Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums
High quality analog audio tape for professionals and enthusiasts alike.

Go Back   Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums > General Audio Discussions > Tuners

Tuners Like FM? Or perhaps you're a DXer who loves hearing those distant voices. Talk about radio waves here.

Donate to Tapeheads!

Old 12-02-2016, 05:09 AM
Serious Tapehead

The UK keeps putting back it's estimated date for the beginning of the end of FM. Possibly because we still have decent, uncompressed broadcasts from the BBC.

BBC Radio 2,3 and 4 contain a lot of material that I listen to. Their equivalents on DAB sound awful.

And that is another thing...people who have bought DAB radios, even non-audiophiles, can easily tell the difference and do not actually much like DAB.
Old 12-25-2016, 01:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
And change the preemphasis from 75 to 50us

But don't a lot of tuners (or at least the ones worth spending money on) do that automatically when you change the step rate? Makes sense that they would or at least should.
Old 12-25-2016, 02:09 PM
I'll have warp power in 10 minutes Cap'n

Location: Came to the Twin Cities, MN for snow! Where is it??
I agree that it is the "drive time" radio shows which bring in the money. KQRS FM 92.5 here has the most loyal following of their morning show of another other in the Nation. Well I think that is still true back when one station here had the Howard Stern show up against KQRS and that station lost so much money it was sold and even changed their call letters and format. Since our drive time lasts from 5:am till as late as 10:am and then starts back up by 2:pm, KQRS has live "DJs" till late into the evening. I think late night is automated but I am not sure. We have 2 other automated stations here that play "rock-pop", one from the late 70's on up and another from the late 50's on up. Many of the stations are owned by Clear Channel had from what I have read this market is a money maker. We have a lot of FM and AM talk radio also and several nice FM classical stations, PBS, a couple from Universities, and many more. Considering the stations here reach the cities of St. Cloud, Mankato, and Rochester in MN and Eau Claire in WI they have a potential market close to 5 million. I don't think any of the stations have their own tower and all rent from the many TV towers.
SO FM transmitting will not die easily here. I would expect some kind of change since the electromagnetic spectrum is only so large and the cell phones companies Need more frequencies, just ask them!

X-1000R, X-7R disassembled, RS-1506, Kenwood KX-W4060 cassette, linear tracking turntable & 2 Klipsch KLF-10's. Into audio and R2R for 55 years since I was 11 & built my first circuit
Old 12-25-2016, 02:50 PM
Serious Tapehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineBates View Post
But don't a lot of tuners (or at least the ones worth spending money on) do that automatically when you change the step rate? Makes sense that they would or at least should.
Changing step is possible AFAIK only for AM (10/9 kHz), where there is no pre-emphasis.
Old 12-28-2016, 08:09 PM
Serious Tapehead

FM has so much potential but it's quashed. They destroyed all dynamics
so Jughead in his 40 year old pick up can hear it all above the sound of
a dragging muffler. Back in the '70's and 80's, it sounded great. Now, just a
way of broadcasting dynamically smashed mp3's, selected by clear channel.
Sat radio is even worse with their low bit rate.
I'd hook up my tuners and listen to FM if they'd make it sound tolerable again.
Stereo System:Technics 1200 w/ Denon 110,Luxman K-03,JVC KD a 77 HK 491,The ultra rare JVC nr-50 super anrs box!,Acoustat 2+2 speakers,Hafler XL 280 ampHome Theater:11 modded LX5II realisticspeakers,Infinity ssw212 sub,Outlaw 750 sub,Denon 11.1 4311 receiver,Panny 220bluray,Denon sacd/dvda player,Samsung 72" dlp w/ full 3d setup
Old 12-28-2016, 08:52 PM
Serious Tapehead

There are some good stations still out there... mostly NPR and classical music stations. I'm in a FM fringe area but can pull in two jazz oriented NPR stations with full quieting on a little Concept 2.0 receiver. (Yeah, a tip of the hat to Pacific Stereo.)

Listening to some good jazz on Altec 19's (VOTT) right now on that set.
Old 12-28-2016, 10:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Changing step is possible AFAIK only for AM (10/9 kHz), where there is no pre-emphasis.
Sometimes both can. The old Realistic (Grundig) DX375 MW/FM/shortwave radio can be set between the 9/100 and 10/200 step rates by flipping a very tiny switch in the battery compartment. I don't remember if that changes the pre-em though.
Old 12-29-2016, 09:30 AM
Serious Tapehead

"There are some good stations still out there... mostly NPR and classical music stations. I'm in a FM fringe area but can pull in two jazz oriented NPR stations with full quieting on a little Concept 2.0 receiver. (Yeah, a tip of the hat to Pacific Stereo.)"

Yeah, nice but I don't listen to much classical. I want rock like I had growing up.
So, for that reason, my brand new , still in its packing box , realistic ta 1001 will stay in the garage.
Stereo System:Technics 1200 w/ Denon 110,Luxman K-03,JVC KD a 77 HK 491,The ultra rare JVC nr-50 super anrs box!,Acoustat 2+2 speakers,Hafler XL 280 ampHome Theater:11 modded LX5II realisticspeakers,Infinity ssw212 sub,Outlaw 750 sub,Denon 11.1 4311 receiver,Panny 220bluray,Denon sacd/dvda player,Samsung 72" dlp w/ full 3d setup

Last edited by katana1100; 12-29-2016 at 09:36 AM.
Old 01-06-2017, 01:39 PM
Serious Tapehead

American FM radio is mostly utterly dire.

But here in Limeyland we still have the BBC.
Old 01-12-2017, 07:14 AM
TapeHeads.Net Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by absinthe_boy View Post
American FM radio is mostly utterly dire.

But here in Limeyland we still have the BBC.
Limeyland HAHAHA I had to reply to this
Old 04-20-2017, 07:10 AM
TapeHeads.Net Member

Going back

Changing setup to include FM. Just bought a TU 999 to go with my AU999. Spotify may get jealous. Nice j-pole on side of house with a flashing red led for air traffic. I am the new Superhero, Analog man. After the EMP, who ya gonna call. Analog man
Old 08-30-2017, 09:42 PM
TapeHeads.Net Member

It really depends upon whether there are worthwhile FM stations in your listening locale. Many of the college and NPR stations are NOT over-processed and can sound quite good when they play programming that floats your boat. You also need to understand the necessity of having a decent outdoor antenna, which is so simple in concept yet seems to be such a tough obstacle for so many people to accomplish...
1/2 Track R2Rs - Crown CI-822, TASCAM 32; 1/4 Track R2R - TEAC 1230; Cassette Decks - Tandberg TCD 330/310Mk2, Sony KA1 ES; Portable Cassette Recorder - Marantz PMD 221; CD Recorder - Phillips CDR765.
Old 08-31-2017, 09:18 AM
TapeHeads.Net Member

IMHO free-to-air TV spectrum had to be “refarmed” in 2009 (USA) because the “VHS” quality (480p) with mono or stereo audio, had to finally give place to the “HD video w/ Dolby digital audio” era, be 720p, 1080p and eventually 4K. At least in the US, the spectrum also had to be optimized, refarmed, reassigned and auctioned to cellular companies, and for public safety and public service. On the other hand… for analog FM stereo 87.5 to 108.0 MHz (which I still enjoy occasionally), we can have a response on the speakers arguably of 30 Hz to 15 kHz. For the human ear it is arguably pretty good. ((BTW, I do use a vintage analog equalizer to boost higher frequencies to compensate lower quality audio from the source)).

So IMHO there is no sense of urgency to “kill” the analog FM technology just for the sake of audio quality. It would be only due to lack of audience, and the hungry need for the spectrum for other technologies and/or for public safety or public service. It seems that the millennials and subsequent generations have little or no interest in analog FM programming, so that may be the main factor to discontinue this medium over time.
Old 08-31-2017, 10:31 AM
Serious Tapehead

The "VHS" spectrum (probably you wanted to say NTSC in standard definition) does not overlap too much the newly digital systems, because these needed a much higher carrier (thus band).
Scraping these had the official purpose of freeing this spectrum for other uses. I am not really sure what exactly use they talk about DAB+? DVB-T2?
Old 08-31-2017, 10:46 AM
TapeHeads.Net Member

You're right, I was talking about the old free-to-air TV using NTSC in the USA.

DAB (audio) and DVB-T2 (television) are used in other regions:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digita...o_broadcasting

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVB-T2

I never experienced those services.

Regards,
Old 12-25-2017, 11:19 AM
TapeHeads.Net Member

We moved two years back to SW Colorado right in the thick of mountain country. Thought FM radio would be pretty dismal at best but that wasn't the case at all. Our local NPR is a wonderful channel playing things that never are on big city radio. The town of Ouray has a 100 watt station run by high school students that plays all sorts excellent music and different formats that make you want listen the radio again. My Wife found a station that must have translator near us that plays many of the great old country and western oldies that have disappeared from the mainstream airwaves. My Kenwood 600T tuner gets more action and play time than it ever did back in Texas. It all comes down to the station and the folks running it. The corporation spreadsheet top music format is boring and means less listeners. Time to make stations that are fun and unpredictable again.
Old 12-27-2017, 10:50 AM
Serious Tapehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by IXLR8 View Post
We moved two years back to SW Colorado right in the thick of mountain country. Thought FM radio would be pretty dismal at best but that wasn't the case at all. Our local NPR is a wonderful channel playing things that never are on big city radio. The town of Ouray has a 100 watt station run by high school students that plays all sorts excellent music and different formats that make you want listen the radio again. My Wife found a station that must have translator near us that plays many of the great old country and western oldies that have disappeared from the mainstream airwaves. My Kenwood 600T tuner gets more action and play time than it ever did back in Texas. It all comes down to the station and the folks running it. The corporation spreadsheet top music format is boring and means less listeners. Time to make stations that are fun and unpredictable again.
In my travels all over the country I've found that smaller markets tend to have better programming. Generally in the 88-92 band, but even the larger commercial stations in small markets are superior to the clear channel garbage. It really is a shame what has happened to most of the dial. If I wanted to hear the same classic rock songs over and over, I'd just plug in a USB stick in my car. We're lucky to have some good college stations here in the Chicago area where you can still discover new music.
Old 12-27-2017, 11:05 AM
Serious Tapehead

I have given up on FM here in the Netherlands...
the only programs worth listing is BBC2 and maybe in the night time when some interesting programs are popping in...
And since I'm asleep then, its no use...

For a very long time I had my eyes on a TU-X1, or if that wasn't achievable a TU-919 but the whole discussion when analog radio will stop in combination with what is on the freaking cable here I cant be bothered any more...

I might want to have a Sansui Eight DeLuxe or a 1000a (both receivers) but only for aesthetics...

Tapedecks: Nakamichi 1000 ZXL, 480 & 480Z, High-Com II, NR-200, Sony 55ES DAT
Turntables: C.E.C. ST-930, Jelco 750D, van den Hul MC One Special / SL-1200MKII, Audioquest PT-6, Audio Technica AT-ML150/OCC / Densen DP-Drive, DP-04 @ MC - DP-Drive Imp. DP-04 @ MM
Amplifiers: Ensemble Virtuoso pre - Corifeo Power
Speakers : Martin Logan Arius i

Old 01-06-2018, 12:42 PM
Hoarder Extraordinaire

I live near one of the best jazz stations in the US, which is KMHD. I have a hard time getting a good solid signal inside but it comes in fine in my car. I suppose if you have a good tuner and a good FM antenna it might make sense. But really there is not much out there worth listening to beyond a few holdovers that donít play corporate playlists of songs that we have all heard thousands of times already.

Would you like to see your company or site here?  CONTACT US
For more Tapeheads affiliates and links, see the Links and Resources page.