreche34 is offline
Serious Tapehead
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghitulescu View Post
There is none, therefore it's more portable...

You see, there is a single answer to the question: "Which steam technology is better than the steam technology for railroads when this technology is applied to trains?" but several for the question: "Which technology is better than the steam technology in railroad transportation?"
You're missing the point Ghitulescu, This thread is about what motivates you to record on cassettes and everyone has his own story, If portability only was the main reason I do already use iPhone 6 that can stream lossless 24bit 192Khz via WiFi to my Dolby Atmos receiver with outstanding quality that no analog deck can match, But sometimes it's good to get out of the digital world and enjoy the former technology that without it we wouldn't be at what we are now.
  #127  
Old 02-20-2017, 07:01 AM
Ghitulescu's Avatar
Ghitulescu Ghitulescu is offline
Serious Tapehead
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Germany
Posts: 13,626
I may miss your point, but generally when someone asks why using a certain object in a certain way, and the answer provides a limited view thus generally false, then my answer is correct. Please refer to the steam question
In this case, if the question is why one records a cassette and the answer is because it's portable, this is false because the cassette for quite a long time is no more portable, as medium and as player, than a long list of other players, starting with Rio MP3 and ending with any cellphone.

On the other hand, an answer suggesting a certain sound coloratura is a perfect valid one, for it's true from all perspectives. Likewise the answer concerning the hobbies, personal feeling, sentimental value and the like...
__________________
It is dangerous to be right in matters on which the established authorities are wrong.
  #128  
Old 02-20-2017, 10:12 AM
Abotage Abotage is offline
TapeHeads.Net Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 47
I was saying that casette is portable when compare to other music mediums like CD or vinyl. Of course, you can buy 128GB microSD card and fill them mp3's or flac's but it's not like casette or vinyl. Personally I listen files rarely, because it's not like physical thing, it's virtual, you can't touch it, put on the shelf etc.
  #129  
Old 02-26-2017, 06:21 PM
Paul UK Paul UK is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Somerset, England
Posts: 901
The saga continues...

but not for me, ive sold every tape deck i have and replaced them with a cd recorder and hard drive recorder, best move i ever made, no more pissing about, just machines that get the job done perfectly without worrying about all the stupid problems analog presents to me. no more mechanical drag, no more drop outs or playing with tapes for half an hour before recordings to get decent-ish sound, and no more getting involved with pointless digital v analog debates. ive said my peace on this subject and got banned for talking good old fashioned common sense, the format is dead and so is the cassette part of this forum in fact it died 30 years ago.

10 seconds after putting a blank cd-r in my recorder it was instantly obvious to me why tape died out but ive got to keep my mouth shut or risk another ban.
  #130  
Old 02-26-2017, 07:28 PM
CaryAudio CaryAudio is online now
Buh-bye.
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 1,188
Analog is only really worth it if you can hear a difference. To hear a difference, you have to go a little nuts and spend an amount of money and time that isn't really worth it to most people.

My CR7 is the thing that really shines for analog. Makes it worth it, to me. What's funny is I have two reel to reel players that I can't justify the work, because they don't sound "Good enough" to be worth the extra effort.

On a related note, I just heard a demo of Tidal with MQA, and I hate to admit this, but this might make every physical format obsolete!

I haven't tried it in my system, so I can't say for sure, but it sounded REALLY GOOD!!!

It's 500 US dollars and it streams everything, and the MQA title was good enough to were I had to come home and break out my copy of The Cars album to compare.

How can any physical format compete with this stuff? I don't think it can.
  #131  
Old 02-26-2017, 07:31 PM
CaryAudio CaryAudio is online now
Buh-bye.
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 1,188
What IF Tidal/MQA is THAT GOOD?

Will analog truly die off and tapeheads go dark?

Admit it Paul, you had some fun!

Do I need to send you my CR1 I have sitting here?
  #132  
Old 02-26-2017, 07:31 PM
latreche34 latreche34 is offline
Serious Tapehead
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul UK View Post
The saga continues...

but not for me, ive sold every tape deck i have and replaced them with a cd recorder and hard drive recorder, best move i ever made, no more pissing about, just machines that get the job done perfectly without worrying about all the stupid problems analog presents to me. no more mechanical drag, no more drop outs or playing with tapes for half an hour before recordings to get decent-ish sound, and no more getting involved with pointless digital v analog debates. ive said my peace on this subject and got banned for talking good old fashioned common sense, the format is dead and so is the cassette part of this forum in fact it died 30 years ago.

10 seconds after putting a blank cd-r in my recorder it was instantly obvious to me why tape died out but ive got to keep my mouth shut or risk another ban.
I agree with you 100% and you shouldn't get banned for saying common sense, I do get my main entertainment from digital media, Blu-ray/UHD, Netflix, KODI , Hi rez and CD, However I still own analog equipment and like to record or archive to digital from them, There isn't any pre recorded analog media available now aside from vinyl which the same contents are available in digital format anyway and 10 times cheaper, and I don't like to limit myself to what's available on vinyl only.

Back in the day buying vinyl made sense because that's the best quality you can get, Pre recorded reel to reel tapes were not affordable and compact cassettes didn't sound that good, Yes it is making a slight come back but for reasons 95% of them not because it sounds better...Does it?

Last edited by latreche34; 02-26-2017 at 07:38 PM.
  #133  
Old 02-26-2017, 08:20 PM
Paul UK Paul UK is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Somerset, England
Posts: 901
My advice is whatever format you are into grab as many blanks as you can because very soon it will all be over for physical media, theres no money in it anymore, the internet is too big to argue with, it dominates the market so much now its unreal. even new pc cd rom drives are getting hard to buy new now, decent ones anyway.

I blame this on phone and tablet dominance, theyve crippled the market, and left us people who like to hold physical media in their hands nearing obsolete uselessness. Im well aware that cds will be gone soon so its for this reason i bought a hard drive wav and flac recorder aswell as a philips cd recorder, i wont be parting with any of my cds any time soon as common as they once were they will be rare as rocking horse shit very soon.

I bought the phillips cd recorder for a few reasons, firstly i love the whole CD TEXT thing and love the idea of doing on the fly digital recordings, also they have a vu display, some features most ordinary players dont have.

hell i know we have to move with the times but just be mindful the end is near for blank media, withinn the next 2 to 3 years cds will be as rare as hell.

Mobile phones today are used for everything apart from making phone calls, and kids cant do without them today which is very sad indeed, a proper addiction that shows no sign of ending, im glad i dont own one i hate the bloody things, whenever im out with friends all i see is people screen flicking when youre talking to them, its so bloody ignorant!

Last edited by Paul UK; 02-26-2017 at 08:32 PM.
  #134  
Old 02-26-2017, 08:40 PM
Paul UK Paul UK is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Somerset, England
Posts: 901
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abotage View Post
I was saying that casette is portable when compare to other music mediums like CD or vinyl. Of course, you can buy 128GB microSD card and fill them mp3's or flac's but it's not like casette or vinyl. Personally I listen files rarely, because it's not like physical thing, it's virtual, you can't touch it, put on the shelf etc.
True, latreche34, we had no choice in the 70s and early 80s but use records and tapes, i look at vinyl like i do my first train set, nostalgic sentimental etc, us men never grow up, thats why we get hooked on things we did as a child, but when people say these formats are better than anything today thats just silly.

Technology has come so far now did you know hard drive information can be stored in liquid form? amazing huh

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/dna-data-st...liquid-1488529

Last edited by Paul UK; 02-26-2017 at 08:48 PM.
  #135  
Old 02-26-2017, 08:59 PM
CaryAudio CaryAudio is online now
Buh-bye.
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 1,188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul UK View Post
True, latreche34, we had no choice in the 70s and early 80s but use records and tapes, i look at vinyl like i do my first train set, nostalgic sentimental etc, us men never grow up, thats why we get hooked on things we did as a child, but when people say these formats are better than anything today thats just silly.

Technology has come so far now did you know hard drive information can be stored in liquid form? amazing huh

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/dna-data-st...liquid-1488529
Reminds me of this movie.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ujuOikKgAE
  #136  
Old 02-26-2017, 10:47 PM
Big Kelv's Avatar
Big Kelv Big Kelv is offline
Stop! .. .. Carry On!
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Stalham, UK
Posts: 4,864
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul UK View Post
The saga continues...

but not for me, ive sold every tape deck i have and replaced them with a cd recorder and hard drive recorder, best move i ever made, no more pissing about, just machines that get the job done perfectly without worrying about all the stupid problems analog presents to me. no more mechanical drag, no more drop outs or playing with tapes for half an hour before recordings to get decent-ish sound, and no more getting involved with pointless digital v analog debates. ive said my peace on this subject and got banned for talking good old fashioned common sense, the format is dead and so is the cassette part of this forum in fact it died 30 years ago.

10 seconds after putting a blank cd-r in my recorder it was instantly obvious to me why tape died out but ive got to keep my mouth shut or risk another ban.
I fail to see how the cassette sub forum of a site called TAPEHEADS.NET should no longer exist. If so you're worried about a ban (you could join a none tape biased forum) please feel free to add your posts of wisdom in the appropriate none tape related sub forums.

Regards, Kelv
__________________
NAD Sony Pioneer Yamaha Nak Denon Pure Pro-Ject Dual Sherwood Linn Mission Audiolab Brennan Marantz Home Brew TT Arcam

Probabably my biggest work based achievement
  #137  
Old 02-26-2017, 10:56 PM
Ghitulescu's Avatar
Ghitulescu Ghitulescu is offline
Serious Tapehead
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Germany
Posts: 13,626
I repeat - cassette may be the only medium that would survive a digital lock-out. There are far more cassettes than tapes, cheaper than reels, players/recorders also cheaper, plus all the comfort and portability.
These being said, yes, it's only an emergency "backup", not the first choice.
__________________
It is dangerous to be right in matters on which the established authorities are wrong.
  #138  
Old 02-27-2017, 02:46 AM
absinthe_boy's Avatar
absinthe_boy absinthe_boy is offline
Serious Tapehead
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Luton, UK
Posts: 4,622
If you don't want to record cassettes, then by all means don't do so. Though bragging about throwing away decks on a forum mostly intended for discussion of magnetic tape is a bit of a mystery.

Some of us have different experiences. I've tried direct CD recording, recording to hard drive, DAT...and I keep coming back to analogue tape for a variety of reasons I've given here and elsewhere. I can get a similar end result by recording 24/96 or better (preferably 24/192) on my PC...but it's a complete faff compared to inserting a cassette or threading a reel...and pressing "REC". And the end result isn't very portable. It's pretty much stuck on that PC unless I upload it to the cloud, which I have no intention of ever using (security issues are dreadful). So what happens when my HDD dies?...as it will inevitably do before any of my cassettes or reels die.

Ask yourself this. How many computer owners do you know who have never experienced HDD failure?

Your mileage may vary...
__________________
--
Akai GX2-10D, Nakamichi Cassette Deck 2, Yamaha KX-393, Denon DRM12-HX, Systemdek IIx900, Pro-Ject Debut II, Harman/Kardon 330c, Harman/Hardon 3380, Onkyo TX-SR608 etc.
  #139  
Old 02-27-2017, 02:28 PM
Paul UK Paul UK is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Somerset, England
Posts: 901
Mate i have had hard drives last 30 years thats no excuse really, and they are dirt cheap now, only a fool wouldnt backup his machine
  #140  
Old 02-27-2017, 02:51 PM
cron7027 cron7027 is offline
TapeHeads Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 4
Quote:
The saga continues...

but not for me, ive sold every tape deck i have and replaced them with a cd recorder and hard drive recorder, best move i ever made, no more pissing about, just machines that get the job done perfectly without worrying about all the stupid problems analog presents to me. no more mechanical drag, no more drop outs or playing with tapes for half an hour before recordings to get decent-ish sound, and no more getting involved with pointless digital v analog debates. ive said my peace on this subject and got banned for talking good old fashioned common sense, the format is dead and so is the cassette part of this forum in fact it died 30 years ago.

10 seconds after putting a blank cd-r in my recorder it was instantly obvious to me why tape died out but ive got to keep my mouth shut or risk another ban.
That's all great!!! Just one question for you - what are you still doing on Tapeheads forum? Trying to educate us all, poor people who doesn't know any better? Or maybe just TROLLING?
There is always one on every forum...
Closed Thread


Would you like to see your company or site here?  CONTACT US
For more Tapeheads affiliates and links, see the Links and Resources page.


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mono cassette recording vs stereo recording Timewarp43 Cassette 11 10-04-2015 10:22 AM
recording a mono record shadowlord Cassette 12 10-04-2014 09:59 AM
What recording level do you record at? SuperFlyBaconG Reel To Reel 29 11-20-2012 06:12 PM
First recording with new record head - Need help goodrat Reel To Reel 39 08-19-2012 06:04 PM
Any record producers, recording engineers on the forum? GetReel Reel To Reel 6 09-09-2011 08:08 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:22 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2016, Tapeheads.Net. All rights reserved, no use of any element incorporated into this site without express written permission.