Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums
High quality analog audio tape for professionals and enthusiasts alike.

Go Back   Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums > Tape, Taping and Tape Machines > Reel To Reel

Reel To Reel All discussions pertaining to reel to reel decks. These include general usage, recording, playback, and service questions. For subjects related to tape itself, see the Open Reel subforum under this one. Obscure service subjects that don't quite fit go in the Help and Do It Yourself subforum.

Donate to Tapeheads!

Old 03-03-2010, 08:16 PM
Capture The Light

Teac A-4010 SL

I got this unit for free a little over a year ago and everything seems to work but the switches need some deoxit. Cosmetically, the unit is in very good condition and so my question is this: Where does this unit sit among others (Teac or not) in terms of specs, etc.?

Even though I am big fan of my Pioneer RTR's I find this Teac to be intriguing and may be worth my while to clean her up and see how she does. What do you guys think?

I know, I know, where are the pics? I promise, I will make some portraits of her real soon and post asap.
Old 03-03-2010, 08:36 PM
ponderin perpetual motion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer Vato View Post
I got this unit for free a little over a year ago and everything seems to work but the switches need some deoxit. Cosmetically, the unit is in very good condition and so my question is this: Where does this unit sit among others (Teac or not) in terms of specs, etc.?

Even though I am big fan of my Pioneer RTR's I find this Teac to be intriguing and may be worth my while to clean her up and see how she does. What do you guys think?

I know, I know, where are the pics? I promise, I will make some portraits of her real soon and post asap.
never owned one but got to use one back in '73 for several months. used it to record albums to tape.
it made some excellent sounding tapes!
Old 03-03-2010, 10:00 PM
Inactive

For those like me who can't wait, is it like this beasty?? http://www.g4nsj.co.uk/teac.shtml
Old 03-03-2010, 10:53 PM
Lurker Extraordinaire

at one time, i had a couple of 4010's. i don't remember what series. they were almost identical, but did have a difference or two. only one worked, and i never recorded with it. i had a few pre-recorded tapes with them. they were nice, heavy machines. i don't really know how they compared to other decks, but i'd say it would be worth a little time and effort to fix it up.
Old 03-04-2010, 05:50 AM
Capture The Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuwee View Post
For those like me who can't wait, is it like this beasty?? http://www.g4nsj.co.uk/teac.shtml
Yep, that would be the one but I will still post some pics soon. And she is a beasty cuz' she sure is packing the pounds.
Old 03-04-2010, 12:29 PM
Skywave Tape Deck Repair

Hi pioneer,
Those models were tanks. They are really good units that suffer with the common problems of age and these were the Viet Nam era machines. To some of you youngsters, that war is ancient history. For me, it ended as I was getting out of high school otherwise I probably would have been over there.
The Teac needs some modification to the record circuits for the newer type of tape that we have today. That is not to say it will not record but that it was built with the then present day tape being like 177 and that formula.
New tape today is several formula improvements as well as 3 to 4 decades away from it' s design. There is little wrong with the deck on mechanically restored and lubricated. It most likely will need brake pads at this point, a new capstan belt, oil in all motors, the Capstan Shaft will need to be reconditioned and the record EQ caps will need to be made smaller is size.
With good heads and with the modifications done this machine can get to 20KHz at 0 VU with a good tape. It is capable of some nice recordings and many years of playback since it uses the never stopping AC type motors.
When the time comes, even CA heads can be put onto the machine. The Pinch Roller if hard can be rebuilt by Terry Witt and will then keep you going for many years. I have worked on many of these over the years.
It is not my favorite machine but not that bad either.

Sam Palermo, BSEE , ProSquad Member
Skywave Tape Deck Repair- Chicago area
(630)616-0932 Office/ Email skywavebe@sbcglobal.net
Past Teac/Tascam Lead Service Technician at Chicago Factory Service still doing repairs.
http://s609729863.onlinehome.us/tape...uipment-repair
Now accepting MC, Visa, Amex & Discover Cards!

Last edited by Skywavebe; 03-04-2010 at 12:31 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-04-2010, 12:37 PM
TapeHeads.Net Member

I owned an A1200-U and a 4010-SL. The 4010 was a good bit further up the line. Later they came out with even cooler decks. It is well worth cleaning and setting it up for your favorite tape.

Please post pictures.
Old 03-04-2010, 05:50 PM
Jammis Archivivist

4010-SL

I just got one for free at christmas myself. I changed the belt, lubed motors, lubed switches, But the tape tends to slow and stop past the halfway point(along with other issues). When I push up on the pinch roller, the tape rolls thru, and the pinch roller rubber seems soft enough, so how do I recondition the capstan? I'm going to check the pinch roller pressure as well. The limited recording I've done makes me want to continue, as the solenoid controls are really nice to work.
Old 03-04-2010, 05:54 PM
Jammis Archivivist

A 4010-SL

pictures of mine thus far...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 036.jpg (143.5 KB, 109 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 037.jpg (139.8 KB, 107 views)
Old 03-04-2010, 06:11 PM
Skywave Tape Deck Repair

Hi Johnny R.,
The Pinch Roller pressure has to be right but also if the Capstan Shaft is glazed from too much wear- slippng could be going on. How I recondition a Capstan Shaft is the easy way- I use double sided tape on an old pinch roller and then cover that with a 60-80 grit strip of sandpaper that is slightly larger than the width of the Pinch Roller. The tape MUST hold the sandpaper down good as the seam coming up will stop the roller and cause scratching rather than imprinting the surface of the capstan. When you are done in about 5 to 8 minutes of play. Clean off the Capstan Shaft and look at it with good magnification and it will look like it has a rough surface again. It is not the same as a professional job but keep in mind the the diameter has to stay about the same as the AC motor has no speed adjustments on it.
The Pinch Roller pressure used to be measured with fish scales but now days I use a more accurate and easier to use digital bike scale that reads either pounds or Kg. This is a measurement done while playing a tape- junk tape OK, and pulling in the axis of the Pinch Roller to the Capstan shaft away from the shaft until you see the roller stop turning. I think it used to be 2.2 Kg or about 4 Lbs for those. The adjustment is made with that screw and spring at the center area of the deck above the heads.
You can see it very well in your photos.

Past Teac/Tascam Lead Service Technician at Chicago Factory Service still doing repairs.
Old 03-04-2010, 06:33 PM
Jammis Archivivist

I don't have a spare pinch roller- I got into R2R last august, after finding some 3 inch reels in my closet, which had voice recordings of my relatives in 1970, including my dead grandpa. NOW, I have 5! I was advised to use 2000 grit wet/dry sandpaper(wet) to treat the pinchroller-No Good? Alternatives?
Old 03-04-2010, 06:38 PM
Jammis Archivivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer Vato View Post

I tried an NOS Maxell "UD35-7" on mine, and the results make me believe that scotch 207 was the proper tape for the high bias setting.
Old 03-23-2010, 09:05 AM
TapeHeads.Net Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny Ramone View Post
pictures of mine thus far...
Thanks, that was a stroll down memory lane for me.
Old 07-18-2010, 04:46 AM
Jammis Archivivist

It wont record!!!!

I reconditioned the capstan, and upped the pinch roller tension - it plays beautifully, but stopped recording. Before it stopped , I had to shut off the power to get it to dis-engage. The micro-switches work, and the relays can be seen working when put into the slot for tape speed - the other 2 positions do not generate movement. What are they for? It seems that speed, play, and record would be right, but speed is the only visible one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 132.jpg (52.7 KB, 55 views)
Old 07-19-2010, 05:07 PM
Serious Tapehead

Quote:
I reconditioned the capstan, and upped the pinch roller tension - it plays beautifully, but stopped recording. Before it stopped , I had to shut off the power to get it to dis-engage. The micro-switches work, and the relays can be seen working when put into the slot for tape speed - the other 2 positions do not generate movement. What are they for? It seems that speed, play, and record would be right, but speed is the only visible one.
Check the solenoid that engages the the pitch wheel, clean it and check to see if it loose. I had a 4010S, that it would go in and out of record, after 5-15 seconds. Replaced the capacitors on the relay circuit, which I remember hold the circuit that engages the solenoid, worked for 5 minutes and would stop. Discover the solenoid was loose and it moved about 1/16" of an inch. Then it stayed in Record . I could have loosend it when I replaced the belt and didn't tighten it, or after cleaning it, I didn't remember doing it but it was loose.
Old 07-22-2010, 03:22 PM
Jammis Archivivist

huh?

What's the pitch wheel?
Old 07-26-2010, 06:31 AM
Serious Tapehead

Quote:
What's the pitch wheel?
S/b pinch wheel
Old 07-26-2010, 11:27 AM
Jammis Archivivist

It plays fine; record doesn't engage.
Old 07-26-2010, 01:02 PM
Skywave Tape Deck Repair

Hi Johnny,
Do you have a scope to check if the Bias oscillator is turning on?
Do the red Record indicators turn on- I'm trying to remember the front panel.
There should be an indicator that record is on sometimes these are burned out lamps so record can be on without you knowing it- Erase is the indication that it is working or not. With all the activity in the mechanics it doesn't take much to burn out an old lamp.

Old 07-26-2010, 07:09 PM
Jammis Archivivist

The lights don't come on. I don't have a scope(How much for one?). This seems to be a common problem with this series at this point in time - if I can lick this, a lot of other owners might also benefit. The record function would "stick" - hitting stop wouldn't disengage it - I had to turn off the power.

Would you like to see your company or site here?  CONTACT US
For more Tapeheads affiliates and links, see the Links and Resources page.