Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums
High quality analog audio tape for professionals and enthusiasts alike.

Go Back   Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums > Service, Restorations, Helpful How-Tos, Parts and Manuals, Ads and More! > Test Equipment

Test Equipment Need to fix it? You need test gear. This is the section to talk about what to buy and what to do with it.

Donate to Tapeheads!

Old 03-10-2017, 02:34 PM
Serious Tapehead

Sencore SG-165 AM FM Stereo Signal Generator

I am in need of a signal generator to align the am/fm sections of my Sansui QRX-8001. Of the "vintage" equipment, I see the Sencore SG-165 pop up alot in threads. I'm led to believe it is not the best, but very able to do the job. Plus it has built in watt meters to test the output of the receiver. For me that would be a welcome bonus as I could set the meters on the Sansui as well.
What other models should I be on the look out for that is not crazy expensive? Remember this is a hobby! A Heathkit IG-37 / IG-5237?

Anyone who has a suitable piece of equipment, feel free to PM me.....would like to get something soon, even if I have to repair it before I use it.
Old 03-10-2017, 03:14 PM
Tolerated Vintage audio collector.

I have one also, but have never tried aligning my Marantz 10b, (which is pretty much non-align-able from what I've heard.)

It will be interesting to see what people say, from what I've heard, it is not a top unit.

Last edited by Pacific Stereo; 01-02-2018 at 09:53 AM. Reason: No need to quote anything.
Old 04-17-2017, 05:52 PM
Serious Tapehead

OK I got one. Now to figure out how to use it!
Old 04-19-2017, 07:22 PM
Tandberg fanatic

Did you get the manual for it? Did it come with the output pad & other cables?

Manual is available here:

http://bama.edebris.com/download/sen...M%20Manual.pdf

Another useful reference:

http://www.stancurtis.com/Soundtech/...ivers.orig.PDF

John
Old 04-20-2017, 04:58 AM
Serious Tapehead

Yep, it has the matching pad, detector, manual, and one cable. I haven't had time to check the calibration on it yet. Hope to get to that this weekend.

Thanks for the links, having a PDF manual is handy.
Old 04-20-2017, 05:12 PM
Highly Biased

The SG165 is adequate for tuners with ceramic IF filters. On Marantz, McIntosh, and other tuners with adjustable stagger tuned IF filters, you must find a Sound Technology 1000A and have a 'scope.
Old 04-21-2017, 02:56 PM
Serious Tapehead

Nakdoc,
The Sound Technology 1000A would be a nice piece of gear, and I don't know anything about either at this point, but what can it do the SG-165 can't? From the outside, it appears they function the same.
Old 04-25-2017, 04:28 PM
Highly Biased

THd as low as 0.05% and separation as high as 50dB (IIRC)
What is unique about the 1000A is called "dual sweep" IF adjustment. Once you understand the value of setting the IF bandpass with a generator capable of sweeping the test signal you will never go back to setting the IF to a fixed center frequency.
Old 01-01-2018, 09:30 PM
TapeHeads.Net Member

I know this is an old thread, but the SG-165 will sweep the I.F. frequency.

Kind of self explanatory for the setting which can be selected by rotating the big knob on the right to the position labled as "10.7 Mhz Sweep and Markers".
Old 01-02-2018, 09:54 AM
Sendust for brains

Dual sweep is a completely different animal from ordinary sweep. To my knowledge, only the ST equipment ever did it.

I RESTORE VINTAGE AUDIO AND VIDEO GEAR. Master technician for Concept, Quadraflex, Calibre, Pioneer and Sony. Endorsed by Richard Schram for Concept product restoration. Factory technician for both Yamaha and JVC. Sonics consultant for Denon. Pacific Stereo store manager, service manager, Central Service lead tech, liquidator at our demise. Pacific Stereo curator. Infinity IRS dealer. Music buyer for one of the first CD retailers in the USA. Authorized servicer for virtually every brand on the planet at one time or another. Music addict. Mastering & recording engineer, weaned on a Neve (no other console sounds like a Neve!). Industry-respected ears. Head Tapehead.

Need vintage audio & video repair and restoration, or unobtanium semiconductors and parts? Ask me! And do visit the website: pacificstereo.net
Old 01-02-2018, 11:04 AM
TapeHeads.Net Member

What exactly is being seen with a dual sweep that can not be seen with a regular sweep?

I understand that the I.F. bandwidth adjustments can be much nicer, but it makes me wonder why they'd be the only manufacturer to implement it when millions of radios have been aligned without it.
Old 01-02-2018, 11:20 AM
Sendust for brains

Take a look at page four.

I RESTORE VINTAGE AUDIO AND VIDEO GEAR. Master technician for Concept, Quadraflex, Calibre, Pioneer and Sony. Endorsed by Richard Schram for Concept product restoration. Factory technician for both Yamaha and JVC. Sonics consultant for Denon. Pacific Stereo store manager, service manager, Central Service lead tech, liquidator at our demise. Pacific Stereo curator. Infinity IRS dealer. Music buyer for one of the first CD retailers in the USA. Authorized servicer for virtually every brand on the planet at one time or another. Music addict. Mastering & recording engineer, weaned on a Neve (no other console sounds like a Neve!). Industry-respected ears. Head Tapehead.

Need vintage audio & video repair and restoration, or unobtanium semiconductors and parts? Ask me! And do visit the website: pacificstereo.net
Old 01-02-2018, 01:23 PM
TapeHeads.Net Member

Interesting.

Will have to play with the HP8690 sweep oscillator and see if that can be replicated.
Old 01-02-2018, 04:41 PM
Highly Biased

You can't replicate Dual Sweep. The staggered tuning was a work-around where each IF was slightly mis aligned over and under 10.7 MHz to make the total IF bandpass lower in distortion. Dual sweep finds the same low distortion optimum, but may alter some selectivity vs. a staggered tuning method. I would not run out and re-align my 10B if I lived in New York without some advice from an experienced tuner tech who knows if it works or not. The SG165 is fine for the old Pioneer, but don't rely on it for the best tuners!
Old 01-02-2018, 05:42 PM
Live Long and Prosper..

Now I'm confused too. I understand whats being said as far as dual sweep and the way that McIntosh tuner/ receivers and the 10B work My confusion surrounds the Sound Technology 1000A versus say a Hewlett Packard Hp8640(A or B). Can this HP or other HP model similar perform the same Dual Sweep analysis/set up as the Sound Technology ST1000A?

I was looking at the HP8640 to satisfy my all in one AM-FM tuner alignment needs. If it can't do the proper tests and checks required for the 10B or McIntosh Am-FM sections in receivers or tuners, then there is no point owning it. That said, does the ST1000A do everything else and the others out there as well as the HP 8640 does?

I had focused my search on the HP8640 and HP8903 units to satisfy all my needs on the bench. NakDoc offered the ST1700B and ST1000A units to my WTB classified ad here on TH's. I was under the impression overall that the HP units were newer better overall with more options and flexibility plus aftermarket support as opposed to the Sound Technology gear. Am I being too short sighted of selective here, cutting my nose off to spite my face? Has all my information and research ended drawing the wrong conclusions? The HP gear (these 2 units anyway) my impression is bang for buck are the best thing going?.. If they cant set up a 10b or classic Mc Tuner Section, thats a serious performance ability gap and loss in potential revenue, from the very market I am trying to service.

Sorry , I'm not trying to hijack the thread, the tuner set up gear comparisons are at least relative.

Thanks
Old 01-02-2018, 11:08 PM
Todays Tom Sawyer

I would love to have a ST1000A but it just hasn't been in the cards (or budget) yet. Also be advised, the 1000A is FM only. You need another piece of gear to do the AM side.

I am a newbie to the tuner alignment game and have never attempted one yet due to lack of the right equipment and lack of know how so far. But I did just finally get my Panasonic FM/AM signal generator fixed but I think I need a stereo generator as well. So much to learn!
Old 01-02-2018, 11:20 PM
Live Long and Prosper..

I had a guy who I could take them to and he's put an alignment on them, let me watch and help out. Ive been thru a couple alignments completely with another fellow but that was almost 20 years ago now. I want to do it myself, the guy I've been shipping stuff off too is pretty old and said I should just get the gear and lean to do them. He said I would have no problems, and recommended the HP8640A, as thats what he's got. Thats a big reason I wanted one as well as the HP8903, so I have the complete suite of electroincs that with a wow/flutter meter will let me do anmost anything.

Since the Sound Technology only does FM, it sounds like I'll still need the HP8640 for AM plus other stuff out there. Picking test equipment is tough, you never know if your picking the best stuff for your needs, which is why I have tried to narrow my focus as I've come along, learning and growing in the trade.
Old 01-12-2018, 07:03 PM
Serious Tapehead

As luck would have it, and I usually donít have good luck, I happened into a working ST-1000A. Iím very excited about this!
Since I know absolutely nothing about aligning tuners, I can only speculate at this point about which is better between the SG-165 and the ST-1000A. It would appear each is very capable, just different in application.

I know I would rather have a digital unit if I could, simply because of the preciseness of the outputs. When the digits show 50mv, you know you have 50mv at the output when properly terminated. When it shows 90Mhz, you know youríre At 90Mhz. I like that. But will they do as good a job? Why would they not?
Iím re-modeling a spare room into a place to work and enjoy the fruits of my work. After Iím done and moved into it I will have a go with the ST-1000A. Iím shooting for an early spring completion.
Old 01-13-2018, 07:33 PM
Tandberg fanatic

The ST1000A is head and shoulders better. Download the manual and study up:

http://www.stancurtis.com/Soundtech/...anual%20WM.pdf

Also worth reading:

http://www.stancurtis.com/Soundtech/...ivers.orig.PDF

John

Would you like to see your company or site here?  CONTACT US
For more Tapeheads affiliates and links, see the Links and Resources page.