Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums
High quality analog audio tape for professionals and enthusiasts alike.

Go Back   Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums > Service, Restorations, Helpful How-Tos, Parts and Manuals, Ads and More! > PACKING - How to do it!

PACKING - How to do it! Need to ship something? This is where you can share your ideas.

Donate to Tapeheads!

Old 11-20-2017, 08:53 AM
TapeHeads.Net Member

boxes for shipping reels

I am planning on liquidating a large collection of reel tapes and looking to buy some good shipping boxes. I figure if I sell them in lots of 20 tapes, the boxes won't be overwhelmingly heavy.

So a stack of 20 of them measure 7 1/8" x 7 1/8" x 12 7/8"

I see some boxes that are 7 x 7 x 13 and I'm wondering if there is enough "give" to the boxes that they will work (with the idea being that a titghtly packed box will not have anything moving around).

Or is a 13 x 8 x 8 a better idea with some packing? or 14 x 9 x 9?

I'd love to hear what you folks have done in the past. My main goal is obviously to protect the contents during shipping. A secondary goal is a combination of using the same box to streamline the shipping and the ability to order to benefit from bulk cost savings by ordering multiples of the same box.

What would you do (or have you done in the past)?

Thanks in advance for your time and advice.
Old 11-21-2017, 02:20 AM
Serious Tapehead

Ok, a question or 3,,,
What do you have? I see they are 7", are they metal reels or plastic? What care box are they in? What brand/s type/s of tape? What is the condition of them? What if anything is recorded on them? At what speed?

Something about UPS, FEDEX and USPS each of these can destroy your package with great speed. You will need more than negative room in the box and some padding. USPS media mail has worked well for me, as good as any other. When I worked for TVG we pack a computer and tossed it off a 2 story building, opened the box and plugged in the PC, it worked so the box was UPS/FEDEX approved for shipping these PCs!

But before you get to far into this, look into what you have as many older tapes suffer from SSS or LoL. Acetate tape should be avoided as it is like sand paper to the heads. No one will want these types of tapes (that is no one that knows what they are) except for the care box and reel to put new tape in/on. Maxell sells well,,, PM me and I will tell you what I have been paying for 7" media, not that I am buying,,,
Old 11-21-2017, 03:18 AM
Serious Tapehead

mikeslps it would be worth adding where you are to your profile as it can effect advice.

Akai 1721L, Akai 4000DS, A77, X-10, X-1000, 32, BR-20, BR-20T, MD-350, Ferrograph Logic 7, Kenwood DMF-3020, DMF-3090, Sony TC-399, DRM-555, DA-30, DN-C635, DN-T625, NAD 6155, NAD 5120, NAD 314, NAD AV 713, NAD T531, Otari MX-5050 BII 2, Phillips N3408, QUAD 33, 34, FM4, 303s, Sony MZ-G750 x 2

Would you like to see your company or site here?  CONTACT US
For more Tapeheads affiliates and links, see the Links and Resources page.