Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums
High quality analog audio tape for professionals and enthusiasts alike.

Go Back   Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums > Tape, Taping and Tape Machines > Reel To Reel

Reel To Reel All discussions pertaining to reel to reel decks. These include general usage, recording, playback, and service questions. For subjects related to tape itself, see the Open Reel subforum under this one. Obscure service subjects that don't quite fit go in the Help and Do It Yourself subforum.

Donate to Tapeheads!

Old 08-19-2013, 03:00 AM
TapeHeads.Net Member

teac 4010

I have owned a number of these in the past. They have gone through many design changes over the years. All variations used the same designation. What I need is the service manual for a specific design. This one used the 400s transport married to the AR40S preamp. Always two separate units. The design I am after uses an internal small cable permanently attached to the amp in one corner and connected to the transport using a small 11 pin connector. All the needed wires are in that one cable. Gone are the 3 inter connecting cables. Gone are any audio circuits in the transport. I need the specific model # designation including any special identifiers so I can find the service manual for it.
Old 08-19-2013, 09:35 AM
Skywave Tape Deck Repair

I was faced with a like conundrum when I had a unit here that was different than all the manuals I could get online. It had three relays in the audio section. I finally got a tremendous manual from Stereomanuals.com in paper that was better than all the manuals I have ever seen in the past and have worked for Teac. Contact Rick and get the manual from him.
Having worked on one not too long ago, I will say there is a cable that is also needed from the left side of the deck that goes into the head preamp socket. There are guys out there taking these apart and doing experimentation which may have removed this item. The unit I have always dealt with had a cable from each side. If your deck has only one right side cable then how are they doing the amplification of the heads or audio signal? One reason people may have removed the cable is due to use of the external head play preamp. This unit and the heads on it is too old to benefit from that design. Also the head reversing relay may still be in the left side of the transport- this is where the head signal is switched.

Sam Palermo, BSEE , ProSquad Member
Skywave Tape Deck Repair- Chicago area
(630)616-0932 Office/ Email skywavebe@sbcglobal.net
Past Teac/Tascam Lead Service Technician at Chicago Factory Service still doing repairs.
http://s609729863.onlinehome.us/tape...uipment-repair
Now accepting MC, Visa, Amex & Discover Cards!
Old 12-22-2015, 04:05 PM
TapeHeads Newbie

A 4010 vs A4010S

I have just resurrected my 4010 from it's 10 year rest in the basement. All functions seem to be working just fine, but I know it will need a lube and probably belts. Am taking it to am "expert" (local Vintage stereo shop) to have the heads aligned and give it an overall check. Look forward to playing my old late 60's/early 70's tapes.
I keep seeing all the 4010's identified as 4010S but the head cover on my machine says only A 4010, with no "S". The output amp is a RA 40S.
What is the difference between my machine and a 4010S, and are parts such as belts and pinch rollers compatible?
If it helps, this is the machine I purchased in Japan in 1968 on R&R from Vietnam. Don't know if the A4010 was a Japan only model.
Thanks for any help
Old 12-22-2015, 11:20 PM
Skywave Tape Deck Repair

Make sure it is not set for 100Vac as that is the Japan supply voltage and here in the USA will be overloaded by 20%.
They made these over a number of years and so some models get letter added on just to signify a different addition or a model change. I don't think there is too much difference in mechanics but there can be in the electronics sections. it doesn't really matter what version though because they are all old and in the model list requiring cap changes at this point. The unit is a rugged machine when it is fixed right but at least 3 hours are needed to make corrections to all that is usually wrong in the unit.
I would not worry about if belts are compatible between models as you are not going to take a belt off a 40 year old machine and put it on yours- that does not make any sense. A Technician will either look up the model number in the PRB cross reference or have it in his notes from earlier repairs and put a fresh one on. The bearing oil and lubrication is just as important as the belt and the new brake pads will be a necessity that will keep your precious tapes from snapping. Why do people wait until after they wreck their tapes to then want the brakes fixed? I have told them the brakes are no good several times in posts here.

Sam Palermo, BSEE , ProSquad Member
Skywave Tape Deck Repair- Chicago area
(630)616-0932 Office/ Email skywavebe@sbcglobal.net
Past Teac/Tascam Lead Service Technician at Chicago Factory Service still doing repairs.
http://s609729863.onlinehome.us/tape...uipment-repair
Now accepting MC, Visa, Amex & Discover Cards!
Old 12-23-2015, 05:07 AM
Boy's bright, but he don't allways listen!

OP asked "Am taking it to am "expert""

While Sam can be a tad ornery he is an expert in Teac as well as other decks. He worked for Teac in it's "heyday" and has proven his worth many times.

Need a Teac recapped? Heads installed? I do that! Contact me thru a PM.

Would you like to see your company or site here?  CONTACT US
For more Tapeheads affiliates and links, see the Links and Resources page.