Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums
High quality analog audio tape for professionals and enthusiasts alike.

Go Back   Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums > Tape, Taping and Tape Machines > Other Tape

Other Tape Any analog format other than cassette or reel to reel; 8-track, Elcaset, microcassette, VHS, etc.

Donate to Tapeheads!

Old 10-12-2017, 12:26 PM
Runrig Fan

Reelspin Funai VCR not working properly...

I have this Funai 21B-200 VCR (All scream in horror) which seems to have a slight issue, when rewind the supply reel does not spin but the take-up fires the tape out into the head which seems to have a sticky substance on it causing the tapes to get stuck on it (also does not insert tape into cassette). What do I do? Ive had the following error codes: 1, 3 And 4, does anyone know what these codes are, do they mean anything major. I will politely ask anyone with experience with these plastic nightmares to step forward and help!

Many thanks,

Ryan
Old 10-12-2017, 01:27 PM
Serious Tapehead

Error codes mean the transport is not moving as expected. In other words, things are jammed up as you can see for yourself. Now, what has the sticky substance on it? The head, the takeup reel, or the tape? Which head?
Old 10-14-2017, 10:55 AM
Runrig Fan

Sorry I could reply quicker, I used some isopropyl alcohol on the parts that had the substance, it is gone but the picture is in Black and White and jumps around the screen a lot
Old 10-14-2017, 04:58 PM
Skywave Tape Deck Repair

I spent a lot of hours working on Video decks through the years. One Funai that Teac sold stumped all kinds of people and what I found was the real problem was that a rubber bumper in his case was either compressed or shrunk and made the mechanism go out of tolerance- I put a new bumper on and the deck worked like new- 6 hours and now we know. The answer can be there but the time is needed to find out what the real problem is.

Video heads can be contaminated quickly but should be able to be cleaned just do not use cotton swabs and not to rub up and down which will break the head off. Sometimes dirty heads can stop the Chroma and let the Luminance through. Some cheaper decks had a relay in a shielded box that when tapped would give back a signal. The grease in guide track can harden and get in the way of the thread or they could be out of adjustment.
You need a scope on the RF test point to adjust them with the trigger on the switch 30 sync TP. If you look at a NTSC waveform on a scope you can see if the Chroma Burst is present. If not then no color.
Waveform will be similar to PAL just different rate.

Sam Palermo, BSEE , ProSquad Member
Skywave Tape Deck Repair- Chicago area
(630)616-0932 Office/ Email skywavebe@sbcglobal.net
Past Teac/Tascam Lead Service Technician at Chicago Factory Service still doing repairs.
http://s609729863.onlinehome.us/tape...uipment-repair
Now accepting MC, Visa, Amex & Discover Cards!
Old 10-14-2017, 11:17 PM
Serious Tapehead

When it comes to VCRs, the first thing is to make sure everything is clean and free of deposits. Use isopropol alcohol, but stay away from the little heads on the round spinning drum. Clean the drum carefully, but don't go anywhere NEAR the heads (those little slots) with the cotton swab. Heads are tiny and brittle and break easily (if you break one, you're screwed!). Make sure ALL parts where the tape go are hermetically CLEAN, especially the metal capstan and rubber pinch roller. Let it all dry and try it again.

Look at other things too. Like, is the display flickering or dim? Are any of the capacitors near the power cord (power supply) leaking good or domed at the top? Do you see any burned or dark areas on the power supply board? Power supply issues are common (especially dry or leaking capacitors) and lead to voltage drops which screws up the IC's logic circuits and ultimately makes VCRs act 'goofy'.

Then there are the possibility of mechanical issues too (belts, mode switches, gears, etc).

Start with cleaning first ...VCRs need to be absolutely clean to work properly!

Last edited by Jeepwalker; 10-14-2017 at 11:19 PM.
Old 10-15-2017, 01:08 PM
Serious Tapehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbaSCR240 View Post
Sorry I could reply quicker, I used some isopropyl alcohol on the parts that had the substance, it is gone but the picture is in Black and White and jumps around the screen a lot
You may also have shedding tapes. If that's the case, you will need to clean the tape guides inside the cassette shell as well as your VCR. Also, remove the reels and subject them to dry heat at 135 F for 12 or more hours. This is most easily accomplished with a food dehydrator; don't use a gas oven because they produce a lot of moisture, which is the enemy.
Old 10-16-2017, 02:27 AM
Dream tape never ends

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVRaines View Post
You may also have shedding tapes.
Never heard of sticky shed syndrome (SSS) occurring to home VHS tapes, which is what the heating treatment is supposed to "cure" (actually, it just stabilizes the tapes enough for transfer, it doesn't fix them forever). AFAIK it only happens to specific audio and video open reel tape formulations from the 60s and 70s.

That being said, VHS tapes can go bad and foul up the delicate VHS heads for various reasons, including going moldy, nicotine-stained, or simply the formulation breaking down. In such cases, simply toss the offending tapes, as there's very little one can do at home to recover them, especially when a delicate transport is involved. If the material that's on them is valuable, a professional recovery service is your bet bet.
Old 10-16-2017, 02:40 AM
Serious Tapehead

Assuming the deck is in its perfect state, these may also be the symptoms of a wrong TV system.

However, this deck I wouldn't not get even if I would be paid 100 (ok, maybe I'll keep the money and dump it in the bin in the dark night when everybody sleeps, of course, apart from the 72 years old neighbour lady )

When you'll realise that spending money on these schrott is nothing than spent money with no gained benefits? Pay 20-30 for a decent JVC/Panasonic/Sony and live happy and trouble-free...
Old 10-16-2017, 11:33 AM
Serious Tapehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velktron View Post
Never heard of sticky shed syndrome (SSS) occurring to home VHS tapes, which is what the heating treatment is supposed to "cure" (actually, it just stabilizes the tapes enough for transfer, it doesn't fix them forever). AFAIK it only happens to specific audio and video open reel tape formulations from the 60s and 70s.

That being said, VHS tapes can go bad and foul up the delicate VHS heads for various reasons, including going moldy, nicotine-stained, or simply the formulation breaking down. In such cases, simply toss the offending tapes, as there's very little one can do at home to recover them, especially when a delicate transport is involved. If the material that's on them is valuable, a professional recovery service is your bet bet.
"The formulation breaking down" is exactly the problem of soft binder syndrome. It afflicts various tapes manufactured into the 1990s. The only brand of sticky VHS tape that I have encountered is Ampex 189. I am also encountering unplayable U-matic cassettes from the 1980s.

Would you like to see your company or site here?  CONTACT US
For more Tapeheads affiliates and links, see the Links and Resources page.