Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums
High quality analog audio tape for professionals and enthusiasts alike.

Go Back   Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums > General Audio Discussions > Complete Systems

Complete Systems Is the whole greater than the sum of the parts? Hash the details out here.

Donate to Tapeheads!

Old 07-19-2010, 07:50 PM
Burning Tape

Crown Pre, power, switcher, power supply

I gotta take better pictures to be able to post in this section.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 600-2.jpg (48.0 KB, 102 views)
Old 07-19-2010, 09:20 PM
The King of CROWN!

Talking

Too bad that the "other site" doesn't have a designated Crown forum.
Old 07-19-2010, 09:24 PM
Serious AudioHead

Congrats! Where is your FM-1?
Old 07-20-2010, 02:52 PM
Burning Tape

Well Sam, In keeping the cost of this system as low as possible for high quality gear, I have an Adcom GFT-555II hooked up to it. This was a freecycle (with box and manual) get. CD players don't count as they are ubiquitous and cheap. There is a single, 5-disc and 25-disc unit hooked up. Only a couple of the three tape slots are loaded, cassette and rtr. The other rtr is in the main rig. And one processor loop is open. I need to grab that EQ from the basement and hook it up next to the SAE 5000.

The table that came with the Crown preamp was a KD-600 with a Fidelity Research FR-64s with a Koetsu Black. Speakers are currently a set of Time Windows that I paid $4.00 in tolls to pick up. I need to swap them for the Magneplanar MG-2.5/R set I picked up recently for less, but they may need new ribbon tweeters.

It was fun putting this system together. I need to work on the faceplate of the D-150 and see if I can make it Satin finished to match.
Old 07-20-2010, 04:16 PM
Proud Jaguar Owner

Just as gorgeous here as on that other site......if not more

I envy you.

Technics SL-1200mk2, Ortofon OM20, Hyper-modded Audio Research SP3, Poseidon'd Dynaco MkIII's (or a Yamaha PC-5002M), Klipsch Chorus II's
The Deck Collection: Ampex AG-440B (x2), Ampex AG-351, MCI JH-110C, Teac A-3340S, Tascam 34B, 48, 122B, DA-38, 3M 1/2" 4tk M64, Technics RS-1500, Tandberg 62x, Teac 3300S, Otari MX-5050, and more!
Old 07-21-2010, 05:42 AM
Serious AudioHead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark J View Post
Well Sam, In keeping the cost of this system as low as possible for high quality gear, I have an Adcom GFT-555II hooked up to it. This was a freecycle (with box and manual) get. CD players don't count as they are ubiquitous and cheap. There is a single, 5-disc and 25-disc unit hooked up. Only a couple of the three tape slots are loaded, cassette and rtr. The other rtr is in the main rig. And one processor loop is open. I need to grab that EQ from the basement and hook it up next to the SAE 5000.

The table that came with the Crown preamp was a KD-600 with a Fidelity Research FR-64s with a Koetsu Black. Speakers are currently a set of Time Windows that I paid $4.00 in tolls to pick up. I need to swap them for the Magneplanar MG-2.5/R set I picked up recently for less, but they may need new ribbon tweeters.

It was fun putting this system together. I need to work on the faceplate of the D-150 and see if I can make it Satin finished to match.
Ah, BANG FOR THE BUCK approach! Getting an FM-1 with wood case will set you back far more than what you have in the rest of your system. I have found only one FM-1 in all my searches and it did not have the wood case. IIRC, it was a touchy tuner. I got it to work decently well in my home but I shipped it during the dead of winter to the mid-west and the cold shock made it unstable. Anyways, the digital action was not very good. It was slow to seek.
Old 07-21-2010, 05:48 AM
Serious Tapehead

Gorgeous
Old 07-23-2010, 03:16 PM
Burning Tape

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Monte Slim View Post
Too bad that the "other site" doesn't have a designated Crown forum.
I don't know if the other site could handle a dedicated Crown Forum. TH got more replies to this picture and the other site got the picture of the TT included as a freebee. There seems to be a lot of folks over there that are so into the standard receivers that they miss the higher end gear completely.

I mean they drool about an SX-1980 which by all accounts doesn't sound very good compared to lesser SXes or compared to decent separate components. Yet that group would rather see another picture of the 1980 than a stack of Crown that would equal or exceed the 1980 such as this preamp, output control, FM1 and a pair of DC-300as in cabinets which could all be bought on the bay for less than the standard 1980.

I guess I need to share my pics here and leave the receiver class over there.

Sure there are some nice receivers and I know Sam has collected and sold a few as we all probably have, I was just making a comparison.
Old 07-24-2010, 08:31 AM
Serious Tapehead

You make some good points there Mark
Old 07-24-2010, 04:49 PM
The King of CROWN!

Smile Crown-ing Glory

We have to keep in mind that the "other forum" is huge and has lots of members with their own special interests. I wonder how many joined just to ask the value of an item or get help with how to use it?

There is a small contingent of folks that know and appreciate Crown gear, but I think you're right about some folks "raving on" about monster receivers. Like you, I'm not knocking those monster receivers, but I don't believe they sound any better than my vintage Pioneer SX-828.

The Crown components like in your photo and mine would take them to a different level of performance and quality construction. But then again, if everyone knew that, it would be tougher to get a deal like we got. The fellow that sold them to me does HT installation for new home builders. He had done a HT install for a customer who then asked for some extra work and offered to trade him the gear that I listed. The HT install guy either didn't know what he had or didn't care, as he just wanted to buy a little jon boat to go fishing in.

Nice score on the vintage Crown gear. A good while back I decided to focus on the last series of Preamplifiers and Tuners that Crown produced, even though I really like the series you scored on. It would be really nice to find a SA2 Power Amplifier to match up with that DL2, or the EQ2.

I picked up this "stack", consisting of a PSL-2, PFM-3 and PL-4, a few weeks ago. I found this on CL, along with a Nakamichi CDC-4A CD Changer, a JVC KD-25 Cassette Deck, a pair of Technics SB-X500 speakers (that need refoaming) and a pair of speaker stands.

It was a package deal, but the price I paid was far less than what any 2 of the Crown pieces would sell for. As I am sure you have noticed, all 3 of the Crown pieces came with the walnut enclosures.

Of course, they duplicate 3 other "sets" of PSL-2, PFM-3 and PS-400 that I have, but I couldn't pass them up!

Old 07-24-2010, 05:48 PM
Burning Tape

Three sets!!!
That must be nice.

I'm using the Crown now with a borrowed pair of Odyssey Khartago amps driving the MG-IIIa set. All but two inputs are full, still available are the second processor loop and the X & Y inputs. I'm getting an idea of how this preamp sounds since it is in complete control of the system.

Mike brought over the amps on Monday to let them vacation at my house while he is out of town. These current-production, highly-rated amps sound good and I'm going to use this opportunity to evaluate the Crown and my other preamps, as well as compare them to the D-150.

Would you like to see your company or site here?  CONTACT US
For more Tapeheads affiliates and links, see the Links and Resources page.